World AIDS Day is observed to celebrate and support global efforts to prevent new HIV infections, increase HIV awareness and knowledge, and support those living with HIV. In the present scenario, where people are devastated by COVID 19, the Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) disease still remains one of the deadliest infectious diseases. Every year December 1st is observed to educate people on this disease, which is caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV). So, go through the article for more details regarding World AIDS Day 2021 viz. Theme, Activities, Slogan, Quiz
World AIDS Day 2021
Even though the fight against AIDS is going on, the people living with HIV still face unacceptable levels of discrimination and stigma. So, the idea of this Red Ribbon campaign is still relevant. The red ribbon is the universal symbol of awareness and support for people living with HIV.
- World AIDS Day 2021: December 01
- Theme 2021- “End inequalities. End AIDS”
World AIDS Day History
World AIDS Day, designated on 1 December every year since 1988, is one of the eleven official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO). Moreover, AIDS Awareness Week is observed in the last week of November, an extra effort made to raise AIDS awareness.
In 1987, two public relations officers on the Global Programme on AIDS from the World Health Organizations put forwards the idea of AIDS day celebration. Mr. James Bunn and Thomas Netter took their idea to Dr. Jonathan Mann, Director of the Global Program on AIDS. He liked the concept and thus UN and WHO decided to celebrate December 01 as World AIDS Day from 1988 onwards.
World Aids Day Theme
In its first two years, the theme of AIDS Day focused on children and young people. As of 2008, each year’s theme is chosen by the Global Steering Committee of the World AIDS Campaign (WAC).
- 2005 through 2010, the theme was ‘Stop AIDS. Keep the Promise’.
- 2012, the multi-year theme for World AIDS Day is ‘Getting to Zero: Zero new HIV infections. Zero deaths from AIDS-related illness. Zero discrimination’.
- 2014 – ‘Focus, Partner, Achieve An AIDS-Free Generation’.
- 2017- ‘My Health, My Right’.
- 2018- ‘Know your status’.
- 2019- ‘Communities make the difference’.
- 2020- ‘Global solidarity, shared responsibility’.
- 2021- ‘End inequalities. End AIDS’.
The U.S. Government’s theme for World AIDS Day 2021—Ending the HIV Epidemic: Equitable Access, Everyone’s Voice.
World Aids Day Quiz 2021
1. Name the therapy used to treat HIV infection?
C) Photodynamic Therapy
D) None of the above
2. HIV attacks ______ cells of our immune system.
B) WBC-T cells
D) Epithelial cells
3. A person has AIDS when which of these occurs?
A) Exposure to HIV
B) HIV antibodies are found in the blood
C) The CD4+ count is lower than 200 or opportunistic infections develop in an HIV-infected person
D) A person has HIV for 5 years
4. When was HIV first recognized in the US?
5. Which of these symptoms can be diagnosed with HIV infection?
C) Swollen lymph nodes
D) All the above
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.