Table of Contents
You can apply for a German student visa if you’re a foreigner and have received a letter of complete admission for studying at a German university. Depending on the country you come from, you might be exempt from needing a visa to study in Germany, but you are still required to obtain a residence permit for studies lasting more than 90 days, once you arrive in Germany.A German student visa can be granted to you if you’re expecting to attend any of the following study types:
- Full-time academic studies.
- German language courses for studies.
- State preparatory college ‘Studienkolleg’.
- Propaedeutic course
- Mandatory preliminary internship.
The studies you can do with a German student visa are either full-time university studies or preparatory measures before such studies, i.e. Foundation course.
In this article, we have mentioned the list of documents required to apply for German student visa. Applicants have to ensure that they have all the required documents. Failure to present these will lead to rejection of visa.
Types of German Study Visas
- German Student Visa- This is the standard student visa for international students who have been admitted to one of the official universities in Germany and are ready to start their studies in a university program in Germany.
- German Student Applicant Visa- You will need this visa if you want to apply for university admission in person. This visa doesn’t allow you to study in Germany, it’s only valid for the university application process.
- German Language Course Visa- You need this type of visa to study for a German language course in Germany.
German A2 Exercises – Download Free PDF
German Student Visa Requirements
In order to obtain a German student visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Two duly filled out and signed national visa forms.
- Your valid national passport.
- Two photocopies of your passport (A4 size copy)
- Birth certificate.
- Marriage certificate (if married).
- Child’s certificate (if you have children).
- 3 passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months
- Certificates of all academic qualifications you have previously obtained (original and 2 copies)
- Photocopies of previous German residence titles. (If you have been to Germany before).
- Previous Schengen Visa. (if applicable)
- Previous Resident Permit. (if applicable)
- Visa fee of 75 € payable in INR only
- Curriculum vitae -It has to be accompanied with evidence of previous and current internship and work experiences if any.
- Proof of Financial Resources. In order to get German student visa, you should meet the financial requirements. Applicants should have one of the following:
- Blocked Bank Account – You can open a blocked bank account online through Expatrio, accepted by German Embassies and Consulates throughout the world.
- Letter of commitment – You can get this from a person living in Germany who shows they will be covering your accommodation or other living costs.
- Letter of declaration – Through this, your parents show they will be providing you with financial support during your stay.
- Scholarship certificate – If you have a scholarship award, the certificate should show what the scholarship will cover and that you are the receiver of that financial coverage.
|German Language Courses
|German Language A1 Course Online Coaching
|German Language A2 Course
|German Language B1 Course online Coaching
|German Language B2 Course Online Coaching
- Proof of Admission (it can be one of the following)
- University admission letter “Zulassungsbescheinigung”.
- Letter of admission in a foundation course issued by a Studienkolleg.
- Letter of admission in the propaedeutic course.
- Letter of admission in a preparatory German language course.
- Original certificates of previous education: Original school-leaving certificate and degree certificate. (If you’re entering Master or PhD studies).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of purpose /Motivation Letter – You have to explain why you chose this degree programme as well as your future plans.
- Certificate issued by the APS (Academic Evaluation Centre) – please consult www.aps-india.de
- Travel Health Insurance – It must have at least 30,000 EUR coverage, and it must be valid for at least 3 months.
- Proof you have paid the visa application fee.
- Proof of German language proficiency. (For German or mixed-language programmes).
- Proof of English language proficiency. (For English or mixed-language programmes).
Please prepare two identical application sets with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original certificates along. Please DO NOT staple any documents.
Note: The German Embassies and Consulates reserve the right to ask for additional documents or the verification of certificates.
How to Apply for German Student Visa?
- Go to the German Embassy or Consulate in your country. Locate the German Embassy in your country and go there to submit your application. You should go there and ask for more information on the application process and set up an appointment.
If there is no German Embassy in your country, then go to the German Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country or application centre to which the German authorities have outsourced the visa applications.
- Review all the required documents. Before you go to your appointment, make sure you have all the documents ready. You can find specific document requirements for your country on the official websites of German Embassies.
- Prepare for the visa interview. Make sure you prepare for the German student visa interview by looking up common interview questions online. In addition, you should have the visa application fee payment confirmation with you at the time of the interview.
Validity of Student Visa
A German student visa, will let you remain in Germany for the first 3 months. Within this period, you’ll have to apply for a residence permit to study. The maximum period you’ll receive through such a residence permit is two years. You can also extend the residence permit, depending on the length of your studies.
Why Choose Entri?
Moving to Germany can be a good opportunity for those looking for a new start in their life. With Germany ranking as one of the top countries for expats, it’s no wonder that so many people consider it to be their ideal destination. Fortunately, Entri App makes it easier than ever to make the move to Germany and settle there.
Entri collaborates with the leading German language training institute, Lanstitut, to improve your language skills. The app provides various services, including visa and immigration advice, suitable or interesting courses, advice on finding a place to settle, etc. It offers a network of international professionals you can connect with to get insider tips. Moreover, Entri can provide support for language courses and language exchange programs. They also ensure that you are following all of the essential procedures to ensure that you are properly registered and have all of the necessary papers. With Entri App, you can make your moving process to Germany stress-free.
|German A1 Exam
|German A2 Exam
|German B1 Exam
|German B2 Exam
|German Language Exams
|German Permanent Residence Permit Requirements
|German Language Course in Different Cities
|German Language Course in Trivandrum
|German Language Course in Thrissur
|German Language Course in Kottayam
|German Language Course in Kochi
|German Language Course in Calicut