International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, address global problems, and celebrate and reinforce the achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities, and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness-raising actions. In this article let us check on the observation of World Population Day 2022 including the theme, history, quiz, and population statistics.
World Population Day 2022 – Sunday, July 11
In this article readers can get a glimpse the following factors of world population day
- History and Objective of world population day
- Theme of World Population Day
- World Population 2015-2022
- Top 10 highest populated cities across the world 2022
- Nine standards to uphold human right for family planning
- Quotes on World Population Day by Famous Personalities
- Activities that can be observed on world population day
- Population day quiz
History and Objective
On July 11, 1987 world population reached 5 billion and five billion day was celebrated. The day was suggested by Dr. K.C. Zachariah when population reached Five Billion when he worked as Sr Demographer at World Bank. The Governing Council of the United Nations Development Program recommended the world population day to be observed from 1989. Inspiration for this special day came from the public interest that was raised by “Five Billion Day” on 11th July, 1987.
World Population Day aims to increase people’s awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
Theme of World Population Day 2022
2017 theme: Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations
2018 theme: Family Planning is a Human Right
2019 theme: Global attention to the unfinished business of the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development.
2020 theme: How to safeguard the health and rights of women and girls now
2021 theme: Rights and Choices are the answer: Whether baby boom or bust, the solution to shifting fertility rates lies in prioritizing the reproductive health and rights of all people.
2022 theme: According to UNFPA, this year it focuses on how to safeguard the health and rights of women and girls now and putting the brakes on COVID-19.
World Population 2022
Below tabulated is the population of the world from the year 2015.
Top 10 highest populated cities across the world 2022
Listed below are the top ten most populated cities in the world:
1. China- (1,439,323,776)
2. India- (1,380,004,385)
3. United States- (331,002,651)
4. Indonesia- (273,523,615)
5. Pakistan- (220,892,340)
6. Brazil- (212,559,417)
7. Nigeria- (206,139,589)
8. Bangladesh- (164,689,383)
9. Russia- (145,934,462)
10. Mexico- (128,932,753)
Nine standards to uphold human right for family planning
- Non-discrimination: Family planning information and services cannot be restricted on the basis of race, sex, language, religion, political affiliation, national origin, age, disability status, marital status or gender.
- Available: Countries must ensure that family planning commodities and services are available to all.
- Accessible: Countries must ensure that family planning commodities and services are accessible to everyone.
- Acceptable: Contraceptive services and information must be provided in a dignified manner.
- Good quality: Family planning information must be clearly communicated and scientifically accurate.
- Informed decision-making: Every person must be empowered to make reproductive choices.
- Privacy and confidentiality: All individuals must enjoy the right to privacy when seeking family planning services.
- Participation: Countries have an obligation to ensure the active and informed participation of individuals.
- Accountability: Health systems, education systems, leaders and policymakers must be accountable to the people they serve in all efforts to realize the human right to family planning.
Quotes on World Population Day by Famous Personalities
- “Every State has the primary duty to protect its own population from grave and sustained violations of human rights, as well as from the consequences of humanitarian crises, whether natural or man-made” – Pope Benedict XVI
- “By Improving Health, Empowering Women, Population Growth Comes Down” – Bill Gates.
- “When The Family Is Small, Whatever Little They Have They Are Able To Share. There Is Peace” – Philip Njuguna
- “Almost half of the population of the world lives in rural regions and mostly in a state of poverty. Such inequalities in human development have been one of the primary reasons for unrest and, in some parts of the world, even violence” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- “As a woman leader, I thought I brought a different kind of leadership. I was interested in women’s issues, in bringing down the population growth rate… as a woman, I entered politics with an additional dimension that of a mother” – Benazir Bhutto
How to contribute Towards the Observation of World Population Day
Following are few activities that can be done to observe world population day.
- Firstly it is important to educate yourself with the rising population statistics across the world.
- Understand the problems associated with the increasing population.
- Check for the solutions for the increasing population.
- Educate others by conducting awareness campaign in your locality.
- Emphasize on family planning.
- The rights for family planning has to be understood and should be shared to others too.
- Educate the less privileged sector of people around you, because awareness is one important factor that will help to maintain the population growth.
- Educate the students at school regarding the demographics.
- Donate to organizations that focus on dealing with the population issues
- Public contest can be conducted addressing the major issues associated with population rise in your locality
- TV channels, news channels broadcast various programs related to importance of family planning. That can be watched and you can also help others to get access to these free programs.
- Donate and work for the education of children specially girl child
- Work towards gender equality
- Importance of maternal health also can be specified through seminars and presentation
Population Day Quiz
- What percentage of World’s population lives in India?
- During which decade did India see a negative population growth?
- For every additional year of education a woman has, child mortality decreases by what percentage?
- What percentage of the world’s people today lives in urban areas?
- Which state in India has the lowest number of females in comparison to males?
- Which among the following countries has a better gender ratio than India?
- In what year was the birth control pill approved by the U.S. food and drug administration?
- What is definition of the term “carrying capacity”?
- Maximum number of children a woman can bear in her lifetime
- Maximum level of care one person can give to another
- Maximum number of a species an environment can support
- Maximum weight an individual can carry
- At the present rates of population growth of India and China, by which year is India likely to overtake China as the world’s most populous country?
- Which state in India has the highest number of females in comparison to males?
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Entri wishes you all the best for the upcoming examinations.