JEE Main is national level entrance exam for Engineering and Architecture aspirants in the country conducted by National testing Agency (NTA). JEE Main is conducted twice a year one in January and the other in April. The JEE Main 2020 Exam in April has been postponed to the last week of May 2020 due to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. All the Candidates aspiring to take admission to undergraduate programs in IITs, NITs will have to take the JEE Main 2020 exam as JEE Main examination is eligibility test for JEE Advanced. JEE Main exam is the most difficult entrance exam in India to crack. JEE Main 2020 April exam will be conducted in the CBT (Computer-Based Test) format. In this article we will discuss about admission process, eligibility, criteria etc. in detail
JEE Main 2020 –Important dates
|Online submission of Application form||07.02.2020 to 06.03.2020(upto11.50 p.m)|
|Successful transaction of fee||07.02.2020 to 07.03.2020 (through Credit card/Debit card/Net banking/UPI/PayTM Service upto 11.50 p.m.)|
|Dates of examination||Exams scheduled on April 5,7,9 and 11 , 2020 is postponed to last week of May|
Mode of Examination:
- a) B.E. /B. Tech. in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only.
- b) B. Arch: Mathematics- Part I and Aptitude Test-Part II in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only and Drawing Test –Part III in “Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on drawing sheet of A4 size.
- c) B. Planning: Mathematics- Part I, Aptitude Test-Part II and Planning Based Questions-Part III in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only.
Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main 2020:
Below mentioned are the required eligibility criteria for the candidates appearing for JEE Main 2020 must poses-
There is no particular age limit for candidates appearing for JEE Main 2020 exams. The candidates who have passed class 12th / equivalent examination in the 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 irrespective of their age can appear in JEE Main examination 2020.
- The final examination of 10+2 class conducted by central or state boards in India.
- Intermediate or two years pre-university examination conducted by recognized board / university.
- Final examination of the two year course of the joint services wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Higher secondary certificate vocational examination.
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a State board of technical education of at least 3 year duration.
- General certificate education (GCE) examination(London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) with advanced A level
- High school certificate examination of Cambridge university or the International baccalaureate Diploma of the international Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination:
- candidates who have passed their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in JEE Main April 2020 Examination.
- Candidates who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2017 or before are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2020 April exam
- Also those candidates who will appear for class 12th examination in 2021 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2020.
State Of Eligibility:
- State code of eligibility means the code of the State from where the candidate has passed Class 12th / equivalent qualifying examination irrespective of candidates native place becomes eligible to appear in JEE Main 2020.i.e, If a candidate whose native place is Kerala appears for his class 12th / equivalent qualifying examination in Karnataka then his state code of eligibility will be Karnataka.
- If a candidate has passed Class 12th or equivalent qualifying examination from one State but appeared for improvement from another State then the candidate’s State code of eligibility will be from where the candidate first passed Class 12th or equivalent qualifying.
- Candidate passed/appearing for class 12th from NIOS should select the State of Eligibility according to the State in which the study centre is located.
- For the nationalities of India who passed Class 12th or its equivalent from Nepal or Bhutan, the state of eligibility will be determined based on the permanent address as mentioned in the passport.
Online Application Form of JEE Main 2020:
- Candidates must apply for JEE Main April 2020 “Online” only through the official website https://www.nta.ac.in/ and https://jeemain.nta.nic.in/
- The Application Form other than online mode would not be accepted in any case. Only one application is to be submitted by a candidate. i.e, multiple application forms submitted will be rejected.Following is required to be kept ready before filling out the application forms-
- A computer with good Internet connectivity.
- All the required qualification details and Scanned clear passport photograph in JPG /JPEG format (size between 10 kb–200 kb) also a scanned clear signature in JPG /JPEG format( size between 4 kb-30 kb ).
- Scanned clear 12th Class or equivalent Admit card/Mark sheet/Score Card (size between 50 kb-500 kb).
- A valid e-mail Id through which further communication will be made.
- Valid mobile number as all information via SMS will be sent to this number.
- A valid debit/credit card or Net banking account or PayTM service.
- A printer connected to your system to print confirmation page.
JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern & Syllabus:
Below mentioned is the exam pattern for JEE Main 2020 April session-
|Paper||subjects||Type of Questions||Mode of Examination|
Physics & Chemistry
|Objective Type-Multiple choice Questions & Questions for which answer is a numerical value with equal weightage to Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry.||Computer Based Test (CBT) mode only.|
|Mathematics- Part I||Objective Type –Multiple choice Questions & Questions for which answer is a numerical value||Computer Based Test (CBT) mode only.|
|Aptitude Test- Part II||Objective Type –Multiple choice Questions|
|Drawing Test- Part III||Questions to Test drawing aptitude||“Pen & Paper based”(offline)mode to be attempted on drawing sheet|
|B.Planning||Mathematics-Part I||Objective Type –Multiple choice Questions & Questions for which answer is a numerical value||Computer Based Test (CBT) mode only.|
|Aptitude Test- Part II||Objective Type –Multiple choice Questions|
|Planning Based Questions- Part III||Objective Type –Multiple choice Questions|
For detailed Exam pattern of JEE Main 2020 click here
Syllabus for B.E./B. Tech. Paper 1–
Mathematics– Sets Relations and functions,Complex numbers and quadratic equations,Matrices and Determinants,Permutations and Combinations,Mathematical inductions,Binomial theorem and it’s simple applications,Sequence and series,Limit,continuity and differentiability,Integral calculus,Differential Equations,Coordinate geometry,Three Dimensional Geometry,Vector Algebra,Statistics and Probability,Trigonometry,Mathematical reasoning.
