Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from July 06 to 12, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Get free Mock Test for Competitive Exam Preparation!
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 July 06 to 12
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week July 06 to 12, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Shashank Manohar steps down from ICC chairman’s post
- Shashank Manohar stepped down as the first independent chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- Manohar took charge as ICC Chairman in November 2015.
- His deputy Imran Khwaja, from Hong Kong, will be the interim chairman.
India third largest e-waste generator in the world
- India is the third largest electronic waste generator in the world after China and the USA.
- These three countries together contributed 38% of the total 53.6 million tonnes (Mt) of e- waste, generated worldwide in 2019.
- Releasing these data, the UN’s Global E-waste Monitor 2020, however, on Thursday presented a worrying scenario where only 17.4% (9.3 Mt) of the total e-waste was collected and recycled globally.
Asian Development Bank has joined as an observer for France based NGFS
- Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) is a global forum which brings together all the central banks and supervisors around the globe and commits them to manage the financial risks and develop protection and saving opportunities with respect to climate change and the environment.
- NGFS was launched at the Paris One Planet Summit on 12 Dec 2017.
- HQ of ADB: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President of ADB: Masatsugu Asakawa
Assam to upgrade Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary into national park
- After months of Controversy, the Assam State Government has decided for the up-gradation of the status of the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary to National park.
- Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary covers an area of 111.942 square kilometers.
- Under the Project Elephant of the Union Ministry of Environment and Forests, in 1992 Dehing Patkai was declared as an Elephant Reserve.
- Later on 13th June 2004, Dehing Patkai was declared as a Wildlife Sanctuary.
PM Narendra Modi to unveil Asia’s largest solar plant in MP
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will unveil Asia’s largest 750 MW Rewa ultra mega solar plant in Madhya Pradesh via video conference on July 10.
- The Rewa Ultra Mega Solar is established in the Rewa district of Vindhya region of Madhya Pradesh, with a total solar installed capacity of 750 MW.
- It is one of the largest single-site solar power plants in Asia.
G Akash becomes India’s 66th Chess Grandmaster
- Tamil Nadu’s G Akash became the country’s 66th chess Grandmaster while his statemate M Pranesh and Goa’s Ameya Audi earned International Master titles.
- Having won the national title in 2012 and earned the IM title subsequently, Akash took a break to pursue an engineering degree in 2014.
- He made a comeback in 2018 and worked hard to earn his coveted GM title.
India Ranked 117th in SDG Index 2020
- The Sustainable Development Report 2020 presents the SDG Index and Dashboards for all UN member states. It was prepared by teams of independent experts at the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Bertelsmann Stiftung.
- The SDG index frames the implementation of 17 SDG goals among UN member states in terms of six broad transformations: (1) Education and skills, (2) health and wellbeing, (3) clean energy and industry, sustainable land use, sustainable cities, and digital technologies.
- Among 193 countries for which the SDG index was prepared, India stands at the 117th position with an overall score of 61.92. China is ranked at 48, Brazil at 53 and Russia at 57.The index has been topped by Sweden.2nd Denmark.
Israel successfully launched its Intelligence Satellite Ofek-16 into LEO
- On 6th July 2020, from Central Israel’s Palmachim Airbase Israel successfully launched its intelligence satellite ‘Ofek-16’ into the Low Earth Orbit (LEO).
- This is the 12th Satellite launched by Israel under its Ofek family of satellites.
- The Ofek-16 Satellite was launched as a payload of the rocket- Shavit 2.
Former RBI governor, Urjit Patel has written a book titled ‘Overdraft: Saving the Indian Saver’
- Former RBI governor, Urjit Patel has written a book titled ‘Overdraft: Saving the Indian Saver’ will be released later this month.
- The book focuses on the non-performing assets (NPAs) issue that has afflicted Indian banking in recent years.
- It is published by Harper Collins India.
- Patel resigned from RBI 2018.
IARI Jharkhand named after Late Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee on his birth anniversary
- The Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), Jharkhand new administrative and the academic building have been named after Late Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee on his 119th birth anniversary.
- Shyama Prasad Mukherjee was born in a Bengali family on this day in 1901. His father Ashutosh Mukherjee was a judge of the Calcutta High Court.
- At the age of 33, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee became the youngest vice-chancellor of Calcutta University in 1934.
ISRO set to launch Brazil’s Amazonia-1 Satellite in August 2020
- The first earth observation satellite to be entirely developed by Brazil will be launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- The satellite is known by the name ‘Amazonia-1’.
- India and Brazil entered an agreement to cooperate in the field of Outer space in 2005.
United States formally notifies UN of its decision to Withdraw From World Health Organization (WHO)
- The United States has formalized to withdraw from the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The withdrawal notice was sent to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on 6th July 2020 and will take effect on July 6, 2021.
- Headquarters of WHO: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Director-general of WHO: Tedros Adhanom.
USAID & MNRE partners for clean energy development
- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has announced a partnership for clean energy development.
- The partnership has been established between the USAID-supported South Asia Group for Energy (SAGE) and MNRE’s National Technical Institutions.
- SAGE will also help the US in achieving its goals of Asia EDGE (Asia Enhancing Growth and Development through Energy) Initiative.
Kerala government is launching a project ‘Chiri’ (smile) aimed psychological support to children
- Many parents were also stressed up owing to the uncertainties over the future due to the Covid-19 situation
- Hence they were also not able to spend quality time with children. Hence children may feel isolated.
- Meanwhile, the Kerala government is launching a project ‘Chiri’ (smile) aimed at addressing this issue.
- A committee headed by Director General of Fire and Rescue Services R Sreelekha was also constituted to study the matter.
Kezang D Thongdok of Arunachal Pradesh wins 2020 Dada Saheb Phalke Award
- Kezang D Thongdok, a filmmaker, has bagged the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2020.
- Thongdok’s short documentary Chi Lupo artfully sketches the custom of honey hunting practised in the Shertukpen community wherein ‘Chi’ means honey and ‘Lupo’ means hunters.
- Presently, Thongdok is working on his new project, a documentary film titled ‘Khiksaba’, an unexplored festival of Shertukpen tribe.
Download Entri App and Start using Discussion Forum
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.
Discussion about this post