Table of Contents
All of us have different intentions when it comes to learning English. Some may do it for the love for language, some may do it to make traveling around the world easier, some do this when they get pursue their academic aspirations in foreign nations and others learn English so they get a lot more employment opportunities. Whatever may be the reason, learning a new language can often look like a daunting task. But there is no need to worry. This article will give you step by step guide for perfecting your Spoken English learning.
Spoken English for Beginners – Complete Guide
The points below will explain the procedures in learning to speak English well. But you should have a clear idea about why you are learning the language and what is spoken English. The reason for English coaching can majorly alter the areas of focus of learning. Although these steps given below can be applied for all the cases in general.
- You should have a good plan when going into learning a language. You should decide how you are going to learn the language (books, online study materials, short courses etc) as well as how much time you are going to devote to learning. The method of learning and time allotted can vary from person to person. This is because some of the learners may be full-time students or workers with barely any time for themselves. So, having a well-planned schedule make their learning move forward more smoothly.
- If the volume of the portion makes you scared and demotivated you can apply an alternative method. This is to set a short term goal i.e. you need to plan things for a single day or one hour. Once you have a good plan you are all set to start learning.
- Don’t lose your confidence if you are unable to master English speaking in a short period. You should not get discouraged if you are still unable to watch movies without subtitles. This is because native-level speech is extremely difficult to comprehend and requires a significant amount of linguistic input over time. Surely, as your exposure to language increases, the level of comprehension will also increase.
- When you learn a new word, phrase or idiom, you should then find examples of contexts in which they can be used.
- Use audio clips made by a native speaker to enhance your listening skills. Video tutorials help you to understand the context along with the content.
- Using the resources which could be enjoyable and entertaining (for example a movie) will help you to understand the words, their pronunciation and even the context of usage.
- Don’t take up all the options available when you start learning. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Similarly, selecting too many resources will lead to confusion. You will not know how to start and planning will also become complex. Make sure of the quality of content in your study material. This is better than having to unlearn the incorrect or partial knowledge imparted by a source of low-quality content.
- The learning source has to be comprehensible and matching to your style of learning. It should be simple enough to be recommended for the level of difficulty that you choose.
- Another important thing is to avoid overly focusing on your grammar while practising your speaking. Grammar is important but it is tedious to learn it. Focusing too much on grammar while learning spoken English will slow your learning process. So, in the beginning, you should only give a small portion of your time to study it. You can increase this gradually with time as your expertise in language grows.
- Increase your vocabulary slowly. Dynamic repetition of vocabulary you learned is the key to success. Using a term, you’ve learnt in new ways is known as dynamic repetition. This might be accomplished by writing or saying the word in three or four separate ways.
How Can I Start Speaking in English from Basics?
Given below are a few tips to improve your English comprehension and speaking skills.
- Tune in to English radio.
- Watch English television.
- Go to the English movies.
- Making up conversations and practicing them with a companion
- Use beginner-level texts.
- Begin by reading children’s books.
- Consider using ESL readers.
- Take the time to read advertising, signage, and labels.
- Keep a journal to write down new terms you learn
- Words should be written in alphabetical order in the vocabulary notebook
- Make some example sentences with each new word you learn
- Keep a diary in English
- Collect spoken English materials
- Engage with native speakers and try to imitate their style as possible if you want to sound the same. But this is not important as the major aim of language learning is better communication and you don’t have to sound exactly like a native speaker to do this.
- Use the dictionary whenever required.
English for Everyday Conversation
A few everyday conversation circumstances are given below for practice.
- General greeting
- Small talk
- at shopping trip
- a dentist appointment
- giving directions
- asking directions to a pedestrian
- taking a taxi
- at the library
- a doctor’s appointment
- renting an apartment
- taking a public transport
- at the hairdresser’
- at the train station
- at the supermarket
- at the gym
Tips for Improving Your Spoken English
- Be bold and speak to as many individuals as possible as often as possible. Feel no guilt for making errors. The more you practice, the better and more confident your pronunciation and vocabulary will become.
- A smartphone may be an effective tool for language acquisition. Use it to record yourself speaking and then listen to how your English sounds to others. Use your favorite productivity applications to organize your practice time and keep track of all the new terms you learn.
- Choose a word to concentrate on and try using it in different sentences. Use the term until you have mastered it, and then continue to use it regularly.
- Take an English cooking class or join a reading club. Whatever you enjoy doing, make it a point to do it and share it in English. Practicing English will be more enjoyable if you use it to talk about subjects you appreciate.
- Debate any of the subjects that interest you in English with your peers. Try to use as much vocabulary as possible to make your point, and pay close attention to the other points so you can properly answer them.
Basic Words for Spoken English
Below given is a list of words that a beginner has to learn when they start their spoken English course and try to use these words for making spoken English sentences everyday.
Best Books for Spoken English Beginners
The table given below lists some of the best books to learn English speaking skills
|Book name||Author/ series|
|Practice Makes Perfect Basic English, Second Edition||Julia Lachance|
|Learn English With Short Stories||English Language and Culture Academy|
|ESL Beginner Premium Edition with e-flashcards||Sherry Boguchwal|
|Basic Grammar in Use Student’s Book with Answers||William R. Smalzer, Joseph Chapple and Raymond Murphy|
|Short Stories in English for Beginners||Olly Richards|
|Tagalog Picture Dictionary||Jan Tristan Gaspi, Sining Maria Rosa Marfori|
|Short Stories in English for Intermediate Learners||Olly Richards|
|English Grammar Rules 101||Melony Jacobs|
|English Made Easy Volume One||Jonathan Crichton, Pieter Koster|
|English Language Learning with Super Support
Beginners – Book 1
|102 Simple English Conversation Dialogues for Beginners in American English||Jackie Bolen|
|ESL Beginner||Sherry Boguchwal, Johanna Pugni, Dianne Ramdeholl, Linda Robbian|
|The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking||Dale Carnegie|
|50 Very Short Conversations||Mark Kulek|
|Practice Makes Perfect: English Conversation||Jean Yates|
|Talk English: The Secret to Speak English Like A Native In 6 Months For Busy People||Ken Xiao|
|Spoken English in Dialogues: 833 common English sentences used by native speakers in everyday life situations||
The article above has discussed many factors that are important for fresher who have just gotten into improving their spoken English skills. Download the Entri app to help you with your aim of acquiring good speaking skills in the English language.