Table of Contents
Finding good Yoga instructor job abroad can be tricky and becoming a certified yoga instructor is quite popular. 15,000+ people become yoga teachers each year. Studios are popping up all over the place. Going abroad to teach is a great way to gain experience and can be an extremely enriching life experience. Most countries simply require a 200-hour certification at an accredited school.
In this article, we share the steps you can take to help you get yoga instructor job abroad while offering tips and details about working as a yoga instructor in a foreign countries.
Yoga Instructor job Abroad
The positions outside an individual’s country of citizenship can offer unique opportunities to travel while earning a living wage. Finding a yoga job abroad may also give you the opportunity to taught new techniques in different places throughout the world. Working abroad can offer yoga instructors a range of locations and positions to practice, including luxury resorts, local studios etc.
Programs often focus on different styles of yoga, meditation practices, spiritual teachings from Hinduism using specific religious texts and physical posturing through anatomical study. To start a course, you’ll typically need a basic knowledge of yoga poses or asanas. A level of physical fitness abilities, including breathing, posture and flexibility.
How to get a Yoga Instructor job Abroad
One of the beautiful things about yoga is that we can share our practice all over the world. Yoga studios are popping up from Thailand to Tasmania – and they are looking for yoga teachers. Whether you are looking to build up your resume, move to an exotic location. Teach while traveling long term, there are many opportunities to volunteer or earn money as a yoga teacher abroad.
The following ideas can help you on your career path as you seek out yoga instructor positions in foriegn countries:
1. Start your practice at home
Before you plan to move and teach abroad, start a yoga business at home that can support you monetarily. Create your own website and gain email contacts so you can keep in touch with clients and offer online classes as you transition to living abroad. You can even continue teaching these clients in your new locale to keep a steady flow of income.
2. Find the best location
Instructing yoga abroad can be an exciting way to travel and earn an income at the same time. People practice yoga throughout the world, so it’s a good idea to pick a specific location based on your ability to secure housing, support yourself financially and get connected to local culture and society. If you are bilingual, you could choose to instruct in a country that speaks your second language. You might also want to consider areas where people traditionally practice yoga so you can easily find a local community as you begin instructing in a new country.
3. Get to know the local yoga scene
Before you go and after you arrive, it can be helpful to seek out the yoga community in a specific locale. Find the hubs for local classes and look for places in the area that draw like-minded individuals. Visiting a local yoga studio can help you get familiar with the region. Once you take a class or two, you can inquire about a position as an instructor.
4. Participate in workshops, retreats and free classes
Offering your services on a volunteer basis can be a good way to get started in a new place. By instructing in yoga for free, you can meet practitioners and other instructors in the area, prove your abilities and practice a yoga lifestyle in your new location. You might consider offering free classes at a local hostel or community center to help people get to know you as a local instructor.
5. Consider working in the tourism industry
When you’re ready to start working abroad, you may be able to find a position instructing yoga at an organization linked to tourism. Hotels, cruise ships and tour groups hire yoga teachers to guide travelers through classes as part of enrichment programs and tour itineraries. These jobs are often well-paid, with steady hours and guaranteed work.
6. Connect with clients using online yoga communities
One of the best ways to find yoga practitioners around the world is through online groups dedicated to creating a global community. These sites offer help for instructors trying to find work outside of their native country and can connect users to others from that location. Teaching abroad is something many yoga instructors pursue and those who have already made the decision to travel often assist others with the same goal.
7. CV to attract the Yoga employers
It is always found that people do not highlight their teaching skills or complete work experience. An employer who is looking to hire someone may not give more then 1 minute of time to your resume if he/she doesn’t find something matching and interesting which you do. Also support yourself mentioning about Yoga style or training experience they are looking for. Also, if you can do multiple things, it will pull employer attention to give extra points while interviewing.
Most import – Yoga is practical practice – show your video, Photo which is matching their requirements.
Yoga is a discipline that truly embodies the values of intuition, peacefulness and self-awareness. These values are of utmost significance and they must be a vital quality of every yoga instructor. Apart from these values, there are a number of essential traits that you must possess in order to become a successful yoga teacher. These traits include:
- Good communication skills
- Being able to engage with others, especially your students
- Core knowledge about yoga
To be a successful certified yoga teacher, you have the freedom to complete your bachelors’ and masters’ in any field of your choice. However, it is always recommended that you pursue a degree in yoga. Or a related field so that you are knowledgeable on its various aspects.
