Table of Contents
National Fried Clam Day 2023 date is July 3 is observed as the National Fried Clam Day, every year. The whole attraction of the day is the fried clams. And they are served and tasted all over the New England States.
Are you wondering what a Clam is? A clam is a type of shellfish that can be seen in saltwater as well as freshwater. It consists of two shells that are almost equal in six and connected firmly by two adductor muscles. As a preparatory dish, they serve to be savoring and delicious. Seaside clam cabins or roadside eateries serve these delicious nuggets and serve to be the main source for anyone attempting them. The clams are soaked in milk and covered with a combination of regular, corn, and/or pastry flour. Then the spread clams are fried in oil. They can be “clam strips” or whole soft-shell clams. Whole soft-shell clams give a fuller flavor and taste of their essence. Nonetheless, some eateries exclude the clam’s neck.
The Story Behind the National Clam Day 2023
July 3 is observed as national fried clam day as it was the day the first fried clam was produced in 1916 by Lawrence Henry “Chubby” Woodman and his partner Bessie. Nobody had ever heard of a fried clam till then, and it only came off because of a comment that was made by a buyer at Woodman’s granting stand on Main Street in Essex, Massachusetts. The couple began recalling what the customer had said and decided to give it a try. They explored different recipes and got the locals to try them out, and it was only when someone found them rich that they knew they had something good.
The day was July 3, 1916. The following day, July 4, which is observed as Independence Day in the USA, Chubby and Bessie put forward their first fried clams to the residents of Essex at the time of the parade. They were an immediate success. Woodman’s of Essex gave a proposal for National Fried Clam Day in May 2015, and the Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed National Fried Clam Day to be seen annually on July 3rd.
National Fried Clam Day 2023 Theme
The theme of “savoring and serving clam’ stands as prominent in the day. The basic theme of National Fried Clam day is essentially the focus of clams. The day is devoted to celebrating with variant clam dishes and especially introducing the new clam recipes if possible. The remembrance of the couple story too stands as a highlight here.
How to Celebrate National Clam Day?
- Go out with your family, friends and dear ones to have some fried clams. Usually, this day gave away a large discount and offers for the variety of dishes related to the clam.
- Try out a new form of clam dish and savor the variant tastes
- You can also celebrate it by trying out the recipe for yourself
- If your recipe is a success, then share it will others and make it a hit
- Have you seen someone who doesn’t have the clams yet in their life? Use this day to let them explore the taste of clam and amuse them
- If anyone is aware of the day, let them know about the clam day
- Gift clams on this day and sees the smiles on others face
Interesting Facts About Fried Clam Day
- Clams have no nose, eyes, or head, only feet for burrowing into the sand to hide from prey
- A normal clam can live till it is about 33 to 36 years old
- Clams has low cholesterol and fat. but fried clams absorb cooking fat
- Fried clams are quite popular in new England compared to the United States. However, fried clam is reported to be originated from the United States.
- There are about 150 edible clam species.
National Fried Clam Day Timeline
- 16200 B.C. – Seen as a seafood dinner. Trace of shellfish feasts and dinners from the South African caves are found. This proves the existence of shellfish foods from the initial time.
- 1914 – In Essex, Massachusetts Chubby and Bessie Woodman start a seaside view to selling soft shell clams and ice cream to the residents nearby.
- 1916 – A delicious clam opening. Bessie and Chubby Woodman offer deep-fried clams in their hometown of Essex during the town’s yearly Fourth of July ceremony of US Independence.
- 2015 – First National Fried Clam Day is observed and celebrated on July 3 and is officially declared National Fried Clam Day
|2018||3rd July||Tuesday||United States|
|2019||3rd July||Wednesday||United States|
|2020||3rd July||Friday||United States|
|2021||3rd July||Saturday||United States|
Are You Excited to Try the Recipe?
Get a bowl, combine 2 egg yolks, half cup of milk, a quarter cup of water, half cup of all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly. then as the next step, you can join the egg white and mix it well and we have with us the perfect batter. Now you can pour oil into a pan, take the clams and drop it in the batter. Deep fry it, serve it with the barbarian sauce.
Happy Eating! Enjoy the Clam!