Table of Contents
Mole Day is celebrated on the 23rd of October annually and is enjoyed whole-heartedly by chemists, chemistry students and chemistry enthusiasts across the world. This day is commemorated in honour of Avogadro’s number and is marked from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m. The main aim is to make students interested in chemistry by directing various activities associated with moles and chemistry.
More specifically, the celebrations take place between 6:02 AM and 6:02 PM. In the U.S., the time and date are written 6:02 10/23. The time and date are derived from Avogadro’s number. Avagadro’s number is approximately 6.02×10^23. Hence, defining the number of particles (i.e, atoms or molecules) in one mole of a substance. It is one of the seven base SI units.
What is the Avogadro number?
Avogadro number is denoted as 6.02×1023 and is defined as the number of particles present in a single mole of any substance. This number or a mole is a basic measuring unit for atoms and molecules discovered by Amedeo Avogadro, an 18th-century Italian scientist.
The History and Significance of National Mole Day 2022
The day originated around the 1980s when an article appeared in The Science Teacher. Later, a retired high school chemistry teacher, Maurice Oehler from Wisconsin, USA, drew inspiration from the article and founded the National Mole Day Foundation.
When written in American format, the day resembles the Avogadro number, which signifies the number of molecules or atoms contained in a mole. The day is a special day for all the people associated with the subject of chemistry. Many activities related to moles and chemistry are conducted to mark this day.
National Mole Day 2022 Theme
National Mole Day 2022 Activities, Celebration
There are several ways to celebrate this scientific day.
- Learn more about molecular science and Avogadro’s number.
- Exploring the international system of measurement using moles.
- Test your knowledge of chemistry. Celebrate with other chemists and chemistry students around you.
- Conduct a mole experiment. While conducting it, see how many puns you can tell.
- In your classroom, try doing a video with your students demonstrating what a mole is.
- Create a rap about the mole. Be sure to include a little history of Amedeo Avogadro.
- While reading up on Italian scientist Amedeo Avogadro, explore other chemists of his era.
- Wear a t-shirt with 6.02×10^23 on it.
National Mole Day 2022 Interesting Facts
On Mole Day, let us know more about the timeline from the establishment of the mole as the unit for measurement to other important events related to this day. Try participating in various mole day activities happening near you.
- It was in 1811 when Avogadro made the first hypothesis that equal volumes of nitrogen and hydrogen maintained under the same pressure and temperature will have the same molecular count.
- The credit for this discovery was awarded to Avogadro only after his death, unfortunately.
- In the year 1985, Margaret Christoph, a science teacher from Delaware mentions celebrating a day for chemistry with her students in the month of October. She cites this as a day filled with chemistry-related activities every year.
- The celebration was mentioned in an article in “The Science Teacher”.
- Inspired by this article, the National Mole Day was started in the year 1991 by another high school teacher of Chemistry, Maurice Oehler.
- The National Chemistry Week sponsored by the American Chemical Society also falls in the month of October which has the Mole Day in the week making it an important event for the Chemistry week itself.
- In the year 2017, an ode to the franchise of the Avengers Superheroes was created under the name “molEvengers”
Undoubtedly like every other thing cis celebrated, even mole being an essential part of chemistry should be acknowledged. Looking at it closely, Avogadro’s number, mole or any other smallest thing can affect in a huge way. Thus, this deserves a celebration.
To get more information such interesting topics, you can download the Entri app free of cost and join the class. Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculty.
|RRB Exams Coaching
|RRB JE Online Coaching
|SSC JE Online Coaching
|SSC Online Coaching
|UPSC Online Coaching
|Bank Exam Coaching Online