In our comparative analysis series, we are here with a comparative analysis on SBI Clerk vs SSC CHSL. While SSC had recently released the SSC CHSl tentative vacancies here on 15th Nov 2019, 8000 clerk vacancies are expected through the SBI Clerk 2020 recruitment. Here is an attempt of a detailed comparative analysis of SBI Clerk vs SSC CHSL in terms of their job profile, responsibilities, salary and career growth.
Download Entri today to gain entry into the professional world of your dreams!
All about the SSC CHSL Exam
Staff Selection Commission Combined Higher Secondary Level(10+2) also known as SSC CHSl is a secondary level clerical exam. 12th passed students are eligible for the SSC CHSL. SSC conducts the exam every year. The next Tier 1 CBT is scheduled for March / April 2020. It is an examination for the post of Lower Division Clerk/Junior Secretariat Assistant, Postal Assistant and Data Entry Operator. SSC (Staff Selection Commission) conducts CHSL (Combined Higher Secondary Level) annually.
SBI Clerk vs SSC CHSL: Roles and responsibilities
SSC CHSL exam is conducted for various positions like Postal Assistants ( PA)/Sorting Assistants(SA), Data Entry Operator( DEO), Lower Divisional Clerk (LDC) or the Court Clerk
Lower Divisional Clerk (LDC)
- Registration of mails.
- Indexing, registering and maintaining file registers.
- Receiving documents and maintaining the record of the same.
- Preparation of simple drafts and statements.
Data Entry Operator( DEO)
- have a good typing speed. This is also tested through a typing test before the final result.
- be comfortable in working on softwares like MS Excel, Word and Power point
- prepare reports
- enter and manage data.
PAPO (Postal Assistant in Post Offices)
- The candidate will be posted in Post Offices and had to work at the counter.
- A Postal Assistant is the person who sits in the counter and helps you in booking the article.
- The benefit of PAPO is that you can regularly come across many customers and will always be updated with the latest changes happening in the Post Office environment.
PASBCO (Postal Assistant in Savings Bank Control Organization)
- A Postal Assistant in Savings Bank Control Organization (PASBCO) will be required to monitor the Savings Bank’s related work.
- A PASBCO cannot work in all Post Offices. The posting will only be in the Head Post Offices.
PACO/RO (Postal Assistant in Circle/Regional Offices)
- Circle/Regional Offices are the administrative wing of Postal Department. PACO/RO is a separate administrative cadre and those selected are posted at Circle/Regional Offices situated in main cities within the circle (maximum 2-5 offices).
- A Postal Assistant (PA) is required to perform the file related work and will not be dealing directly with the customers.
PARLO (Postal Assistant in Returned Letter offices)
A Postal Assistant (PA) is required to assist in the following functions of Returned Letter Offices.
- In the Returned Letter Office, efforts are made to locate the correct address of the addressee, and if located, the mail is forwarded to the addressee.
- When the address of the addressee cannot be located, efforts are made to locate the address of the sender by opening the letter. If located, mail is returned to sender.
- Mail which cannot be delivered either to the addressee or to the sender is disposed of after detention for the prescribed period.
PAMMS (Postal Assistant in Mail Motor Services)
A Postal Assistant in Mail Motor Services (PAMMS) plays an important role in intra-city transmission of mail between Mail Offices and Post Offices.
PAFPO (Postal Assistant in Foreign Post Organization)
A Postal Assistant in Foreign Post Organization (PAFPO) deals with the foreign articles transmitted through Post office network.
SARMS (Sorting Assistant in Railway Mail Service)
A Sorting Assistant (SA) will be posted in RMS Units available within the circle mainly situated in a Railway Station or near it. SA will be working in shifts and often had to work in night shifts also.
At RMS, the SA is required to sort mails being sent through the Post Office Network.
SSC CHSL Court Clerks:
The Court Clerks are appointed at entry level clerical positions in various Tribunals (Central Administrative Tribunal, National Green Tribunal, Debt Recovery Tribunal,)under different Departments of the Government of India. They handle administrative work regarding hearings and arrange records taking them out as and when required
SBI Clerk Job Profile
Clerks/Junior Associate is required to assist customers and potential customers through various banking processes. They need to be highly confident and answer every query. They are involved in
1. Document Verification
2. Managing Single Window Counter
3. Attending to Government Treasury Work
4. Update Pass Books
5. Issue Cash Receipts at Counters
6. Clearing and Transferring Cheques and Receipts as per request
7. Verification of Vernacular Signatures
Download Entri today to access the mock tests and test papers!
SBI Clerk vs SSC CHSL: Career Growth
SSC CHSL: Career Growth
The career growth for all positions under SSC CHSL is similar across all cadres. The movement up the hierarchy of positions is completely through promotions and direct recruitment is only done for this assistant level position. The career path is as below:
LDC Career Path
LDC is the starting level clerical position in Central Government Ministries and Departments. The next level of positions available during the career is Assistant/ Upper Divisional Clerk ⇒ Division Clerk ⇒ Section Officer
Court Clerk Career Path
The career path for a Court Clerk in the Central Government Departments is Assistant Clerk ⇒Bench Clerk ⇒ Head Clerk
Data Entry Operator (DEO) Career Path
The career progression of a Data Entry Operator (DEO) is Data Entry Operator Grade B ⇒ Data Entry Operator Grade C ⇒Data Entry Operator Grade F (System Analyst)
Postal/ Sorting Assistant career path includes
Lower Selection Grade (LSG) / Supervisor ⇒ Higher Selection Grade (HSG) II / Senior Supervisor ⇒ Higher Selection Grade (HSG) II / Chief Supervisor
Career Path of Bank Clerks:
They have the opportunity of becoming the Trainee Officer [equivalent to PO] in 3–5 years [by clearing departmental exam] which will double their existing salary.
Bank Clerk if hardworking can reach highest at General Manager level in PSB . This means salary in lakhs and facilities equivalent to a Senior Grade A officer.
SSC CHSL Salary
|Post Name||Basic Pay||HRA||TA||Gross Salary||In Hand||City|
SBI Clerk Salary
|Basic SBI clerk Salary||11,765 – 31,540|
|Dearness Allowance DA(@45% of Basic Salary currently)||Rs.5,312|
|Transport Allowance||Rs 425|
|House Rent Allowance HRA@24% of Basic Salary)||800 – 1176|
|Gross Salary||20,000 – 25,000|
SSC CHSL selection process
Consists of two stages i.e. written examination and Skill test or Typing test. The successful candidates of stage I (written examination) will be called for the stage II skill test or typing test.
In the end, SSC CHSL is a central government job and may seem better than a PSU job like the SBI Clerk. It will have a steady growth and complete job security, lesser workload as compared to a bank clerk/PO. While an SSC CHSL job may look brighter in terms of certain factors, the SBI clerk job with its prospects looks more challenging and interesting. In terms of quality of work , Bank Clerks who in the future becomes Officers have better quality financial work to do like Retail banking, Forex, Corporate Banking, HR banking. Bank jobs are also transferrable in nature as compared to Clerks of Central govt.
But the choice is yours, and yours alone to make!
Whatever it is, Entri is with you every step you take. With the latest exam updates, loads of information, mock tests and other preparation material, you will be ready to ace any exam!
Download Entri today to access the mock tests and test papers!
Discussion about this post