Table of Contents
A notice is a formal way of conveying information to a large audience. It can prove to be very useful if you know how to structure it well. It is written in order to inform a large number of people about something that has happened or is about to happen. It can be an upcoming event, competition, Lost, and found notice or just a piece of information to be delivered to the targeted audience. It is generally written in a formal tone.
Notices are factual and to-the-point. The language used is simple and formal. They are put up on display boards in schools or in public places.
What is notice writing?
Notice writing is a method of formal communication aimed at conveying news or a piece of information to a large audience.
They are an important mode of communication used in a wide range of settings, such as academic institutions, professional organizations, events, government announcements, etc.
Lately, notices have also become prevalent in the digital space. With the digitization of every institution, like schools, workplaces, colleges, government offices, and even newspapers, it has become very important to spread information online.
Regardless of all these changes, the format of formal notice writing has remained the same. But before we understand the format, let’s look at the different types of notice writing.
Different types of notice writing
A notice conveys a piece of information that is very specific to the organization or person giving out the notice. Hence, there are different types of notices which differ in tone, based on the information that is being conveyed. Here are some of the general types of notice writing you should know about-
1. Formal notice
A formal notice is used to convey official information in a clear and precise manner. Schools, companies, and websites issue formal notices to convey the latest information on a topic and to keep the concerned people informed.
2. Informal notice
An informal notice is used to convey personal information. This can include notices about a class meeting written on the class blackboard, an informal after office gathering notice passed around in an office, etc. It does not follow any particular format for writing and cannot be used for official purposes.
3. Invitation notice
An invitation notice is a formal method of inviting people over for a particular gathering or an event. This includes a structured and formal invitation for a public event, or a notice for private events like parties, marriages, or any other celebration. An invitation notice can also include invitations to customers on the behalf of a shop for events, like a sale.
4. Warning notice
You can issue a warning notice as an alert notification to an individual or a group. This may include a warning about a deadline, last-minute alerts, legal matters, etc.
5. Public notice
Public notices are notices issued by a government organization or a legislative body. They can share information about new government schemes, laws, or be general awareness notices issued by the government of a state or country.
Notice writing format
Things to include-
1. Name of organization
The name of the organization issuing the notice is the first thing that needs to be mentioned. This helps the reader identify the issuer of the notice.
The title for a formal notice needs to read ‘NOTICE,’ as it is a formal announcement notifying the readers.
It is very important to include a date in the top left corner of your notice. Notices are a formal piece of communication; thus it is vital to include a date of issuing. And make sure to mention the month in words so that there is no room for confusion.
The heading of a notice is like the subject line of a formal letter or an e-mail. It should notify the reader about the purpose of the notice while also not being too difficult or lengthy to read.
The body of the notice is its main part. It needs to communicate the intended information without the use of too many sentences. This is why it needs to be informative, precise, and exactly convey the message intended to be spread by the organization. Details like the time, place, and venue also need to be mentioned clearly if they are part of the notice being issued. It is important to remember that the body of the notice should be written in a passive voice without the use of first-person.
6. Name and designation of the issuer
A notice should end with the name and designation of the person issuing the notice on behalf of an organization.
Here is a clear idea of how a notice should look-
Name of Organisation/Institution
Date of Issue (Day Month Year)
Body of the notice. This includes important details like dates, venues, and timing for events. Any important messages that concern the readers and any new information.
Name of issuer/Signature
Notice writing important Tips
- Do not cross the word limit to avoid the penalty of marks. The prescribed word limit is 50 words.
- Repetition of any information should be avoided.
- Always enclose the notice in a box. Make sure you draw the box with a pencil.
- Keep your notice short, crisp and to-the-point.
- Highlight the word “NOTICE”. It can be either bold or underlined.
- The title should be captivating and eye-catching.
- Don’t make hypothetical information and facts. Make use of what’s given in the question.
- Make sure you do not mention your personal information.
- Make use of all the available information in the question.
- Your answer shall include answers to all the 5 W’s – What, Why, When, Where and Who.
- The purpose for which it is being written should be stated clearly.
- Focus on presentation and clarity.
Examples of how to write Notice
- You are Reema, head girl/boy of XYZ convent school. Your school is going to organize an inter-school singing competition. Write a notice for your school notice board inviting names of all the interested students.
XYZ CONVENT SCHOOL
INTER-SCHOOL SINGING COMPETITIONOur school is organising an Inter-school Singing Competition on March 19, 2019; Tuesday at 12pm in the school auditorium. More than 20 schools from all over the city will participate. Interested students may contact the undersigned latest by March 10, 2019.
- Water supply will be suspended for eight hours (10 am to 6 pm) on 6th of March for cleaning of the water tank. Write a notice in about 50 words advising the residents to store water for a day. You are Karan Kumar/Karuna Bajaj, Secretary, Janata Group Housing Society, Palam Vihar, Kurnool.
Janata Group Housing Society, Palam Vihar, Kurnool.
Why is it important to choose Entri?
- Excellent online platform for all the Competitive Exams.
- Provides updated materials created by the Entri Experts.
- Entri provides a best platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers.
- You can download the app for free and join the required classes.
- Entri wishes you all the best for your examinations and future endeavours.
“YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE GREAT TO START, BUT YOU HAVE TO START TO BE GREAT.”