Are you preparing for any competitive exams like PSC, SSC, RRB or Banking? Then it is important to stay updated and aware of the daily news happening around the world. Current affair is an important topic coming on all competitive exams like Kerala PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc. Aspirants should learn current affairs on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. In this article, you will find current affairs happened from March 16 to March 22,2019.
Kazakhstan to rename country’s capital Astana as Nursultan
- Kazakhstan’s parliament voted to rename the country’s capital Astana as Nursultan.
- It will be renamed in honour of longtime ruler Nursultan Nazarbayev a day after he resigned as president.
- Kazakhstan’s new interim president Kassym-Jomart Tokayev proposed renaming the capital.Astana replaced Kazakhstan’s largest city Almaty as the capital in 1997.
‘Special Stamp Cover on Ice Stupas’ released by Department of Post
- PD. Tshering,Chief Postmaster General, Jammu & Kashmir Circle, released a ‘Special Stamp Cover on Ice Stupa’ by the Department of Post, Government of India during a function organised at the Ice Stupa site at Gangles in Leh.
- Ice Stupa team of Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL) with support from Leh-Phodo society and Army, has built an Ice Stupa at Gangles with an aim to reduce shortage of water in Leh.
Raghu Karnad awarded Windham-Campbell prize in the UK for his debut book
- Indian journalist, author and chief of The Wire, ‘Raghu Karnad’ received the prestigious Windham-Campbell prize of USD 165,000 for his debut book, ‘Farthest Field: An Indian story of Second World War’, published in the year 2015 in non-fiction category.
- The award was given by Yale University in the United Kingdom to 8 recipients of English language writers from around the world.
Global Recycling Day 2019 observed on 18th March
- Global Recycling Day is held on 18th March every year, with an aim to change the mindset of governments, businesses, communities and individuals around the world, to see recyclables as resource – not waste.The theme for Global Recycling Day 2019 was “Recycling into the Future”.
- It was created in 2018 to help recognize, and celebrate, the importance recycling plays in preserving our precious primary resources and securing the future of our planet.
Ex-Supreme Court judge Justice PC Ghose named as India’s first Lokpal
- 66-year old Former Supreme Court judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose appointed as the country’s first Lokpal or the anti-corruption ombudsman,by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- He is serving as a member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) since June 29, 2017.
- Former Chief Justices Dilip B. Bhosale, Pradip Kumar Mohanty, and Abhilasha Kumari and current Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court Ajay Kumar Tripathi have been appointed as judicial members under the Lokpal.
Mumbai social worker Gauri Sawant has been designated as first transgender election ambassador
- 38-year-old transgender activist ShreeGauri Sawant from Mumbai has been appointed as first transgender election ambassador by The Election Commission of India.
- There was no separate classification of transgenders as voters till 2014 but after that transgenders were first enrolled as voters along with males and females.
- The highest enrolment of transgenders (324) is in Mumbai North Lok Sabha constituency.
2019 Templeton Prize won by Brazilian astronomer Marcelo Gleiser
- On 19th March 2019, Brazilian physicist and astronomer Marcelo Gleiser won the 2019 Templeton Prize, worth $1.4m (Rupees 9,61,20,500), for combining science and spirituality in his work.
- He is the first Latin American to win the award, which is given for exceptional contribution for directing life’s spiritual dimension.
- The prize started by late global investor Sir John Templeton in 1972.
India’s first forest certification scheme SFM gets global recognition
- On 22nd March 2019, the forest certification scheme ‘Certification Standard for Sustainable Forest Management (SFM)’ developed by the Network for Certification and Conservation of Forest (NCCF) got global recognition by a Geneva based non-profit firm.
- Forest certification is a market based conservation tool which is designed to promote sustainable management of trees outside forest by an independent third party.
Microsoft able to translate digital information into DNA
- On 22nd March 2018, Microsoft developed a storage device in partnership with the University of Washington that can translate digital information into DNA.
- The software used in the system converts the 1’s and 0’s of digital data into DNA sequence (A’s, T’s, C’s and G’s) and stored it as a liquid.
- The device converted the word ‘Hello’ into DNA which took 21 hours.
SpiceJet becomes first Indian low-cost airline to join IATA
- SpiceJet has joined global airlines’ grouping International Air Transport Association (IATA) as a member, becoming the first Indian low-cost carrier to get the membership.
- The IATA represents more than 290 airlines, including Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara.
- The IATA membership is significant on account of SpiceJet’s plans for rapidly expanding its international footprint.
- SpiceJet is the first Indian low-cost carrier to be an IATA member and fifth member of IATA in India.
Download Entri App for attempting daily current affair quiz
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.
Entri wishes all the candidates the very best for the upcoming examination!