Table of Contents
The 29th and youngest state in the Union of India, Telangana was formed on June 2nd 2014. Telangana is situated on Deccan plateau in the peninsular part of India. In 1956, the state of Hyderabad was dissolved and Telangana was merged with Andhra to form the state of Andhra Pradesh. Telangana was part of the princely state of Hyderabad, it became part of the Union of India in 1948. Telangana was merged with Andhra Pradesh in 1956.
Culture of Telangana is a blend of traditions of Mughals and Nizams of Hyderabad. Economy is mainly driven by agriculture. Rice is the major and staple food crop of the state.
History of Telangana
Telangana is one of the 29 states in India, located in southern India. Telangana is bordered by the states of Maharashtra to the north and north-west, Chhattisgarh to the north, Karnataka to the west and Andhra Pradesh to the east and south. Following a movement for separation, it was awarded separate statehood on 2 June 2014. Hyderabad will continue to serve as the joint capital city for Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for a period of not more than ten years.
Its old name is Teliga which changed to Telangana. The state has an area of 1,12,077 Sq. Km. and has a population of 3,50,03,674. Telangana has three seasons: summer, from March to June; a period of tropical rains from July to September; and winter, from October to February. Summers are warm to hot and dry, with temperatures often nearing or exceeding 100 °F (38 °C).Telangana is largely rural, with roughly two-fifths of the state’s population classified as urban. Hyderabad accounts for more than half of those in urban areas. The state’s other main cities include Warangal, Nizamabad, Mahbubnagar, and Adilabad. The state judiciary is headed by a High Court, located in Hyderabad, which has jurisdiction for both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh; the High Court has original jurisdiction in some cases and exercises appellate and administrative control over the district and lower-level courts.
Government of Telangana
|Chief Minister||Chandrashekar Rao (TRS)|
|Governor||E. S. L. Narasimhan|
National parks and wildlife sanctuaries
- Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary Tiger Reserve
- Mrugavani National Park
- KBR National Park
- Mahavir Harina Vanasthali National Park
Geography of Telangana
|Area||112,077 km sq|
|Population Density||307/km sq.|
|Mountain||Patal Toka, Bedam Gutta, Yerra Dari, Pedda Kurva etc.|
|Highest Peak||Doli Gutta|
Interesting Facts about Telangana
- Telangana is the 29th newest addition state to India and the state has separate statehood on June 2nd, 2014.
- Telangana will have 17 Lok Sabha seats and 119 assembly seats.
- Its capital city is Hyderabad, It is one of the only cities in India that share a common capital of its neighbouring state Andhra Pradesh.
- One of the most interesting facts is that the name of Telangana is derived from Trilinga Desa.
- The state holds 31 districts, Out of these 21 districts belong to Hyderabad and the rest 21 districts belong to its domain.
- The river Godavari is referred to as the holy river by the residents of the state. Godavari passes through the state.
- The state of Telangana is surrounded by five industrious neighbors. They include the states of Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
- The state’s highest waterfall is kuntala waterfall in the Adilabad district.
- Both Hindu and Islam were the official religion of the state Telangana. It is one of the states where both Hindus and Muslims co-exist peacefully, Birla Mandir is the famous temple while Makkah Masjid is the famous Mosque.
- Hussain Sagar Lake in Hyderabad, the capital city of Telangana is a unique shaped lake. This is considered as one of the most interesting features of Telangana.
GK Quiz on Telangana
Q.1.Total Number of districts in Telangana?
Answer: [B] 31
Q.2.Telangana state was formed on_______ June 2014.
Answer: [A] 2nd
Q.3.Which one is the largest district by area wise in Telangana?
Answer: [D] Badradri
Q.4.Who was appointed as the first Governor of Telangana?
[A] Kiran Bedi
[B] Pon Radhakrishnan
[C] Tamilisai Soundararajan
[D] E.S.L Narasimhan
Answer: [D] E.S.L Narasimhan
Q.5.Which is the state bird of Telangana?
[A] Indian Roller
[B] House Sparrow
Answer. [A] Indian Roller
Q.6Which day is celebrated as Telangana Language day?
[A] 02, September
[B] 09, September
[C] 01, September
[D] 013, September
Answer: [B] 09, September
Q.7.Which is the official language of Telangana?
[C] Urdu and Telugu
Answer: [C] Urdu and Telugu
Q.8.Capital of Telangana is ________.
Answer: [C] Hyderabad
Q 9.Telangana has been formed by dividing which of these states?
[A] Uttar Pradesh
[C] Andhra Pradesh
[D] Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: [C] Andhra Pradesh
Q.10.Which one is the state festival of Telangana?
Answer: [D] Bathukamma
Q 11.Kuntala waterfall is located in which district of Telangana?
[D] Mehbub Nagar
Answer: [B] Adilabad
Q.12.Who is the founder of Telangana state?
[A] K. Srinivas Reddy
[B] K. Chandrashekar Rao
[C] S. Srivatsan
[D] K. Keshava Rao
Answer: [B] K. Chandrashekar Rao
Q.13.Which river is known as Dakshin Ganga?
[D] None of these
Answer: [C] Godavari