“Chess is the gymnasium of the mind.” as quoted by Blaise Pascal, definitely chess plays a major role in providing exercise to the mind. During the times of stress and worries, games help one to relax and find mental peace. Games are more of an art wherein your mind gets to play beautifully at the same time it creates impacts too. Chess is one of the most ancient, intellectual and cultural games, wherein you can witness a combination of sport, scientific thinking and most importantly the elements of art. It brings people together irrespective of all racial, gender, economic and political differences. Unlike before , now we can see more number of people engaging themselves by playing the game of chess. The International Chess Day is celebrated on July 20 every year and the day marks the foundation of the International Chess Federation (FIDE). Let us check this article and read more about the International chess day 2021 – History, Facts, Quotes. The article also includes the ways to celebrate chess day by listing the chess day activities.
International Chess Day 2021 – Tuesday, 20 July
National chess day 2021 date falls on July 20, 2021. This article helps the readers to obtain knowledge about the following
- International chess day history and origin
- What is FIDE
- International chess day activities
- Facts about international chess day
- International chess day quotes
- Top rated Indian chess players
International Chess Day Origin and History 2021
Chess was originated in India during the Gupta period and was well known as “chaturanga”. It was one of the oldest game. Later this game spread to Persia. In Persia chess became a major part of Muslim population and from there it spread to Southern Europe. And later on the game chess became most popular. Further modification like timing and rules was introduced in 1861. Today we can find over 2,000 identifiable variants of the game.
As Modern Chess is believed to have been derived from how it came from the past as Chaturanga , It actually means ‘four divisions’. This four divisions can either refer to the divisions of the playing pieces into infantry, cavalry, elephantry and chariotry which now became the pawn, knight, bishop and rook, or the four divisions can also refer to the fact that the game was played by four players. Chatrang was the name given when originated which later became Shatranj when it arrived in Sassanid Persia around 600 CE.
On July 20, 1924 at eight summer Olympic games in France, Paris the FIDE (world chess federation) was introduced. International Chess Day or Global Chess Day is celebrated annually to acknowledge the FIDE (world chess foundation). While, world chess day was noticed since 1966, to celebrate July 20th as International chess day was proposed by UNESCO. The UN general assembly, on 12th December 2019 announced July 20 as International chess day. And since 1966, July 20 was celebrated as International chess day all around the world including 605 millions of consistent chess players.
- The foremost purpose of the global chess day is to concede about the international chess federation. The federation supports the international co-operation for running chess activity. Its intention is to improve friendly environment among people over the globe.
- Chess is one of the earliest game which contributes of sports, art, creative and scientific thinking. As we know sports plays a great role in humans life, which enhances mental health and helps in reducing stress.
What is FIDE ?
- FIDE (world chess federation) is an international organization form in Switzerland which connects with other national chess federation and plays a role in controlling international chess competition.
- FIDE was first grounded in Paris, France.
- FIDE was accepted by IOC (international Olympic committee) in year 1999 as world sporting organization.
- FIDE is recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the supreme body responsible for the organization of chess and its championships at global and continental levels.
- The motto of FIDE is Gens una sumus, in latin which means “We are one people”.
- There are 195 member federations of FIDE as of September 2020.
- In July 2018, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was selected ad the president of FIDE.
- FIDE organizes world championships for women, juniors, seniors, and the disabled thus providing opportunity for everyone.
- FIDE organizes the World Team Championship, in which the best teams from the previous Olympiad compete.
International Chess Day Activities 2021
Try out these activities along with the planning to celebrate international chess day.
1. Learn or Let know others to play chess
Make use of this good time to share your knowledge about chess to your friends. The primary task is to get with a perfect chess mate to play game. Seek help of others out there to learn how to play, as lots of computer program games and lessons are introduced now. Try for one to boost your skills.
2. Share a post on social media
As social media is one of the widely used platform. Go live and share your best experience about international chess day.
3. Cook some cookies for the day
Have fun by preparing chess shaped cookies. Bake some cakes having sand decorations of chess board to your chess lovers.
4. Join a chess club
Chess is a most popular game. Various chess clubs has been organized in every cities join and be a part of it. Online clubs are also made available nowadays. it will be even more satisfying when you connect with people who have same heed. Celebrate this world chess day by joining club pages.
