International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on the observation of World Down Syndrome Day 2020 and its theme and activities.
World Down Syndrome Day 2020 – March 21
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- Objective of Observing World Drown Syndrome Day
- Themes of World Down syndrome day
- 10 of the Most Successful People with Down Syndrome
- Facts about down Syndrome
- Down Syndrome Federation n India
- How To Contribute Towards The Celebration Of World Down Syndrome Day
Objective of Observing World Down Syndrome Day
World Down Syndrome Day began in 2006 and on December 19, 2011, the United Nations General Assembly declared March 21 as World Down Syndrome Day.
Objective of this day is to create a single global voice to advocate for the rights, inclusion and well being of the people with Down syndrome. On this day, people who live and work with them throughout the world organize and participate in activities and events to raise public awareness for the inclusion of people with Down syndrome. Slowly by doing so society will start accepting them and giving them opportunities and guidance to feel included. That can be the best we can do for them
Why March 21 is marked as World Drown Syndrome Day
21st of the third month (March) was selected to signify the uniqueness of triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome
Themes of World Down syndrome day
Every year a new theme is set so that the activities can revolve around the theme thus enabling a concrete way to achieve the objective. Below mentioned are the themes included since 2012
2012 – “Building Our Future”
2013 – “Right To Work”
2014 – “Health and Well-being – Access and Equality for All”
2015 – “My Opportunities, My Choices” – Enjoying Full and Equal Rights and the Role of Families
2016 – “My Friends, My Community” – The benefits of inclusive environments for today’s children and tomorrow’s adults
2017 – “My Voice My Community” – Enabling people with Down syndrome to speak up, be heard and influence government policy and action, to be fully included in the community
2018 – “What I Bring To My Community”
2019 – “Leave No One Behind”
2020 – “We Decide”
About 2020 theme “We Decide”
World Down Syndrome 2020 focuses on the theme “We Decide” to emphasize the rights of the people with Down syndrome to participate in decision making about matters relating to or affecting their lives
The activities should focus on the following:
- Achievement of effective and meaningful participation of the people with Down syndrome through accessible information and communication, good support and inclusive consultation.
- Empower the people with Down syndrome, those supporting them and their representative organizations to advocate for effective and meaningful participation.
- Awareness to stakeholders including education, health and social care professionals, employers, community and young children to spread the message and bring about the change to implement inclusive environment
Ten of the Most Successful People with Down syndrome
Following are just 10 examples of people who have torn down barriers and broken glass ceilings for people with Down syndrome all over the world.
|SI. No||Name of the person||Successful achievement in life|
|2||Collette Divitto||Entrepreneur who started Collettey’s Cookies|
|3||Jamie Brewer||Actress who appeared in American Horror Story: Murder House and American Horror Story: Coven|
|4||Marte Wexelsen Goksoyr||Actress, playwright, writer and disability rights activist|
|5||Madeline Stuart||Model who walked at New York Fashion Week, the first professional model with Down syndrome|
|7||Pablo Pineda||An actor and educator most well-known for being the first European with Down Syndrome to obtain a university degree, having completed both a Diploma in Teaching and a BA in Educational Psychology.|
|9||Karen Gaffney||Disability rights campaigner and the first living person with Down syndrome to receive an honorary doctorate degree. she became the first person with Down syndrome to complete a relay swim of the English Channel.|
|10||Isabella Springmuhl Tejada||Designer|
Facts about Down Syndrome
- Down syndrome occurs when a person has three (rather than two) copies of the 21st This extra chromosome causes the characteristics associated with Down syndrome.
- Down syndrome is the most commonly occurring chromosomal condition. About one in every 800 babies is born with Down syndrome.
- There are more than 350,000 people living with Down syndrome in the U.S.
- Down syndrome affects people of all ages, races and economic levels.
- The incidence of births of children with Down syndrome increases with the age of the mother. But due to higher fertility rates in younger women, 80 percent of children with Down syndrome are born to women under 35 years of age.
Down Syndrome Federation in India
“Down Syndrome Federation of India” (DSFI) is an organization that offers support to individuals with Down ’s syndrome and their families through various Down’s Syndrome Institutions across India. DSFI is registered with the Office of the State Commissioner for the Differently Abled, Government of Tamil Nadu under Section 52 of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.Established in the year 1984, with 6 children, DSFI today serves innumerable children not only around India, but also the Middle East.
How to Contribute Towards the Celebration of World Down Syndrome Day
Below mentioned are few activities that can be considered to contribute towards the observation of world Down syndrome day
1. An act of kindness
- Hand out gift cards with notes of World Down Syndrome Day
- Visit a special needs center and interact with the special children
- Invite children with Down syndrome and arrange games and gifts for them
2. Wear mismatched socks
#lotsfSocks initiative was launched by the Down Syndrome International to promote the idea “we are not so different” .Mismatched or not, it doesn’t matter what the socks look like but they are both socks. There are some differences but ultimately they are same just like people with or without Down syndrome.
Each year Down Syndrome International creates a new official #LotsOfSocks design and the socks are sold around the world to raise awareness. In 2019 over 32,000 pairs were sold!! The official #LotsOfSocks design for 2020 was inspired by artist Jijo Das.
3. Donate a book on Down Syndrome to a library
A book on supportive positive behavior in children with Down syndrome or a book on educating learners with down syndrome can be shared to a library so that the message will always be shared.
4. Give a presentation on general awareness at your workplace or school.
Arrange a talk or a presentation at your school/college or workplace and educate the crowd about Down syndrome. How early interventions can make their life better and how we can help and support them to feel included in day to day life can be depicted in different ways.
5. Participate in global video events
Several organizations conduct healthy competitions by awarding the best videos on down syndrome. Create a video on Down syndrome and upload it to DOWN TV or other social media sites and create awareness to the society on the whole.
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts