Table of Contents
Accounting is a respectable profession that will always be in demand considering that all companies in all industries need to manage their accounting. Accountants monitor, document and analyze funding on behalf of a business while also attending to other financial records and business accounts. If you’re interested in accounting and don’t have experience yet, it’s still possible to begin your career and secure an entry-level accounting job.
What are Accounting Jobs?
People working in accounting jobs are tasked with ensuring the accuracy of financial statements for individuals and organizations. They prepare the financial statements, make sure that they are accurate and within the boundaries of the law and also verify that all outstanding taxes are paid in full and on time. Depending on the sector in which they operate, there are different types of accounting jobs, They includes:
Public accounting: Public accountants work for international, regional or local accounting firms and provide accounting services to the firm’s clients. They typically specialize in one or more aspects of accounting, such as auditing, financial planning or tax preparation.
Private accounting: Private accountants are typically hired by an organization to handle its accounting responsibilities. The hiring companies range from small businesses to international corporations and the hired accountants are typically involved in any financial decision that the company makes, such as various transactions, managing taxes and maintaining relationships with banks.
Financial services accounting: Accounting professionals are also employed in the financial field, for institutions like commercial banks. Depending on their experience and skills, their work responsibilities can range from working with customers inside the bank headquarters to analyzing the viability of credits and loans, administering funds, asset management and others.
Nonprofit accounting: Accountants hired by nonprofit organizations are usually in charge of managing contributions, fundraising activities and membership fees, as well as making sure that the organization complies with nonprofit laws.
Government accounting: Local, state and federal governments hire accountants to investigate compliance with financial regulations, perform audits and conduct research on new developments in the accounting field.
How to Acquire an Accountant Job?
- Earn a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Decide between becoming a CPA or an accountant
- Pass the CPA exam
- Look for campus recruiting programs
- Ask your college professors
- Network both offline and online
- Use major job websites
Top skills to become an Accountant
- Specialized experience – Many employers look for candidates with a background in anti-money laundering (AML).Companies also seek accountants with experience in revenue recognition.
- General business knowledge – Accounting professionals who possess strong business acumen can help develop strategy, inform key decisions and serve as business partners across multiple departments. The better you understand the overall business, and how you and your team fit into the big picture, the more productive your relationships outside your department will be.
- Up-to-date technology expertise – Candidates must be up to date along with the technology. You need to gain familiarity and even your expertise with the specific software and tools accounting leaders are looking for:
- Advanced Excel
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP) (e.g., SAP, Oracle)
- Big data analysis, advanced modeling techniques and SQL
- Business intelligence software (e.g., IBM Cognos)
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Hyperion (for analyst and financial reporting roles)
- Microsoft Visual Basic skills
- QuickBooks (for positions with small and midsize firms)
- Communication skills – Both verbal and written communication skills are critical for success in any accounting role. The insights you share will be of no use to others if you can’t communicate them in a way that can be understood and acted upon.
- Adaptability and flexibility – Adaptability and flexibility are also top among the skills accounting professionals possess. A key driver for this trend is technological change, like the rise of artificial intelligence (AI) as a critical business tool. The ability to pivot and roll with change is an absolute must.
- Leadership abilities – Employers look for individuals who can avoid or resolve conflicts, adapt well to change, mentor others and embrace continuous learning.
- Customer service orientation – A solid customer service skills are critical Whether you work in public or private accounting. If you work in a public accounting firm, you need to be able to retain current customers and bring in new clients and if you work in corporate accounting firm, you must meet the needs of the organization’s, other departments and managers.
|Accounting courses we offer||
Accounting courses in Different Cities
|Business Accounting & Finance Certification|
|UAE Accounting Course|
Tips For Getting a Job as an Accountant
Working in accounting can field can offer numerous advancement opportunities. Here are some tips for beginning your accounting career:
- Stay positive – Staying positive will motivate you to continue searching for jobs at your education and experience level.
- Make sure you enjoy working with numbers – As long as you can do the basics—adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing—you can do the job.
- Optimize your company search – Search for companies who are willing to train new employees on accounting concepts. Small companies may not have a formal hiring process and are more willing to hire people with little to no experience.
- Apply above your level – Apply for job listings that require more experience than you actually have. Employers may be more willing to recruit candidates with minimal experience if they have the necessary qualifications and demonstrate a passion for the field.
- Keep learning – Try to learn from every resume submission and interaction with a hiring manager. Reflecting on these experiences can support your career development and increase your confidence. The job search and application process can be a beneficial learning experience.
- Stay flexible – If you want to be a lead accountant, consider applying for an entry-level or support role in an office that also employs accountants but may not directly relate to accounting. You can also use your time in a support role to learn by observing the accountants at the company.
- Develop your soft skills – Developing soft skills is an important thing for an accountant. It will influence how you interact with others in the organization.
- Build workplace skills – Besides the number skills, you also need to be :
- A problem solver
- An analytical thinker
- Literate in general computer skills and accounting software
- A good verbal and written communicator
9. Take math, finance, and business classes – If you are interested in this field and you already knows that take as many courses in math, computer science, economics, statistics, and business as you can.
10. Earn your bachelor’s degree – Many entry-level positions require a candidate to have a bachelor’s degree. Aim for a degree in accounting or a related field, where you’ll study topics like basic financial accounting, business law, statistics, economics, auditing, managerial accounting, accounting entities, income tax accounting, and more.
11. Gain experience through an internship or entry-level job – After finishing graduation it is the time to gain some experience. You can pursue this through an internship or with an entry-level position. Not only will it look great on your resume and help you land a better job in the future, but it will help you understand the field better and maybe even lead you to a specialty.
12. Consider what kind of career you want – It is not necessary that all the accountants are doing the same work. While you’re gaining experience, think about what you might want your specialty to be. If you like solving problems and getting to the bottom of a situation, forensics may be for you. If you enjoy paying close attention to details, you may want to become an auditor.
13. Earn a master’s degree – if you have a master’s degree, you’ll typically earn more. Many master’s degrees in accounting can be obtained through online programs.
14. Become a CPA – There are some financial firms, especially a large businesses and organizations, require a CPA. To become a CPA requires, a bachelor’s degree, a specific number of hours of accounting-related education and experience, age minimums, residency requirements, and passing an ethics exam. Once you meet the above requirements, you’ll need to work under a licensed CPA for a certain number of hours.These requirements may vary from state to state.
15. Get Certified – If you don’t want to become a CPA,You can earn some other certifications. They are :
- A certified management accountant (CMA) has both accounting and managerial skills. This is typically needed to become a chief financial officer for a company.
- An enrolled agent (EA) is an expert when it comes to the tax code and works mostly on tax law.
- Certified internal auditors (CIAs) are certified to conduct internal audits of a company.
How Entri can help you to become an Accountant?
You can join the Business Accounting & Finance Certification Programme provided by Entri to Become a certified accountant with detailed knowledge of practical accounting, Tally, ERP, Taxation etc.& get placed in top companies.
Key Features of this Course:
- Industry Experts And Qualified CAs To Guide.
- 60 Hours Of Video Classes On Accounting Concepts And ERP Software.
- Practical Accounting Assignments And Evaluation (Tally).
- Live Doubt-Clearing Session.
- 100% Global Placement Assistance.
- 100% Internship Assurance.
This programme is designed for commerce graduates who intend to pursue a career in accounting or are fond of finance accounting.
- B.Com graduates
- Anyone with a commerce background
- Anyone seeking a job as an accountant
|UAE Accounting in Malayalam||Best Taxation Course Online in Kerala||Tally Certification Course in Kerala|
|Practical Accounting Training Course||Online Options Trading Course||GST Course Online in Malayalam|