International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on the observation of World Water Day 2020 and significance of its theme Water and Climate change
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- Objective of Observing World Water Day
- Themes of World Water day
- 2020 theme Water and Climate Change
- How water and climate change is linked
- How To Contribute Towards The Observation Of World Water Day
Objective of Observing World Water Day
World Water day aims at advocating for the sustainable management of water resources. First World Water day was designated by the United Nations in the year 1993.
Globally, 785 million people do not have access to a basic drinking-water service. And even for those who have access to water, the very resource on which a healthy, productive life depends are often inadequate to meet basic needs.
Hence it is very important to educate the society and its common people on how the water usage can be reduced and how the appropriate usage of water can help in reducing occurrences of flood, droughts, scarcity and pollution.
On this Day, March 22 the educators and common men across the world should take it as an important and a kindness act to educate the young and the unaware people about the importance of water conservation.
Themes of World Water Day
Every year a new theme is set so that the activities can revolve around the theme thus enabling a concrete way to achieve the objective. Below mentioned are the themes included since 2010
2020- Water and Climate Change
2019- Leaving No One Behind
2018- Nature for Water
2017-Why Waste Water?
2016- Better Water, Better Jobs
2015- Water and Sustainable Development
2014- Water and Energy
2013- International Year of Cooperation
2012- Water and Food Security
2011- Water for cities
2010- Clean Water for a Healthy World
2020 theme “Water and Climate Change”
World water day 2020 is about Water and Climate change and how the two are inextricably linked.
By adapting to the water effects of climate change we will be able to reduce the effects of climate change and thus lead a healthy living .The theme intends to make the world aware on how the usage of water and how climate change is related.
The key messages of the theme are
- We cannot afford to wait. Climate policy makers must put water at the heart of action plans.
- Water can help fight climate change. There are sustainable, affordable and scalable water and sanitation solutions.
- Everyone has a role to play. In our daily lives, there are surprisingly easy steps we can all take to address climate change.
Climate change is any significant long term change in the expected patterns of average weather of a region or the whole earth over a significant period of time. Climate change is about abnormal variations to the climate, and the effects of these variations on other parts of the Earth.
- Climate change manifests itself primarily through changes in the water cycle
- The delicate balance between evaporation and precipitation is were exactly the climate change is felt
- Higher temperature increases the rate of evaporation and higher the rate of evaporation leads to dry land and causes excess precipitation in other areas
- As temperatures rise, people and animals need more water to maintain their health and thrive. Many important economic activities, like producing energy at power plants, raising livestock, and growing food crops, also require water. The amount of water available for these activities may be reduced as Earth warms and if competition for water resources increases.
- As our climate changes, droughts, floods, melting glaciers, sea-level rise and storms intensify or alter, often with severe consequences.
- Only 3% of the planet’s water is freshwater, and of this, two-thirds is captured in glaciers and polar ice. In the current climate predictions, safeguarding the water we have in the supplies we need for a global population set to reach 10 billion by 2050 will be a challenging task.
- Living with climate change will mean coping with the impacts on water, whether too much or too little, and taking the necessary steps to reduce the vulnerabilities of communities and economies.
Hence water and climate change is interrelated and measures has to be taken on water usage.
Ways to Celebrate World Water Day 2020
Everyone has a role to play. In our daily lives, there are surprisingly easy steps we can all take to address climate change, and protect health.
- Practice appropriate and minimal usage of water
- Spread the message to community through presentation and documentaries
- Plant a tree
- Start practicing 3 R’s. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Stop pollution and spread the message
- Understand the relationship between sanitation and water
- Take steps to save water in your community
- Keep a track on the water usage at home and try to minimize the same. This can be practiced at school and work places too
- Involve in getting the young minds know about the water scarcity
- Help the community in leaping towards the future and giving them an idea on how serious and import the issue is.
- Organize campaigns and spread the message.
- Maintain a water usage diary and keep track on the usage of water regularly.
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Entri wishes you all the best for upcoming examinations.
Because little hands can make a big difference, kindly educate the young minds and be the change you wish to see in the world. Only thinking about solution with no implementation will not help us reach anywhere. So practice what you preach and get involved in protecting our mother earth.