Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from August 10 to 16, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 August 10 to 16
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week August 10 to 16, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Bangladesh constructs war memorial for Indian Soldiers killed in 1971
- The Bangladesh Government is to construct a war memorial for Indian soldiers killed in the 1971 war.
- The memorial is to be constructed in Ashuganj, Brahmanbaria bordering Tripura.
- This is mainly due to its significance in the Liberation War of 1971.
- The Bangladesh Liberation war was an armed conflict that resulted in the independence of Bangladesh from Pakistan.
Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as Sri Lanka’s Prime Minister for 4th Time
- Sri Lanka’s former President Mahinda Rajapaksa took oath as the country’s Prime Minister on 9 August 2020, after his party secured a landslide victory in the parliamentary elections on 5 August, 2020.
- This this the fourth time that the 74-year-old Sri Lanka People’s Party (SLPP) leader has been appointed as the PM of Sri Lanka.
- Prior to this, Mahinda Rajapaksa was first elected prime minister in 2004 and again appointed for brief periods in 2018 and 2019.
India’s KN Ananthapadmanabhan promoted to ICC’s panel of umpires
- Indian Umpire, KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been included in ICC’s international panel of umpires following compatriot Nitin Menon’s promotion to the elite panel.
- Ananthapadmanabhan played 105 First-Class and 54 List A games for Kerala, taking 344 and 87 wickets respectively.
- Ananthapadmanabhan has officiated in all major domestic events including the IPL.
KVIC set to open first Silk Training Center
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission ( KVIC ) is set to open the first of its kind Training cum Production Center of Silk in the tribal village of Chullyu in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Conceived just six months ago , the center will be launched in the first week of September 2020.
- The KVIC has refurbished and converted a dilapidated school building into the training cum production center .
The 20th New York Indian Film Festival: 2020
- 20th New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF) which switched to a virtual edition this year amid the ongoing COVID19 pandemic.
- The films programmed were in various languages including Assamese, Bengali, Haryanvi, Hindi, English, Ladakhi, Maithili, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali and Tamil.
- Best film : Moothon ( Directed by Geethu Mohandas)
- Best Director :Achal Mishra ( Director of the film Ghamak Ghar)
- Best Actress : Garggy Ananthan ( Film – Run Kalyani)
- Best Actor : Nivin pauly ( Film – Moothon )
- Best Documentary : Son rise ( Vibha Bhakshi )
Mumbai becomes first city in India to have female icons on traffic signals
- Mumbai’s Dadar has become the first city in India to have women symbols on traffic signals and signage.
- This was installed by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) that displays female icons sporting triangular frock.
- It is a shift from the default representation of men.
Russia becomes 1st country to register COVID-19 Vaccine
- Russian President, Vladimir Putin has announced that a COVID-19 vaccine named “Sputnik V” developed in the country has been registered for use.
- Russian Ministry of Health has given regulatory approval for what it claims is the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute. Russia is the first country to register a coronavirus vaccine.
- The vaccine has proven efficient during tests, offering enduring immunity from the coronavirus.
Max Verstappen wins 70th Anniversary Grand Prix
- The Red Bull racer, Max Verstappen has won the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix.
- Mercedes racer Lewis Hamilton finished the race at second position while another Mercedes racer Valtteri Bottas finished third.
- This was Red Bull’s first victory at Silverstone since 2012.
India test fires first Private Upper Stage Rocket Engine
- Skyroot Aerospace, a Spacetech startup has successfully test fired an upper stage rocket engine “Raman”.
- With this, Skyroot Aerospace has become the first Indian private firm to exhibit the potential to build a homegrown rocket engine.
- “Raman” is a 3-D printed rocket engine which has been named after Nobel laureate CV Raman.
Kamala Harris, an Indian origin nominated as US Vice President candidate
- The Presidential Candidate Joe Biden has chosen Kamala Harris to run for Vice President.
- As a running mate, she will be the first black woman and the first person of Indian origin to be nominated for the national office of a majority party in the US.
- The US Presidential election is scheduled in November 2020.
Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel “Sarthak“ launched
- In order to enhance maritime security,an Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) for the Indian Coast Guard was launched and re-christened as Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) “Sarthak” during a ceremony held at Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) which was conducted through video conferencing from Coast Guard headquarters at New Delhi.
- It was launched by Ms. Veena Ajay Kumar, wife of Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar.
- Sarthak, the 4th in the series of five OPVs deployed by the ICG has been designed and built indigenously by GSL on the lines of “Make in India” which has about 70% indigenous content.
India Signs MoU with Nigeria on Space Cooperation
- The Government of India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on space cooperation with the Federal government of Republic of Nigeria at the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Over a virtual platform, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Minister of Science and Technology, Federal Republic of Nigeria and Abhay Thakur, Indian High Commissioner to Nigeria signed the MoU on behalf of Nigeria and India respectively.
- The MoU enhances the Socio economic development, space exploration, environmental safety and trade between India and Nigeria.
Optic Fibre Link connecting Lakshadweep Islands with the mainland
- PM Modi announced the Optic Fibre Linking of Lakshadweep Islands with the mainland during his address at the 74th celebrations of Independence Day.
- The undersea Optical Fibre Cable link to be established between Lakshadweep and the mainland is second in the country.
- the first of its kind was established between Chennai and Port Blair.
- The Lakshadweep Undersea project is to be completed in 1,000 days.
Modi launches Project Lion, Project Dolphin
- PM Modi launched Project Lion and Project Dolphin during his speech at the 74th Independence Day celebrations.
- Project Lion is to involve conservation of Asiatic Lions.
- It will focus on habitat development by engaging modern technologies.
India ranks first in Organic Farming
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare recently announced that India ranks first in Organic Farming.
- Also, India ranks ninth in terms of areas under Organic Farming.
- Sikkim was the first state in the world to become completely organic.
- The other states that have similar targets include Uttarakhand and Tripura.
Cricketer M.S. Dhoni,Suresh Raina announces retirement from all forms of international cricket
- Indian Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni has announced retirement from all forms of international cricket.
- After M.S. Dhoni, Indian cricketer Suresh Raina has also announced retirement from Cricket.
- Dhoni is the only Captain to win all three major International Cricket Council (ICC) trophies — the World Cup, the World Twenty20 and the Champions Trophy. Since he has announced retirement from International cricket, he will continue to play for Indian Premier League (IPL).
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.