Beer is one of the oldest drinks humans have produced. The first chemically confirmed barley beer dates back to the 5th millennium BC in modern-day Iran, and was recorded in the written history of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and spread throughout the world. International Beer Day is a global celebration of beer, taking place in pubs, breweries, and backyards all over the world. It’s a day for beer lovers everywhere to raise a toast to our brewers and bartenders .
International Beer Day (IBD) is founded in 2007 in Santa Cruz, California by Jesse Avshalomov. Every year first Friday of August is celebrated as International Beer Day. This unofficial holiday celebrates the art and science of brewing beer and motivate people to try out new flavor.
Beer somehow manages to do what politicians have tried to do for centuries – unite people in a common cause for good. Our insatiable thirst for beer gives us reason to pause; to stop what we’re doing, sit down and converse with one another over a pint or two. The conversation may be pleasant or not, calm or animated, but somehow beer makes it possible to agree to disagree and still walk away friends. Plenty of us have no doubt solved many of the world’s problems over a few pints of beer.
International Beer Day – Theme
The global celebration takes place in pubs, breweries, and backyards across the world. The day is to raise a toast with our loved ones and enjoy the greatness of beer. This day is dedicated to beer lovers and those who love liquor every now and then.
International Beer Day – History
The Beer Day was begun with the purpose of celebrating the craft of brewing. And it was also created with the intention of showing appreciation for those involved in the making of beer. The day then fastly expanded to include celebrations of bartenders and other beer technicians as well. Beer was also one of the many things that the Britishers introduced in India. In 1716, two styles of ale beer were imported to India from England.
Beer has been consumed by almost every culture throughout human history. The oldest evidence of man’s obsession with brewing beer dates back to ancient Babylonia and Mesopotamia. Archaeologists have unearthed recipes for beer that were written on clay tablets in 4300 B.C., and ceramic vessels from 3400 B.C. that are still sticky with beer residue. Everyone drank beer in ancient Egypt: pharaohs, peasants, priests, even children, as part of their everyday diet. By the Middle Ages, Christian monks were brewing beers, and introduced the use of hops. Until then, beers were brewed with local additives like dates and olive oils to add flavor. Today’s beers continue to be brewed with hops, herbs, or fruits that add flavor. Macro, micro, or craft, the art of brewing beer today remains a craft that employs age-old techniques carefully perfected over centuries and millennium.
Jesse Avshalomov reasons for founding International Beer Day were:
- Gather with friends and enjoy the taste of beer
- Celebrate those responsible for brewing and serving beer
- Unite the world under the banner of beer, by celebrating the beers of all nations together on a single day
International Beer Day – Interesting Facts
- Scientists say beer prevents kidney stones. In fact, consuming a bottle a day is said to reduce the risk of inheriting this ailment by up to 40%.
- Beer is the oldest recorded recipe in the world. The first known barley beer can be traced back to around 5,000 B.C.
- Beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage drink worldwide. In fact, after water and tea, beer is the most commonly consumed drink in the world.
- The strongest beer in the world has a strength of 67.5% alcohol by volume. This beer was created in 2017 by the Scottish brewery Brewmeister. The beer is called Snake Venom.
- China, the US, Brazil, Mexico, and Germany are the top beer-producing countries in the world, even while global sales are down.
- Qatar has the most expensive beer in the world, with an average price of USD $11.26 (Rs. 830.76) per 330ml bottle.
- Andre the Giant holds the world record for the largest number of beers consumed in a single sitting.
- There is a word for those who suffer from the fear of an empty glass – this word is cenosillicaphobia.
- Brewing has a technical name – Zythology – which is derived from the Greek words ‘zythos’ (which translates to beer) and ‘logos’ (study)
- Beer is made from natural ingredients, including malted cereals (most often barley), hops, yeast and water.
- The famous beer brand ‘Guinness’ once predicted around 93,000 liters of beer gets mislaid in the beards of Englishmen every year.
The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, our Entri App has got it covered for you. Entri App provides a great online platform for all those aspiring to appear for various bank exams, government exams and other competitive exams. Our team of experts provide short and precise video classes which helps in learning the concepts. Users get access to flash cards and quizzes and can attempt unlimited mock exams with the same pattern as that of the real exams. We also provide PDFs of previous years’ question papers with solutions.