Table of Contents
Floof ! Woof !! Who doesn’t love these little creatures?! Rightly called a man’s best friend, dogs are one of the most loved animals on the planet. Easily found in different sizes and breeds, they lift your mood on any day. Dogs play a great role in everyday life of humans in different forms- they are security, friend and companion, law enforcement partner and what not?! So, it is our duty to protect them at any cost and pave the way for a better shelter for these canines. However, the plight of dogs in different regions across various countries is not lovey-dovey. Therefore, in order to raise awareness about the ill treatment towards dogs and encourage dog adoption, International Dog Day is celebrated every year on 26th of August. Let us read in detail about International Dog Day 2021 in this article. So, gear up dear Canophiles!
International Dog Day 2021
The relationship between dogs and humans dates back to many centuries earlier. There is evidence that proves the longevity of the human-canine bond down the history lane. In a bid to provide better living conditions to these friendly and lovable canines, International Dog Day is celebrated every year on the 26th of August. The observance began as National Dog Day that later turned out to be of International acceptance. Undoubtedly, dogs are considered to be a man’s best friend. Their loyalty and love towards the owner can be hardly kept a secret. Hence, on this special day dedicated to doggos around the globe, let us appreciate all that they do for us. Subsequently, let us also create awareness amongst the lot in order to boost dog adoption.
Why is International Dog Day Celebrated ?
There are people around the earth, who admire and take care of dogs from the bottom of their hearts. These Canophiles never want to see a canine in distress or being ill-treated. Not only canophilistic people but anyone with a humane heart would not love to see such a scenario.
Back in 2004, a Dog lover and Animal advocate, Colleen Paige, began to observe National Dog Day on 26th August. Even though she chose this date to mark the day on which she adopted her first dog, it later held international importance. After the state of New York adopted this into the legislation, the National Dog Day was widely accepted. After gaining much international acceptance, it began to be known as International Dog Day. Since then, dog lovers across various countries in the world, commemorate and observe this special day with great zeal. Individuals, organizations and institutions join their hands together to celebrate this day in its true spirit and meaning.
- Raise awareness about the importance of rescuing dogs.
- Open dog rescue shelters and adoption centers.
- Rescue homeless and abused dogs.
- Reduce the mindset of people to turn over to pet stores to own a puppy.
- Encourage the adoption of dogs.
International Dog Day 2021 Date
Since 2004, countries and people across the globe who are bonded by their love for dogs, have marked the 26th day of August as International Dog Day. The day is celebrated with various programs and activities that help to raise awareness about the need for dog love and encourage dog adoption.
International Dog Day 2021 Date – 26th August , Thursday.
This year, the International Dog Day falls on Thursday. Check out the list to know about the upcoming year’s status.
Famous Quotes about Dogs
Since time immemorial, dogs have been a loyal companion to man. Hence, there are numerous meaningful and touchy quotes about the human-dog relationship. We have listed some of the beautiful ones here.
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” – Josh Billings
- “There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around.” – Dick Dale
- “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – John Grogan
- “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.” – Mark Twain
- “Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.” – Kinky Friedman
- “The dog lives for the day, the hour, even the moment.” – Robert Falcon Scott
- “Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” – Agnes Sligh Turnbull
- “Whoever said you can’t buy happiness forgot little puppies.” – Gene Hill
- “When the dog looks at you, the dog is not thinking what kind of a person you are. The dog is not judging you.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Dog is God spelled backward.” – Duane Chapman
- “Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen.”– Orhan Pamuk
- “Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong.” – W.R. Purche
- “Intelligent dogs rarely want to please people whom they do not respect.” – W.R. Koehler
- “Everything I know I learned from dogs.” – Nora Roberts
- “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” – M.K. Clinton
Doable Activities on International Dog Day
As the International Dog Day 2021 is soon approaching, here are some of the possible activities that will let you engage on this special day.