5. Organize a quiz competition about international chess day
For having more fun and to make day more purposeful, organize a quiz competition among friends and families. where it also benefits in gaining more information and knowledge about international chess day.
6. Watch live 2021 FIDE World Cup
A milestone, 2021 FIDE world cup is going to be held on this International chess day. On this day you can gather with family and friends to watch the game and witness the beauty of it.
7. Schools and organisations can include chess as an indoor game.
Schools can provide training to the students on learning about the game. schools can promote students to try playing the game and help them build interest in the same. It helps more to improve the concentration skills and cognitive skills of the students. Hence it will be more beneficial to students if introduced at school
8. Organize a small family gathering and play together
Definitely this game helps in bringing together people. Hence on this World chess day bring together members of your family and organise a small competition thus bringing together the healthy relationship between the members too.
9. Conduct Training sessions
For those who are skilled in this game can conduct sessions online and help others learn the game too. Check around conduct a survey and find out the interest circle and then schedule training sessions to help the young minds master the game of chess.
Click here for National Moon day activities
Facts about International Chess Day 2021
Read below few facts about chess
- Possible longest move in chess game is 5,949
- Did you know? Chess is also called “game of king” in the past as it was only played by kings
- The first computer program game was invented by Alan Turing in 1951
- 122 million moves are possible for knight on a chess board
- The foldable chess board was first introduced in 1125
- Over 2000 identifiable versions are in chess
- Did you know? The match on 1959 in Russia became so violent as chess is banned in Russian Antarctic stations.
- The folding chessboard was invented by a priest who was forbidden to play chess. The priest found out a way by designing a folding chessboard.
- The word “Checkmate” in Chess comes from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which means”the King is helpless.”
International Chess Day 2021 Quotes
The following are few International Chess day quotes
- “I have come to the personal conclusion that while all artists are not chess players, all chess players are artists” – Marcel Duchamp
- “Chess is a war over the board ,the object is to crush the opponent’s mind”-Bobby Fischer
- “For in the idea of chess and development of the chess mind we have a picture of intellectual struggle of mankind” – Richard Ret
- “Chess is struggle against error” – Johannes Zukertort
- “Those who say they understand chess, understand nothing” – Robert Hubner
- “Every chess master was once beginner” – Irving Chernev
- “I am convinced, the way one plays chess always reflects the player’s personality. If something defines his character, then it will also define his way of playing.” – Vladimir Kramnik
- “Chess teaches you to control the initial excitement you feel when you see something that looks good and it trains you to think objectively when you’re in trouble”. -Stanley Kubrick
- “The beauty of chess is it can be whatever you want it to be. It transcends language, age, race, religion, politics, gender and socioeconomic background. Whatever your circumstances, anyone can enjoy a good fight to the death over the chess board.” – Simon Williams
- “Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy.” – Siegbert Tarrasch
Check here for world elder abuse awareness day quotes
Top Rated Indian Chess Players
Tabulated below are the top rated Indian Chess players.
|Viswananthan Anand(GM)||December 11, 1969 Tamil Nadu||2779||1|
|Pentala Harikrishna(GM)||May 10, 1986
|Vidit Gujrathi(GM)||October 24, 1994
|Baskaran Adhiban(GM)||August 15, 1992
|Krishnan Sasikian(GM)||January 7, 1981
|Parimarjan Negi(GM)||February 9, 1993
|February 25, 1993
|Surya Sekhar Ganguly(GM)||February 24, 1983
|Koneru Humpy(GM)||March 31, 1987
|Dronavalli Harika(GM)||January 12, 1991
|Soumya Swaminathan(WGM)||March 21, 1989
|Tania Sachdev(IM)||August 20, 1986
|Eesha Karavade(IM)||November 21, 1987 India||2357||5|
|Padmini Rout (IM)||January 5, 1994
Now a days we get to see that most of the youngsters are engaged in video games. Yes it may be be beneficial to some extent or not but we need to keep in mind that exposure to screen for long hours in equally injurious. Hence let us introduce indoor games to young children when they grow up. Chess is beneficial in every possible way. It helps in improving the imaginative skills, the cognitive skills and emphasizes on the beauty of art. It also involves members to form a team physically hence the social skills also can be increased. Why do we have to think about skip learning this major of a game when its benefits are numerous. Promote the value of the game chess and involve in it more often than before.
Discussion about this post