- The minimum age to pursue certification courses is 18 years.
- Complete training and earn a certification from a registered yoga school.
- Earn a CPR/First aid certification.
- Maintain and renew certifications as and when required.
Tips for finding a Yoga Instructor job abroad
Consider these tips to help you find the best yoga job in a foreign location:
Start your business before you leave
- Preparing to teach abroad can be much easier if you’ve already started marketing yourself as a yoga instructor at home.
- Starting a website and collecting email contacts can be a great way to earn clients and share testimonials as you look for students out of the country.
- Use your website to promote your specializations and experience, share social media channels and offer branded content your audience can repost. This can also allow you to develop your branding and marketing skills before taking your business to a new country.
Target your search keywords to an exact location
- Once you decide where you want to start teaching yoga abroad, use keywords to look for job listings on search engines in the exact area you plan to teach.
- For example, if you want to teach yoga in Bali, Indonesia, type “yoga instructor positions in Bali.” Check keywords often, as listings can quickly change.
Offer your services as a bilingual instructor
- If you work in a country where you can also speak the native language, one way to make yourself known in the local community is to offer courses in both languages you speak.
- This can help you attract a wider audience of clients and make connections with more individuals in your field.
Change location but keep your students
- Another way to support yourself financially as you look for yoga instructing jobs abroad is to teach online classes. This allows you to continue your normal schedule and keep working with existing clients as you move to a new location.
- Make sure to research visa options before you leave since online work may not qualify you for the visa you require to live in a new country.
- You may look for locations offering digital nomad visas, which support individuals who conduct their work abroad online.
Learn about local visa requirements
- Before you finalize a location to teach abroad, check the country’s guidelines for work visas and immigration.
- It’s important to ensure you’re adhering to immigration and visa guidelines, even if you don’t plan to move permanently.
- You may need to wait for certain documents to process before you can relocate. It’s also a good idea to make sure your passport information is up to date and ready for international travel.
Consider how to handle payment methods
- If you plan on operating a business as a yoga instructor, it’s important to identify ways you can accept payment, including converting currency, exchange rates and methods for payment exchange.
- An online payment system may be the easiest way to track and utilize funds. You may also want to look into the tax implications of working abroad as a yoga instructor.
- As a U.S. citizen, the government may still require you to pay some or all of your taxes while abroad.
Yoga Instructor Jobs : Certification
One of the most important requirements to find Yoga teacher jobs is certification. In India, the government accredited yoga centres run short term diploma programs. After getting your diploma at an accredited centre you can teach in India. However, what if you are applying Internationally? Other countries have yoga certification validation alliances and the most popular one is Yoga Alliance in the United States.
- If you’re thinking about teaching yoga, you’ll want to start with a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) program certified by the Yoga Alliance.
- This is pretty much the industry standard and will give you a solid foundation in yoga philosophy, poses, and teaching techniques.
- Some folks decide to deepen their understanding by going for a 300-hour or even a 500-hour certification, but that’s totally up to you.
- After you’ve got your certification, you’ll need to register with the Yoga Alliance as a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT).
300 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in India
300 Hour yoga teacher training is an advanced teaching course of traditional Ashtanga / Hatha and Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Our curriculum is perfect for the beginners as well as the yoga practitioners. This training will help you develop skills to learn and teach Yoga, gaining solid knowledge about classical yoga technique and the spiritual connection to body and soul. 300-hour yoga teacher training course comprises a set of exercises and meditation that must be done to stay fit and healthy.
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in India
Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga teacher training in Dharamsala – This yoga course is done with 200 hours contact and Non-contact hours as per standard and guidelines set by Yoga Alliance USA. where there will be comprehensive lessons about eight limbs of Yoga, 64 yogic asanas, pranayama which is the control of breathing practice, flow yoga position technique, bandha, Shatkarma kriya, mudra, Yog Nidra, mantra chanting & Meditation. These huge parts of yoga will be practiced both in the theoretical and practical method.
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Nepal
- 21 Days – Ashtanga, Vinyasa And Hatha Yoga Course In Pokhara Nepal.
- The instruction includes Ashtanga yoga Primary series, Vinyasa flow, Hatha Yoga, asanas (yoga poses), yoga philosophy, pranayama (breath control), and other aspects of yoga practice, as well as training in teaching techniques and methodology.
