Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs sections. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from May 17 to 23, 2021 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 May 17 to 23
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week May 17 to 23, 2021 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Nuklu Phom of Nagaland Wins 2021 Whitley Awards
- Nagaland-based conservationist, Y. Nuklu Phom has won Whitley Awards 2021, also known as the Green Oscar.
- He is one among the six winners chosen for the prestigious “Whitley Awards 2021” and also the first Indian to win the honor.
- The £40,000 award is presented annually by a UK-based charity, the Whitley Fund for Nature (WFN), to provide funding, training, and support to grassroots conservation leaders in the Global South and put an international spotlight on winners’ work.
Iga Swiatek and Rafael Nadal win Italian Open 2021 (tennis)
- The Italian Open 2021 (tennis) has been completed now. The winners of the tournament are as under:
- Women’s singles- Iga Swiatek (Poland)
- Women’s doubles- Sharon Fichman (Canada) and Giuliana Olmos (Mexico)
- Men’s singles- Rafael Nadal (Spain)
- Men’s doubles- Nikola Mektić (Croatia) and Mate Pavić (Croatia)
Miss Universe 2020 title winner: Andrea Meza
- Andrea Meza of Mexico has won the Miss Universe 2020 beauty pageant.
- The 69th edition of the Miss Universe competition was held on May 16, 2021, in Florida, United States.
- 2019 Miss Universe winner Zozibini Tunzi of South Africa crowned Andrea Meza at the end of the event.
- The 26-year-old Andrea Meza is a software engineer by profession.
- From India, the 22-year-old Karnataka-based Castelino Adline made the country proud by making it to the fourth spot in the beauty pageant.
List of Runner-Ups
- 1st Runner-Up – Julia Gama (Brazil)
- 2nd Runner-Up – Janick Maceta (Peru)
- 3rd Runner-Up – Adline Castelino (India)
- 4th Runner-Up – Kimberly Jiménez (Dominican Republic)
Karnataka ranks first in executing Ayushman Bharat
- Karnataka has been ranked first in establishing Health and Wellness Centres under Ayushman Bharat Program to provide comprehensive primary health care in rural areas.
- Karnataka is leading in implementing the project for 2020-2021.
- While the Centre had set a target of establishing 2,263 centres, the State has upgraded 3,300 centres till March 31. With a score of 90 out of 95, the state ranks on top when it comes to the implementation of the project for the year 2020- 21 as per the health and family welfare department.
Barcelona Women beat Chelsea Women to win Women’s Champions League trophy
- Barcelona Women beat Chelsea Women to win the Women’s Champions League trophy.
- Chelsea conceded four goals in the first 36 minutes as Barcelona blew them away to win their first Women’s Champions League in Gothenburg.
- Barcelona is the first Spanish side to win the Women’s Champions League.
- Barcelona became the first club to win both the men’s and women’s Champions League, and this was the biggest ever winning margin in a women’s final.
China successfully launches new ocean observation satellite ‘Haiyang-2D’
- China successfully launched a new ocean-monitoring satellite Haiyang-2D (HY-2D) into orbit on May 19, 2021, on a Long March-4B rocket, from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China.
- The HY-2D will form a constellation with the HY-2B and HY-2C satellites to build an all-weather and round-the-clock dynamic ocean environment monitoring system of high frequency and medium and large scale to provide early warning on marine disasters.
- The constellation will support China in detecting early warning and prediction of marine disasters, sustainable development and utilisation of ocean resources, effective response to global climate change as well as ocean research.
The cyclone which will form in the Bay of Bengal
- The Regional Meteorological Department in Kolkata has predicted that a ‘super cyclone’ is likely to make landfall in Sundarban areas between May 23 and May 25 and possibly move towards Bangladesh.
- The Met department warned that the ferocity of the cyclonic storm ‘Yaas,’ named by Oman, might equal that of ‘Amphan’ that devastated Kolkata and adjoining areas on May 19 last year during the lockdown.
- Last year, Kolkata witnessed one of the most devastating cyclonic storms when ‘Amphan’ made landfall in the Sundarbans at a speed of nearly 260 kilometres per hour and went through the heart of the city, almost bringing all activity to a standstill for the next seven days.
Suresh Mukund becomes first Indian to win annual ‘World Choreography Award 2020′
- The Emmy Award-nominated Indian choreographer Suresh Mukund, has won the 10th Annual ‘World Choreography Award 2020’, (also known as Choreo Awards), becoming the first Indian to win the prestigious honor.
- Suresh Mukund won the award in the ‘TV REALITY SHOW/COMPETITION’ category, for his work on hit American TV reality show ‘World of Dance’.
- Mukund is the director and choreographer of the Indian dance crew ‘The Kings’, which won the 2019 season of World of Dance.
- The World Choreography Awards, famously known as the “Oscars of Dance”, takes place every year, in Los Angeles, to showcase the most innovative and original works by the world’s best choreographers featured in television, film, commercials, digital content, and music videos.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.