Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from June 15 to June 22, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 June 15 to June 22
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week June 15 to June 22, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
CM Uddhav Thackray and Dr Harshvardhan launched ‘I-FLOWS’ a flood warning system in Mumbai
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Uddhav Thackeray and Union Earth science Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan jointly launched the Integrated Flood Warning System (I-FLOWS) in Mumbai.
- The system monitors the flood activities by providing early warning in the city during high rainfall and cyclone events by as early as 3 days in advance.
- It was developed by the Meteorological Department (IMD) and Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) functioning under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
Former NASA Astronaut & Geologist Kathy Sullivan becomes 1st Woman to Reach Deepest Point of Ocean
- On 7th June 2020, The 68-year-old Kathy Sullivan, Former NASA astronaut and Geologist became the first woman to reach the Challenger Deep, the deepest point in the ocean.
- It is located in the Mariana Trench, 7 miles below the surface of the Pacific Ocean which is 200 miles southwest of Guam.
- She was the first American Woman to walk in space in 1984.
Govt launches AarogyaPath portal for healthcare supply chain
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research National Health Supply Chain portal called “Arogya Path” was launched to provide real-time availability of health care supplies.
- The vision of this initiative is to set up an information management and forecasting database platform at national level.
- The National Health Emergency that is currently arising due to COVID-19 is disrupting ability to produce, supply chain disruptions and compromises in delivery of critical items. These issues can be addressed with the help of the portal.
Actor Sushant Singh Rajput dies
- On June 14, 2020, actor Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead in his Mumbai apartment.
- The actor has played lead roles in TV series. He won the best actor award at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne in 2017 for his movie M S Dhoni: The Untold Story.
- The actor was born in Patna. He was a mechanical engineer from Delhi College of Engineering.
Renowned Urdu poet Gulzar passes away
- Veteran Urdu poet Anand Mohan Zutshi ‘Gulzar’ Dehlvi (93 years) passed away in Noida due to coronavirus.
- He was the editor of the first Urdu science magazine ‘Science ki Duniya’ which was published by Government of India in 1975.
- He is also credited with opening Urdu schools across India. He was the founder of Anjuman Tamir-e-Urdu association.
Institute for Management Development releases World Competitive Index
- The Institute of Management Development recently released the World Competitive Index. India ranked 43rd in the ranking.
- In 2019, India was at the 43rd ranking. The continuous low ranking of India is mainly due to poor infrastructure and insufficient education investment.
- Singapore secured the top position in the ranking system. Denmark was at the second position, followed by Switzerland, Netherlands, Hong Kong.
Sanitary Napkins available for Rs.1 per pad at Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras
- Jan Aushadhi Suvidhi Sanitary Napkin is made available in more than 6300 Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushdhi Pariyojna, PMBJP Kendras across the country at a minimum price of Rs.1 per pad.
- The market price of the similar Sanitary Napkins is around Rs.3 to Rs.8 per pad. over 3.43 Crore pads have been sold till 10 June 2020 at Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras.
- It should be noticed that menstruation and menstrual practices still face some social, cultural, and religious restrictions which are a big barrier in the path of menstrual hygiene management.
Arunachal Pradesh: New Fish Species Discovered
- A new species of fish has been discovered in the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
- It was discovered by Dr. Keshav Kumar Jha, Associate Professor & Head, Department of Zoology, Jawaharlal Nehru College, Pasighat.
- The new species of the fish is named as Schizothorax sikusirumensis. It is from the genus Schizothorax.
Shakhriyar Mamedyarov wins World Stars Sharjah Online Championship
- Azerbaijan’s Shakhriyar Mamedyarov bagged top honours at the World Stars Sharjah Online International Chess Championship.
- He scored 7.5 points out of 10. He is awarded with title and price of $3000. The 2nd position is bagged by Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna with a score of 6.5 points out of 10.
- The Championship was hosted by Sharjah Cultural & Chess Club.
India elected as UNSC’s non-permanent member for 2-year term
- India is elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for a 2-year term after winning 184 votes in the 193-member UN General Assembly.
- Ireland, Mexico and Norway also won the Security Council elections along with India.
- India was the sole candidate from Asia-Pacific for the 2021-22 term. This is the 8th time when India is selected as a non-permanent member.
4th Asian Youth Para Games to be held in Bahrain in December 2021
- The Asian Paralympic Committee (APC) announced that the fourth Asian Youth Para Games will take place in Bahrain from December 1-10, 2021.
- Around 800 athletes under 20 years of age are expected to compete in nine sports: athletics, badminton, boccia, goalball, para taekwondo, powerlifting, swimming, table tennis and wheelchair basketball.
- The competition will take place across numerous venues in Khalifa Sports City, a multi-use stadium in Isa Town, and Isa Sports City.
Volkan Bozkir elected as the President of 75th UN General Assembly
- Turkish diplomat Volkan Bozkir has been elected as the President of 75th UN General Assembly through secret ballot voting.
- His term will begin from September 2020. Bozkir is the 1st Turkish national to head the General Assembly.
- He is presently serving as a Justice and Development Party lawmaker from Istanbul and head of the Turkish Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee.
Veteran economist & FC member B.P.R. Vithal passes away
- Former IAS officer (1950 batch) & Veteran economist B.P.R. Vithal (93-years) passed away.
- He also served as the Secretary, Finance and Planning, Government of Andhra Pradesh from (1972 to 1982).
- He was also Chairman, Expenditure Commission, the government of Kerala.
Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel named NIPFP chairman
- Former Reserve Bank governor Urjit Patel will take charge as chairman of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) from June 22.
- The NIPFP is an autonomous research institute under India’s Ministry of Finance.
- Patel studied at London School of Economics, Oxford University and Yale University, was a Kenyan national until 2013.
International Day of Yoga 2020 is celebrated on 21 June
- International Day of Yoga 2020 is celebrated on 21 June every year to create awareness globally about the benefits of practicing yoga.
- The aim is to improve health and create awareness about the importance of maintaining health to the people.
- The theme of the 6th International Day of Yoga 2020 is “Yoga at Home and Yoga with Family”.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.