Table of Contents
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) functions as a constitutional body that enables the state government in matters related to recruitment, transfers, and disciplinary actions. TNPSC takes recruitment exams (competitive, departmental) to decide qualifying candidates for various vacancies within the state administration. The Combined Civil Services Examination I which is positioned by the TNPSC functions as the gateway for Group 1 Services in Tamil Nadu.
The Best Exam Group in TNPSC Exam
TNPSC Group I is considered as the topmost examination performed by the commission to recruit candidates for the higher posts in the state Government of Tamil Nadu. TNPSC Group 1 is a recruitment exam executed by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC). The TNPSC conducts different recruitment exams for Group 1, 2, 3, and 4 vacancies in the Tamil Nadu state administration.
In this article, you will discover complete details of the TNPSC Group 1 Exam which is the topmost examination performed by the Commission.
TNPSC Group 1 Exam – Important Details
The important details about Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) are mentioned in the table below:
|What is the name of the exam?||TNPSC Combined Civil Services Examination- I (Group – I Services)|
|Who is the conducting body?||Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC)|
|What is the pattern of the exam?||TNPSC Group 1 exam takes place in three stages:
1. Prelims – one objective paper – 300 marks
2. Mains – three descriptive papers – 750 marks total
3. Interview – 100 marks
TNPSC Group 1 Exam Stages
The Combined Civil Services Examination I is carried out by TNPSC to appoint candidates for Group 1 vacancies in the Tamil Nadu state administration. This exam is also directed to TNPSC Group 1. Three stages of the TNPSC exam contain:
TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern
The below-mentioned exam pattern is the same for all Group 1 services within the Tamil Nadu state administration. Candidates can apply for various posts such as Assistant Commissioner, Deputy Collector, Deputy Superintendent of Police, District Officer, etc. whose appointment will be accomplished based on the TNPSC Group I exam.
The beginning stage of the TNPSC Group 1 exam is the Prelims, which functions as a screening test and the qualifying candidates will be permitted to appear for the Mains.
TNPSC Group 1 Prelims
The exam pattern for the Prelims Exam is mentioned below:
|Name of Exam||Combined Civil Services – I (Prelims exam)|
|Number of Papers||One|
|Number of Questions||200|
|Nature of Questions||Objective Type (MCQs)|
|Subjects/Syllabus||General Studies – will have 175 questions Aptitude & Mental Ability – a total of 25 questions will be asked|
|Minimum Marks needed to qualify||OC: 120; another open category: 90|
Key highlights of TNPSC (prelims)
- The test will contain multiple-choice questions.
- Total questions asked in General Studies will be 150 marks.
- The pre-exam will have a total of 150 questions.
The syllabus for the prelims exam is given below:
- The economy of the country
- Indian National Movement
- General Science
- Current Events
- History and Indian Culture
- Aptitude and Mental Ability Tests & Logical Reasoning
Out of the total candidates who seemed for the Prelims exam, TNPSC shortlists candidates in the imprecise ratio of 1:50 for the Mains exam.
TNPSC Group 1 Mains
According to the latest TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern for the Mains, three descriptive-type papers holding a total weightage of 750 marks will come.
The Mains Exam Pattern
|Name of Exam||Combined Civil Services – I
Group -1 Services Main Written Examination
|Number of Papers||Three (General Studies, Aptitude Test, General Tamil/General English)|
|Total Marks||Paper 1, 2 and 3 – 250 marks (each); total marks (750)
Interview (100 marks) = Total marks 850
|Nature of Questions||Descriptive-Type|
|Minimum Marks required||OC: 340|
|Duration||3 hours for each paper|
The entire syllabus of the TNPSC Group 1 Mains Exam is mentioned below:
|Paper 1||Paper 2||Paper 3|
|Modern Indian History and Indian Culture
Social Issues – India and Tamil Nadu
|Indian Politics, growing Political Trends across the globe that affects India
Science and Technology’s role and impact in the Indian development
Tamil Society – Culture and Heritage
|Indian Geography, more special reference will be given to Tamil Nadu state
Latest trends in the Indian economy and the Impact of the global economy on India
- Mains exam will be descriptive.
- Distinct question papers will be there.
- The maximum weightage for each question paper will be 100 marks.
- The time allotted to complete each question paper is 3 hours.
- The applicants will get a chance to write an exam in either Tamil or English.
An Oral Test/Interview holding 100 marks will be conducted by a TNPSC board aimed at checking a candidate’s appropriateness for a career in administration.
Detailed syllabus of Prelims
- Zoology: Health and hygiene, Blood and Blood Circulation, Environment, Plants and Human life, Reproductive system, Communicable diseases, Animal, Ecology, Human diseases, Prevention & remedies
- Botany: Main concepts of life science, Classification of living organisms, Respiration, Nutrition, and dietetics
- Chemistry: Acids, bases & salts, Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, Elements, and compounds
- Physics: Electronics, Nature of the universe, Magnetism, electricity, Mechanics, and properties of matter, force, motion and energy, heat, light & sound
- Public awareness and General administration
- Economics – Current socio-economic problems
- Geography – Geographical landmarks
- Political Science
- Political parties and political system in India
- Problems in conduct of public elections
- Welfare oriented government schemes and their utility
- National symbols
- Awards and honors
- Profile of states
- Eminent persons and places in the news
- Sports and games
- Books and authors
- Latest diary of events
- India and its neighbors
- Earth and universe
- Rivers in India
- Solar system
- Weather and climate
- Water resources
- Soil, minerals, and natural resources
- Forest and wildlife
- Agricultural pattern
- Transport including surface transport and communication
- Social geography
- Population density and distribution
- Natural calamities, etc.
- The preamble to the constitution
- Salient features of the constitution
- Constitution of India
- Human rights charter
- Union legislature
- Fundamental rights
- Fundamental duties
- Rule of law, etc.
- Nature of Indian Economy
- Five-year plan
- Land reform and agriculture
- Industrial growth
- Rural welfare oriented programs
- Social sector problem
- Population, education, health, employment, poverty
- Economic trends in Tamil Nadu
- The candidate appearing for the TNPSC exams must be an Indian citizen.
- Must be a graduate and have acquired an equivalent three years’ degree from an authorized institute.
- Candidates must be at least 20 years for Tamil Nadu Civil Services Exam 2022
Candidates must fulfill TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2022
The TNPSC Group 1 2022 notification will be declared soon, for the different posts. Pots like Assistant Commissioner, Deputy Collector, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Societies, Assistant Director of Rural Development and District Officer, etc. were declared.
Curious candidates must check TNPSC Group 1 selection process and exam pattern 2022 before involving.
Here are the components of the TNPSC Group 1 Examination which is regarded as the best examination in the TNPSC Groups. You can grab more details on TNPSC Exams through our ENTRI Learning App.