Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from August 03 to 09, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 August 03 to 09
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week August 03 to 09, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2020
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One British Grand Prix 2020 held on August 02, 2020. He came first, despite a puncture during the last lap.
- Max Verstappen (Red bull) ended up second in this F1 race while Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) came third.
- This is the third win for Hamilton in this season of F1 races.
NASA Astronauts returns back safely
- Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley two US astronauts who were sent to the International Space Station two months ago return to the planet Earth safely follow
- The astronauts were sent by NASA in collaboration with Elon Musk’s company Space-X.
- On 30th May 2020 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying the company’s Crew Dragon spacecraft was launched from Launch Complex 39A at 3:22 PM.
“Bharat Air Fibre Services” inaugurated in Maharashtra
- “Bharat Air Fibre Services has been inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for HRD, Electronics, Communication, and IT, Govt Of India, Shri Sanjay Dhotre.
- The services were inaugurated at Akola in Maharashtra.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has introduced the Bharat Air Fibre services as part of digital India initiative by the Government of India.
Northern Railway runs the first-ever Vyapar Mala express train for small traders
- Northern Railway ran its first Vyapar Mela Express train from Kishanganj in Delhi bound for Jirania in Tripura.
- It will help small traders to move their cargo in short time, cost effective, convenient and environment-friendly mode of transportation.
- It will help the smaller traders to move their cargo in short time, cost effective, convenient and environment-friendly mode of transportation.
Uttarakhand to develop India’s first snow leopard conservation center in Uttarkashi forests
- Chief minister of Uttarakhand Trivendra Singh Rawat chaired a meeting along with State forest minister Harak Singh Rawat and other officials to look into the setting up of the conservation centre.
- The conservation centre is set to come up at a place named Lanka, near Bhaironghati bridge in Uttarkashi district.
- According to the World Wild Fund for Nature India (WWF), India is home to 450-500 snow leopards.
Kerala govt to set up petrol pumps at jail premises
- In Kerala, the prisoners will now work as employees in petrol pumps and take home a salary, as the Kerala government has rolled out petrol pumps from jail premises in association with Indian Oil Corporation.
- The outlets of Thiruvananthapuram, Viyyur and Cheemeni jails have started to function.
- The Indian Oil Corporation is investing around Rs 9.5 crore to set up four petrol pumps at the jail premises.
Nileswaram corporation to full pension status
- Nileshwaram Corporation to achieve full Social Security Pension status by providing Social Security Pension to all eligible persons.
- A total of 6668 persons are receiving pension from the Corporation including old age pension for 2908 persons, widow pension for 1964 persons, agricultural labor pension for 746 persons, disability pension for 544 persons, agricultural pension for 359 persons and unmarried pension for 147 persons.
- Under the scheme, the corporation disbursed `6.3 crore during the last financial year.
Mahatma Gandhi poised to become first non-white person to feature on British currency
- Mahatma is poised to become the first-ever nonwhite person to feature on the British currency.
- Royal Mint advisory is said to be working to mint a coin to commemorate the leader and hero of India’s freedom movement.
- Mahatma Gandhi, referred to as India’s ‘father of the nation’, advocated non-violence throughout his life and inspired the civil rights movement across the world. His birthday, which is on October 2, is observed as International Day of Non-Violence.
- Rishi Sunak, the British Finance Minister, has reportedly extended his support to a campaign for ethnic-minority figures to be featured on coins.
Reliance Industries ranks second biggest brand globally
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani owned oil-to-telecom conglomerate Reliance Industries has been ranked as the second biggest brand in the world in the FutureBrand Index 2020.
- The 2020 index is topped by technology giant Apple.
- Samsung is ranked third position.
- FutureBrand Index 2020 is the 6th edition of the annual brand.
India to host ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in 2021
- The International Cricket Council has confirmed that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 that was postponed due to Covid-19 will be held in Australia in 2022.
- India will host the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 as planned.
- ICC has also decided to postpone the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand till February-March 2022 because of the impact the Covid-19 pandemic has had on cricket globally.
- CEO of ICC: Manu Sawhney.
Jeevanam scheme to be extended across Kerala
- Jeevanam, a self-employment project for dependants of those killed in crime and those injured in such incidents, will be extended across the State.
- It is to support such people that the Social Justice Department has planned the Jeevanam project.
- Minister for Social Justice K.K. Shylaja inaugurated Jeevanam scheme through videoconferencing on 7th April 2020.
- Jeevanam is being piloted in Pathanamthitta district.
Girish Chandra Murmu appointed as new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India
- Jammu and Kashmir Lt Governor Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as the new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India.
- Murmu is the 14th CAG of India.
- He will replace Rajiv Mehrishi, a 1978 batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre, as the CAG.
78th anniversary of Quit India movement
- The 78th anniversary of the August Kranti Din or Quit India Movement, which is considered as one of the important milestones in the history of the freedom struggle of our country, is being observed on 8 August 2020.
- On 8 Aug 1942, Mahatma Gandhi gave a clarion call to end the British rule and launched the Quit India Movement at the session of the All-India Congress Committee in Mumbai.
- After the failure of Cripps Mission, Gandhiji gave the call to “Do or Die” in his Quit India speech delivered at the Gowalia Tank Maidan in Mumbai.
India to participate in Kavkaz 2020 exercise in Russia
- India will take part in the multilateral military “Russian Kavkaz 2020” strategic command-post exercise to be held in Astrakhan, Russia.
- The Indian contingent includes 150 Army personnel and a smaller number of personnel from the Navy and Air Force.
- The invitation for participation to Kavkaz 2020, also referred to as Caucasus-2020, has been extended to at least 18 countries including China, Iran, Pakistan and Turkey apart from other Central Asian Republics part of the SCO.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), or Shanghai Pact, is a Eurasian political, economic, and security alliance, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China.
Submarine Optical Fiber Cable between Chennai and Port Blair
- On August 10, 2020, PM Modi is to inaugurate a 2,300 km submarine Optical Fibre Cable that will connect Chennai and Port Blair.
- The submarine cable will also connect major islands in Andaman such as Havelock, Car Nicobar, Great Nicobar, Kamorta, Rangat, Little Andaman.
- The connectivity will provide faster and reliable mobile and telecom services to Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The foundation stone for the project was laid by the Prime Minister in 2018.
- The submarine OFC is to deliver a bandwidth of 2×200 Gigabits per second between Chennai and Port Blair.
- Also, it will deliver 2 x100 Gigabits per second bandwidth between Port Blair and other islands.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.