Visit and Volunteer at the local dog shelter
The best and most meaningful thing to do on this international Dog Day would be to visit the nearest dog shelter in the locality and come forward to volunteer for the organization.
Adopt a Dog
Now, if you love dogs and are confident enough to raise a pet without any glitches, go for adoption ! You are committing for a life full of love and happiness in your little furry friend. So be well aware and informed of all of the responsibilities of a Dog parent.
Time for a Gog Gear
In order to show your dog love to the world, get a new gear ! It can be a new cup, sofa cover, pillow or anything with the picture of your doggo friend on it. This is surely going to lighten up any grin day.
Even though there are many dog lovers around us, only a few actually intend to own a dog from a local shelter. Most of the other people resort to getting a pet from any pet store or through some other means. This is doing no good actually. When there are thousands of dogs waiting to be taken care of, why not give a home to one of them? So, make use of this day to spread awareness amongst the people in this cause.
Social Media Campaigns
As is the current trend, make maximum use of social media to spread the word about International Dog Day. Use your Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts for posting content with #dogday , #internationaldogday , #adoptdontshop , etc.
Notable Breeds of Dogs
In this section of the article, we will let our readers familiarize with some of the common and notable breeds of the furry friend of humans.
- Labrador Retrievers
- Golden Retrievers
- German Shepherd
- Yorkshire Terriers
- German Shorthaired Pointers
- Siberian Huskies
- Doberman Pinschers
- Alaskan Malamutes
- Lhasa Apsos
- Tibetan Terriers
Some Amazing Dog Facts
- Dogs can sniff and breathe at the same time.
- They have a sense of smell that is 40 times more than humans.
- Some dogs can sense medical conditions in humans.
- Out of the estimated 600 million dogs on earth, over 400 million are stray dogs.
- The Greyhound is the fastest of all the dog breeds.
- There are 18 muscles that control a dog’s ear.
- The Newfoundlands are regarded as the best dog breed that serves as guards.
- The Ancient Royal Pet breed of Egypt, known as Saluki, is the oldest breed of dogs.
- A dog has three eyelids.
- The best hunter out of all the dog breeds is the African hunter.
- Just like how unique a human fingerprint is, no two dog noses are the same!
- Every puppy is born deaf and blind.
- The sweat gland of a dog is located in its paw.
- When you pet a dog, it helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Bloodhounds have the keenest sense of smell among all the breeds of dogs.
- There are dogs that don’t bark! Yes , Basenjis don’t bark.
International Dog Day Vs National Dog Adoption Day
Unquestionably, International Dog Day and National Dog Adoption Day are not the same. While National Dog Adoption Day concentrates on making possible the doors of dog adoption more easier and accepted, the International Dog Day is a much wider context It involves rescue of dogs while also raising awareness on the importance of adoption.
How to Adopt a Dog?
As you make up your mind to be a full time dog mom or dog dad, ensure that the following things are taken care of.
- As there are different types and breeds of dogs, have an idea of what dog you wish to own. Decide if you want a puppy or a well-trained adult dog. When arriving at a conclusion keep in mind the lifestyle and the adaptability of the dog.
- The next step is to find a suitable dog shelter nearby that will help you to meet the requirements. There are dog shelters in all major cities of the country. Choose the one that is convenient to you.
- Make sure to develop a bond with the dog while at the adoption centre itself. Because your first impression will have a forever impact on the dog.
- Keep in hand all the necessary medical records related to the dog. Also, it will be great to do a medical check up before you bring your new canine partner home.
- Make sure to finish all the formalities at the dog shelter without any lay backs. Also, keep a copy of every record with you for any future use.
- When all is done, you are good to bring home your best friend for life!
Let us sum up
As the International Dog Day is just around the corner, let us take some time to admire and cherish these lovely furry babies. Just as some wise person once told, dogs are not our whole life, but they do make our lives whole! Give them the love they deserve and treasure them every time, every where! We wish a Happy International Dog Day to all our readers!