Table of Contents
The German Unity Day is celebrated every year on 03rd October. This is Germany’s National Day and marks the reunification of Germany that took place on this day in 1990. when the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) were unified so that for the first time since 1945 there existed a single German state. The fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989, paved the way towards this national big day. People celebrate German Unity Day like a festival with great pomp and show.
German Unity Day 2022 – Date and history
Historically, Germany has associated various dates with its nationhood and unity. However, to look back at the history of German Unity Day, it all began when the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic unified in 1990 to mark the first-ever single German state. Interestingly, the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989, which marked the end of the Cold War, paved the way for German reunification. The Unification Treaty was signed on September 20, 1990, and declared October 3 as the national holiday which ultimately sealed the end of the division of Germany. The reunification was formally completed on October 3, 1990, and since then, German Unity Day is observed every year on this day in the country.
How is German Unity Day Celebrated?
The German Unity Day is also known as Tag der Deutschen Einheit in German is celebrated on 3rd October that has been observing as the German National Holiday since 1990 after the formal completion of the reunification. On this very special and big day, German people celebrate in festivals that arrange a variety of stage programs, host several live bands and sell various food, drinks, and sweets around the Brandenburg Gate.
German Unity Day 2022 – Significance and celebrations
German Unity Day is a national holiday commemorating the German reunification in 1990. German Unity Day is celebrated as a national event to remember how the Federal Republic of Germany and the Democratic Republic of Germany united to create one single, federal Germany on October 3, 1990.
German Unity Day 2022 Facts
After being defeated in World War II, Germany was divided into four segments by the Allies, four powerful countries named the United States, Russia, France, and the United Kingdom. On May 23rd, 1949 the U.S, France, and the U.K segments became the Federal Republic of Germany and the Soviet Union segment became the German Democratic Republic on October 7th, 1949. Thus, Germany turned into two separate countries.
After the Monday Demonstrations, protests that were held by Citizens of the German Democratic Republic for the opening of the borders and proper political reform, East and West Germany become united in 1990. Below are some facts about German unity day.
- On May 23rd, 1949 the U.S, France, and the U.K segments became West Germany, and the Soviet Union segment became East Germany on October 7th, 1949.
- Monday Demonstration protests were held in 1989 by Citizens of the German Democratic Republic for the opening of the borders and proper political reform.
- On November 9th, 1989, checkpoints between East and West Germany were opened and people were allowed to move freely between them.
- The official demolition of the Berlin wall started on June 13th, 1990.
- Thus the fall of the Berlin Wall happened in 1989.
- On 3rd October 1990, the unification became official.
German Unity Day Food 2022
German people love to celebrate historical and cultural events through different food and recipes. This special day brings the opportunity to German citizens to try some traditional and special German foods. Below are some special food items for German unity day 2022.
German unity day 2022 foods are Bratwurst, Rustic Wheat Rolls, Grilled Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Sandwich, Laugenbrezel, Butterkuchen, Black Forest Cake, Pfeffernüsse (Pepper Nuts), German Bierbrezeln, Kasekuchen, Fleischsalat, German Hot Lemon Drink, German Vanillekipferl, German Chocolate Cupcakes, etc.
German Reunification Quotes
Below are some quotes for you on the occasion of German unity day 2022.
- “Mister Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” – US President Ronald Reagan
- “Nobody has the intention of building a wall.” – GDR head of state Walter Ulbricht
- “Above all, don’t shoot at your fellow countrymen!” – West Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt
- “I take pride in the words Ich bin ein Berliner.” – US President John F. Kennedy
- “Now what belongs together will grow together.” – Willy Brandt
German Unity Day is a national huge day that symbolizes the reunification. The day helps the citizens of Germany to realize the power of unity. People wait the whole year for this day to celebrate the occasion every year in a grand way.