- Completing a 200-hour yoga teacher training program in Nepal can be a rewarding and transformational experience, and can provide a strong foundation for a career in yoga teaching.
200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Bali
A 200-hour yoga teacher training program in Bali is a comprehensive training program that covers the foundational elements of yoga. These programs are typically designed for individuals, Vacation and Solo travelers, who are interested in becoming yoga teachers or for those who wish to deepen their own personal practice for self growth. The curriculum of a 200-hour yoga teacher training Bali program typically includes:
- Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series, Hatha and Vinyasa flow Asanas (yoga postures). participants will learn the proper alignment and modifications of a variety of yoga postures, as well as how to safely and effectively teach them to others.
- Pranayama (breathing techniques). participants will learn the different types of pranayama and how to use them in their practice and teaching.
- Yoga philosophy. participants will learn about the history and origins of yoga, as well as the key philosophical texts and principles of yoga.
- Yoga Anatomy and physiology. participants will learn about the anatomy of the human body and how it relates to yoga, as well as the principles of injury prevention and management.
- Teaching methodology. participants will learn an art of teaching, how to effectively teach yoga classes, including how to create class plans, use language effectively, and adjust and assist students.
- Meditation and relaxation techniques. participants will learn about different forms of meditation and relaxation techniques that can be used to support the practice of yoga and overall well-being.
Why Become a Certified Yoga Teacher?
The popularity of yoga has significantly grown in the past decade. In fact, to promote and inculcate the practice of yoga, the United Nations celebrates International Yoga Day every year on the 21st of June. Having said that, the top 5 reasons as to why you must become a certified yoga teacher are as follows :
- You get to explore the philosophy and history of yoga which enhances your knowledge on subjects such as meditation, asanas, pranayama, chakras and energies.
- You also get a thorough understanding of human anatomy and physiology which provides deeper knowledge of how your body and mind works.
- You learn a great deal about your core body strengths and weaknesses. You will become more physically, mentally and emotionally strong.
- You will feel more energised and invigorated in the company of your peers, friends and family.
- You create meaningful and long-lasting relationships in your life with the help of yoga.
Popular Yoga Certification Courses
Now that you’ve been acquainted with the steps to become a certified yoga teacher, we can now move on to some of the popular yoga certification courses that are offered around the world:
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Certification
- Children’s Yoga Teacher Certification
- Multi-style Yoga Teacher Training Course
- Certificate In Advanced Yoga Practice
- Certificate Course in Therapy Yoga
- Certificate Course in Yoga Science
- Certificate Course in Yoga and Naturopathy
- Certificate Course in Vipassana
- Basic Certificate Course in Yoga Education ( BCCYE)
- Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Course (AYTTC)
Yoga Instructor Jobs Abroad: FAQs
Q. Can you make a career as a Yoga Instructor Job Abroad?
Ans: Many wellness centers around the world offer jobs for yoga teachers. A lot of yoga teachers combine travel with temporary teaching positions at yoga retreats, allowing them to teach at the most beautiful places and to gain insights into the running of such a center.
Q. How do I become a yoga teacher abroad?
Ans: To teach abroad, you need more than a love of yoga. You need to be a qualified yoga teacher. You should have a minimum of a 200-hour certification. Ideally, this should be a Yoga Alliance certified school, but if that’s not possible, another reputable school and relevant experience will suffice for most places.
Q. Can I teach yoga in USA?
Ans: Yoga Alliance USA has a criterion for registered yoga teachers as well as a set of requirements for quality of the yoga teacher training. A yoga school must be registered directly with the alliance’s directory. If they meet the requirements, you can easily look them up at the Yoga Alliance USA website.
Q. Which yoga certification is valid internationally?
Ans: After successful completion of our 200-hour Yoga teacher training in India or 200-hour Yoga teacher training in Europe you will receive a 200-hour Yoga teacher training certification which is recognized by Yoga Alliance, International Yoga Federation, International Yoga Association, CRKBO.
Q. Which yoga certificate is valid in Canada?
Ans: Canadian Yoga Alliance registers yoga training programs that provide excellence in yoga training. CYA Registered Schools have met the standard for world-class yoga training and proudly graduating first class Canadian yoga teachers year after year.