Table of Contents
All of us need a place to call home, a place where we “belong”. But for millions of refugees and displaced people around the world today, home is little more than a distant dream. Let us do our little part to the refugees around the world. International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems, and to celebrate and reinforce the achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities, and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness-raising actions. In this article let us check on the observation of World Refugee Day 2023 and its theme, quotes, history, significance, and activities.
World Refugee Day 2023 Date – June 20
In this article, readers can get a glimpse on
- History and Objective of World Refugee Day
- The Theme of World Refugee Day 2023
- Facts and Terms with respect to World Refugee Day
- How To Contribute Towards The Observation Of World Refugee Day
History and Significance of World Refugee Day
United Nations General Assembly took a decision on 4 December 2000 based on the resolution 55/76 that from the year 2000, June 20 will be celebrated as world refugee day every year. It was also noted that 2001 marked the 50th anniversary of the 1951 Convention relating to the status of refugees. This day is observed to honor the courage, strength, and determination of people who are forced to flee their homeland under the threat of persecution, conflict, and violence. It is commemorative to raise awareness and to ensure support to the refugees.
The aim of observing world refugee day is to
- To build empathy and raises awareness
- To provide an incentive to create a more peaceful world
- To educate the public about who refugees are and why do they flee their homeland
- To help people understand the challenges faced by the refugees in different places
- To celebrate the contribution refugees make in other countries
- to focus on how the community can provide a safe and welcoming environment for refugees
- To reflect whether the service providers are providing the best possible services to refugees.
World Refugee Day 2023 Theme
UNHCR designates theme for each World Refugee Day campaign. The theme for World Refugee Day 2023 is :Freedom of religion and movement”. Following are the theme since 2001.
- 2022: Whoever, Whatever, Whenever
- 2021: Together we heal, learn and shine
- 2020: Every Action Counts
- 2019: Take A Step on World Refugee Day
- 2018: Now More Than Ever, We Need to Stand with Refugees
- 2017: Embracing Refugees to celebrate our Common Humanity
- 2016: We stand together with refugees
- 2015: With courage let us all combine
- 2014: Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World
- 2013: Take 1 minute to support a family forced to flee
- 2012: 1 family torn apart by war is too many
- 2010: 1 refugee forced to flee is too many
- 2009: Home
- 2008: Protection
- 2007: Perseverance
- 2006: Hope
- 2003: Refugee Youth: Building the Future
- 2002: Tolerance
- 2001: Respect
World Refugee Day 2023 Quotes: Facts and Terms
- There are 70.8 million people around the world who have been forcibly displaced
- Among the forcibly displaced, there are 25.9 million refugees, 41.3 million people displaced in their own country, and 3.5 million asylum-seekers awaiting a determination on refugee status.
- More than half of the world’s 25.9 million refugees are under 18.
- Developing countries house more than 80% of the world’s refugees.
- Asylum: a place where one can go to find safety. To offer asylum means to offer protection in a safe country to people who are in danger in their own country.
- Asylum-seeker: A person who has asked for recognition as a refugee due to fear of persecution, but whose application has not been confirmed by the prospective country of refuge.
- Internally Displaced Person: Someone who has been forced to flee home usually to escape armed conflict, generalized violence, human rights abuses etc. but who has remained within the country
- Refugee: Someone who flees his or her country because of a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Repatriation: When refugees return to their homeland. Voluntary repatriation, or choosing to return home when conditions allow it, is the preferred solution for refugees.
- Returnee: A refugee who has returned to his/her homeland.
World Refugee Day 2023- Activities
Following are few activities that can be done to observe world refugee day 2023
- Volunteer yourself to local refugee organizations
- Raise awareness in your community to check the well being of the refugees there
- Fund raise and also donate to the local refugee organizations
- Be kind and empathetic towards the refugees at your place. Call them home, make friends with them, show them places around
- If possible utilize your talents for the benefit of the refugees around. Organize free sessions for them so that they can gain knowledge that they were restricted from
- Organize concerts, invite them to play a role and also be a part of it thus spreading happiness
- In schools, various competitions can be held as a part of the observation of world refugee day. Drawing contests, speeches, puppet shows, essay competitions can be organized with the theme evolving around understanding and helping the refugees around.
- Awareness sessions can be taken online and offline to help the community be aware of the difficulties and struggles faced by the refugees and also try to involve the community to be a part of supporting the refugees in the respective locality
- UN organizes various events across the world with respect to world refugee day, we can try to be a part of those events too to ensure our support to the refugees in helping them call a place home.
- Involve in the awareness program in social media. Watch and spread videos of world refugee day
World Refugee Day 2023- Quiz
1) As of mid-2020, which country hosted the largest number of refugees?
Answer: Turkey hosts the largest number of refugees, with 3.6 million people. Colombia is second with 1.8 million
2) Along with Turkey, which two countries are in the top three refugee-hosting countries?
Answer: Pakistan and Uganda host around 1.4 million refugees each.
3) More refugees flee their homes in this country than any other.
4) What percentage of the world’s refugees are hosted in developing countries?
Answer: Around 85% of the world’s displaced people are in developing countries.
5) How many Rohingya refugees fled to Bangladesh since 2017?
6) Nearly one person is forcibly displaced every ___ seconds
7) In 2019, what percentage of refugees were enrolled in higher education?
Answers: 3 percent. According to the UNHCR’s 2020 Education Report, titled “Coming Together for Refugee Education,” only 3% of refugee adolescents were engaged in higher education courses, including technical and vocational education and training as well as university courses. Refugee enrolment in primary education is 77 percent, while enrolment in secondary school is 31 percent.
8) By mid-2020, __________ people were displaced worldwide due to conflict, persecution, human rights violations, and violence.
Answer: UNHCR estimates that by mid-2020, 80 million people were displaced worldwide.
9) In September 2015, the Irish Government agreed to accept how many asylum seekers and refugees?
Answer: The Government agreed to accept up to 4,000 asylum seekers and refugees under the Irish Refugee Protection Program at the earliest time possible.
10) Which document forms the basis of UNHCR’s work?
Answer: The 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol form the basis of UNHCR’s work, and enshrines refugee rights which include the right to seek asylum, the right of return, and the right to non-refoulement.
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full-length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Entri wishes you all the best for the upcoming examinations.