Table of Contents
International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce the achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community with an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same.
Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make the international day a springboard for awareness-raising actions. It is on the 16th of October, every year that World Food Day is celebrated as a way to appreciate the amazing and healthy food we eat. It is not just restricted to that but includes the awareness on how to tackle world hunger. More than 150 countries come together to spread awareness on the issues of poverty and hunger.
In this article let us check what all we should know about World Food Day 2022!
World Food Day 2022 Date – 16 October
In this article, you will get a glimpse of the following:
- History of World Food Day 2022
- Theme of World Food Day 2022
- World Food Day 2022 day Activities
- World Food Day 2022 Quiz
World Food Day History
World Food Day is celebrated every year around the world on 16 October in honour of the date of the founding of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in 1945. The day is celebrated widely by many other organizations concerned with food security, including the World Food Programme and the International Fund for Agricultural Development.
World Food Day (WFD) was established by FAO’s Member Countries at the Organization’s 20th General Conference in November 1979. The Hungarian Delegation, led by the former Hungarian Minister of Agriculture and Food Dr Pál Romány, played an active role at the 20th Session of the FAO Conference and suggested the idea of celebrating the WFD worldwide. It has since been observed every year in more than 150 countries, raising awareness of the issues behind poverty and hunger.
The Theme for World Food Day 2022
The world food day theme 2021 is – “Our actions are our future- Better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life.”
- World Food Day 2020 theme is “Grow, nourish, sustain. Together. Our actions are our future.”
- World Food Day 2019 theme is “healthy diets for a zero hunger world”, to raise awareness, share experiences and plan for future activities.
- World Food Day 2018 theme was: “Our Actions Are Our Future, Ending World Hunger by 2030 is Possible”
- The theme of World Food Day 2017 was “Change the future of migration.” The world is on the move. More people have been forced to flee their homes than at any time since the Second World War due to increased conflict and political instability.
- The theme for World Food Day 2016 was “Climate is changing
- The theme for 2015 was “Social Protection and Agriculture: breaking the cycle of rural poverty”. The day aimed to broaden public awareness of the world’s food shortage and to strengthen solidarity in the struggle against hunger, malnutrition and poverty
- The theme for 2014 was Family Farming: Feeding the world, caring for the earth – in line with 2014 being the UN’s official International Year of Family Farming.
Following are the themes over the past few years:
- 2000: A millennium free from hunger
- 2001: Fight hunger to reduce poverty
- 2002: Water: source of food security
- 2003: Working together for an international alliance against hunger
- 2004: Biodiversity for food security
- 2005: Agriculture and intercultural dialogue
- 2006: Investing in agriculture for food security
- 2007: The right to food
- 2008: World food security: the challenges of climate change and bioenergy
- 2009: Achieving food security in times of crisis
- 2010: United against hunger
- 2011: Food prices – from crisis to stability
- 2012: Agricultural cooperatives – key to feeding the world
- 2013: Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition
World Food Day Activities 2022
Following are the world food day activities that should be carried out:
- Help the students and the community be aware of the food shortage
- Create awareness to the society to stop the waste of food
- Surveys can be conducted to check on the food wastage at different homes and methods to reduce it
- Many events and projects can be conducted to avoid the wastage of food
- Fundraise and donate to help the needy be served with a one-time meal on this day
- Food exhibitions can be conducted based on different country food items to accept and identify the diversity in the intake of food across the world
- Promote local farming
- Support Agriculture
- Support farmers
- Help the children identify the heroes working behind the production of food
- Plan a farm visit for students and help them learn about different plant species
- An educational tour can be conducted to the local dairy factory to help the students aware of the processing and packaging of food materials
- Appropriate disposal of food waste has to be maintained and the community should be made aware of this too.
World Food Day Quiz 2022
An estimated 2 trillion dollars are spent each year to treat health problems caused by obesity. These illnesses include heart disease and stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, gallbladder disease and gallstones, osteoarthritis, gout, and breathing problems such as sleep apnea and asthma, and a healthy diet is an important measure to prevent these diseases.
4. What is the title of the World Food Day 2019 activity book series?
5. The three most commonly consumed kinds of cereal are maize, rice and …?
6. When was World Food Day first Observed?
7. Can you name this root vegetable, which is the third-largest source of carbohydrate worldwide?
D) Sugar beet
- You will be provided with an online platform to prepare for the exam.
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class.
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties.
- One will get revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes.
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full-length mock tests including previous year question papers.
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts.