Table of Contents
Every year on 14 June, countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day (WBDD). The event, established in 2004, serves to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products and to thank blood donors for their voluntary, life-saving gifts of blood. World Blood Donor Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO), along with World Health Day, World Tuberculosis Day, World Immunization Week, World Malaria Day, World No Tobacco Day, World Hepatitis Day, and World AIDS Day. In this blog, we will discuss World Blood Donor Day 2022.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 Date – June 14
This year, World Blood Donor Day will once again be celebrated around the world on 14 June. The event serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood and also to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations to ensure that all individuals and communities have access to affordable and timely supplies of safe and quality-assured blood and blood products, as an integral part of universal health coverage and a key component of effective health systems.
World Blood Donor Day 2022 Theme – Donating blood is an act of solidarity, Join the effort and save lives”
The campaign theme for this year’s World Blood Donor Day is “Donating blood is an act of solidarity, Join the effort and save lives.” It aims to draw attention to the roles that voluntary blood donations play in saving lives and enhancing solidarity within communities. It reinforces the global call for more people all over the world to donate blood regularly and contribute to better health.
A special focus of this year’s campaign will be the role of young people in ensuring a safe blood supply. In many countries, young people have been at the forefront of activities and initiatives aimed at achieving safe blood supplies through voluntary, non-remunerated blood donations. Young people form a large sector of the population in many societies and are generally full of idealism, enthusiasm and creativity.
The objectives of this year’s campaign are:
- Thank blood donors in the world and create wider public awareness of the need for regular, unpaid blood donation;
- Promote the community values of blood donation in enhancing community solidarity and social cohesion;
- Encourage youth to embrace the humanitarian call to donate blood and inspire others to do the same;
- Celebrate the potential of youth as partners in promoting health.
World Blood Donor Day 2022: History
World Blood Donor Day is celebrated every year by people around the world on June 14. It is celebrated on the birthday anniversary of Karl Landsteiner on June 14, 1868.
World Blood Donor Day brings a precious opportunity to all donors to celebrate and commemorate the birthday anniversary of Karl Landsteiner (a scientist who won the Nobel Prize for his discovery of the ABO blood group system).
World Blood Donor Day 2022: Significance
- People with O-ve blood are considered as universal donor.
- People with Type AB+ blood is considered to be universal recipient.
- A donor must ensure that his/her age is between 18-65 years and weight is more than 45 kgs.
World Blood Donor Day 2022- Quiz
1) What is the quantity of blood donated in one sitting?
Answer: 1 pint
2) Blood donation where specific components of blood are separated and transfused called?
3) What is the minimum you should weigh to donate blood?
Answer: 50 kg
4) How often can a donor give blood?
Answer: 3 months
5) Which is the most common blood type among Americans?
Answer: Type O
6) Name the blood groups that are commonly termed ‘Universal Donor’ and ‘Universal Receiver’.
Answer: Type O negative
7) According to International Red Cross Guidelines, a person cannot donate blood if-
Answer: He/she aged between 18 and 65
8) Can a Thalassemia Minor donate blood?
Answer: Yes, They can
9) Can a diabetic donate blood?
Answer: Yes, if not dependent on insulin injections
10) It is normal to feel weak after a blood donation
Why Practice from Entri?
- Always provides you up to date materials that are created by Entri’s Top Experts.
- Mock tests available in bilingual and other regional languages
- Download Entri to access the unlimited mock test.
Navigating through Entri
- Open your Entri App go to the other general knowledge and check the mock tests.
- You can check courses and Mock test for other examinations as well
- Subscribe to our Mock Test and clear your examination with flying colors.
Ace your preparation. That is where Entri comes in.
Entri helps you to prepare effectively for your exams with free mock tests, previous year question papers, video classes, quizzes, current affairs updates, personal mentorship, etc. Study hard and put in your best. Entri wishes you all the best in your exam preparation.