International days are observed to help the the society be aware of the issues of concern, and to be ready to address global problems. It also aims to celebrate few important days and to reinforce achievements of mankind. Each international day provides the people an opportunity to organize and to take part in activities or events pertaining to the theme along with the chance to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens has turned international day a day for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on the International Nurses Day 2023 – Theme, History, Quotes and Quiz.
International Nurses Day (IND) is observed annually on 12th May to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. The celebration of this day every year also focuses to mark the contribution of nurses towards society. This day, established by the International Council of Nurses (ICN), helps to highlight the important role nurses fulfill in health care.
Attempt GK Quiz! Download Entri App!
History of Nurses’ Day 2023
It began in 1953, when Dorothy Sutherland, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, contacted President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposing he proclaim a “Nurses’ Day”. However, he did not approve her proposal at that time.
International Nurses Day has been celebrated by the ICN since 1965 but it was in 1974 that it was decided to observe this day on May 12th to commemorate the birth of Florence Nightingale on the same day in 1820. She is considered as the foundational philosopher of modern nursing. She fought to lay the foundations and laws to protect the nursing profession and worked on developing it.
Florence Nightingale was a British reformer and is very well known as the founder of modern nursing. She came into distinction during the Crimean War. She was serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean war where in she organized care for wounded soldiers. Florence Nightingale’s most famous contribution came during the Crimean War, which became her central focus when reports got back to Britain about the horrific conditions for the wounded. On 21 October 1854, she and the staff of 38 women volunteer nurses that she trained and 15 catholic nuns found that the soldiers were wounded badly were not given proper care. They found that during that war the medicines were in short supply, hygiene was being neglected, and mass infections were common among the soldiers and many of them fatal. Nightingale was called the “The Lady with the Lamp” because she used to go out in the dark heading to the battlefields, while holding a lamp in her hand in order to search for the wounded and injured to help them.
International Nurses Day 2023 Theme
Each year carries a theme and the theme for International Nurses Day 2023 iis not disclosed yet. The International Nurses Day Theme for the year 2023 is Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and respect rights to secure global health.
Attempt GK Quiz! Download Entri App
International Nurses Day Quotes 2023
- Nurses’ Day, on 12 May 2023, is an opportunity to showcase the amazing work of our members and to say thank you to nursing staff across the UK. – RCN general secretary and chief executive, Pat Cullen
- Caring is the essence of nursing. – Jean Watson
- Nurses are the heart of healthcare. – Donna Wilk Cardillo
- The nurses were all angels in my eyes. – Randy Castillo
- Nurses, one of the few blessings of being ill. – Sara Moss-Wolfe
- Being a nurse is a blessing but offering unconditional services to patients is your karma…. And you my dear nurse is a role model for everyone as you have always been selfless in giving the best of the services and helping patients recover….. Wishing you Happy International Nurses Day. – Unknown
- Every day you make someone smile…. You help someone come out of the pain…. You make a difference to someone’s life….. Sending Nurses Day wishes to you for you are a source of inspiration and happiness for many patients and their families. – Unknown
Attempt GK Quiz! Download Entri App!
International Nurses Day Quiz 2023
Which year was the Nurses Registration Act established?
Discussion about this post