Physics– Physics and measurements,kinematics,laws of motion,Work, Energy and power,Rotational motion, gravitation,Properties of solids and liquids,Thermodynamics,Kinetic theory of gases,Oscillations and waves,Electrostatics,Current electricity,Magnetic effects of current and magnetism,Electromagnetic inductions and alternating currents,Electromagnetic waves,Optics,Dual nature of matter and radiation,Atoms and nuclei,Electronic devices,Communication systems,Experimental skills.
Chemistry– Some basic concepts in chemistry,States of matter,Atomic structure,Chemical bonding and molecular structure,Chemical thermodynamics,solutions,Equilibrium,Redox reactions and electrochemistry,Chemical kinetics, Surface chemistry,Classification of elements and periodicity properties,general principles and processes of isolation of metals,Hydrogen,S-block elements(Alkali and alkaline earth metals,P-block elements,d and f-block elements,Co-ordination compounds,Environmental chemistry,purification and characterization of organic compounds,Some basic principles of organic chemistry,Hydrocarbons,Organic compounds containing Halogens,Organic compounds containing oxygen,Organic compounds containing Nitrogen,Polymers,Biomolecules,Chemistry in everyday life,Principles related to practical chemistry.
Syllabus for B. Arch/ B.Planning Paper 2 – Aptitude Test:
Syllabus for B.Arch and B.planning Mathematics is same as Paper 1. Aptitude syllabus for part 1 and part 2 are as follows-
Aptitude Syllabus for part 1-
Awareness of persons, places, buildings, materials,Objects, Texture related to Architecture and build -environment.Visualizing three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings.Visualizing different sides of three-dimensional objects. Analytical reasoning,mental ability(visual,numerical and verbal).
Aptitude Syllabus Part-2:
Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of building forms, elements, objects, color texture, contrast and harmony in three-dimensional perceptions.Designing and drawing geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil. Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union,subtraction ,rotation,development of surface and volumes,creating 2 D and 3 D compositions using given shapes and forms,Generation of plan,elevations and 3 D view of objects.Sketching of scenes and activities from memory of urbanscape, landscape and rural life.
NB:candidates must bring own pencil,geometry box set,eraser,colour pencils and crayons for Aptitude Test.
Click here for the official notification of syllabus of JEE Main 2020.
Qualification required for Admission to NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, SFIs, State Engineering Colleges for Participating States and Other Participating Institutions:
Eligibility for Admission to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs participating through Central Seat Allocation Board:
- Admission will be based on All India Rank subject to the condition that the candidate should have secured at least 75% marks in the 12th class examination, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class / Qualifying examination conducted by the respective Boards.
- For SC/ST candidates the qualifying marks would be 65% in the 12th class / qualifying examination.
The eligibility criteria decided by the Council of Architecture for admission to B.Arch. course other than NITs, IIITs, CFTIs:
- No candidate shall be admitted to architecture course unless she/he has passed an examination with 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and also 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
- For B. Planning, the candidates should have passed qualifying examination with 50 % marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
Required Subject combinations in the qualifying examination for admission to B.E./B.Tech, B. Arch and B. Planning Courses in NITs, IIITs, and other CFTIs are as shown below-
|Course||Required Criteria based on Class 12th / Equivalent qualifying Examination|
|B.E/B.Tech||Passed qualifying examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/ Technical Vocational subject.|
|B.Arch||Passed qualifying examination with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry|
|B.Planning||Passed qualifying examination with Mathematics|
How you can use Entri app for your exam preparation:
- Entri provides an user friendly online platform to help you prepare for the exams .
- Download for free of cost and get access to video classes, exams and study cards with a single subscription fee.
- You can access full length mock tests and previous year question papers
Hope you have benefited from this article. Check us for further details. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming exams.
|JEE Exam Information Links|
|JEE Notification||JEE Mock Test|
|JEE Syllabus||JEE Video Course|
|JEE Exam date||JEE Study Materials|
|JEE Application Form||JEE Interview Questions|
|JEE Vacancy||JEE Job Profile|
|JEE Admit Card||JEE Salary|
|JEE Study Plan||JEE Preparation Tips and Tricks|
|JEE Previous Question Papers||JEE Result|
|JEE Best Books||JEE Cutoff|
|JEE Eligibility Criteria||JEE Exam Analysis|
|JEE Answer key|