India is the second-most populous and the seventh-largest country by area in the world. India consists of 28 states and 8 union territories. The states and union territories are further subdivided into districts and smaller administrative divisions. Rajasthan is the largest Indian state in terms of the area. In this article we will discuss about the 10 largest states of India in terms of area. Having Knowledge on these topics will help in your competitive exams conducted in India.
List of States of India rank-wise in Terms of Area
India’s 10 largest states in terms of area along with few important facts are given below. These topics are usually asked in the competitive exams in India. Having good knowledge about India will benefit aspirants in exam preparation.
- Capital of Rajasthan is Jaipur.
- Rajasthan is the largest state in India and seventh largest by population.
- The state covers an area of 342,239 km2.
- Rajasthan was formed on 30 March 1949.
- Official language of Rajasthan is Rajasthani, Hindi.
- State Animal of Rajasthan is Chinkara.
- Great Indian Bustard is the State Bird of Rajasthan.
- Rajasthan is known as the ‘Land of palaces and fort’s’.
- Rajasthan is the first state to introduce Panchayat Raj System.
2. Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh is the second largest state of India and fifth largest state by population
- The state covers an area of 308,252 km2.
- Bhopal is the capital city of Madhya Pradesh.
- Official language of Madhya Pradesh is Hindi
- Barasingha is the State Animal of Madhya Pradesh.
- State Bird of Madhya Pradesh is Indian paradise flycatcher.
- Madhya Pradesh is known as the ‘Tiger State of India’.
- It is the third-largest state by area and second-most populous state of India.
- State is spread over an area of 307,713 km2.
- Maharashtra was formed on 1 May, 1960 .
- The Godavari and the Krishna are the two major rivers in the state.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites of the Ajanta and Ellora caves are in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra is the most industrialized state in India while state capital Mumbai is India’s financial and commercial capital.
- Maharashtra is known as the Power house of India.
- Official language of Maharashtra is Marathi.
- Indian Giant Squirrel is the state animal and yellow footed green pigeon is the state bird of Maharashtra.
4. Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh is a state in northern India spread over an area of 243,290 km2
- it is the fourth largest and also the most populous state in India
- Uttar Pradesh was formed on January 24, 1950.
- Official language of Uttar Pradesh are Hindi and Urdu.
- Barasingha is the state animal and Sarus Cane is the state bird of Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh is the leading producer of wheat, Sugar cane, Oil seeds etc.
- It is the fifth largest Indian state by area and the ninth largest state by population.
- Gujarat state was formed on 01 May, 1960 and is spread over an area of 196,024 km2
- Capital of Gujarat is Gandhinagar.
- Gujarat is known as land of Epics.
- Official language of Gujarat is Gujarati.
- Asiatic lion is the state animal and Greater Flamingo is the state bird of Uttar Pradesh.
- Gurjaram is the old name of Gujarat.
- Gujarat is the leading producer of Salt,Cotton, Vegetable Oil etc.
- The capital and largest city of Karnataka is Bengaluru.
- It was formed on 1 November 1956.
- The state covers an area of 191,976 Km
- Karnataka is the eighth largest state by population.
- Mysore was the old name of Karnataka.
- Kannada, one of the classical languages of India, is the official language of Karnataka state.
- State animal is Elephant and Indian roller is the state bird of Karnataka
7. Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh was formerly known as Andhra State,
- State is spread over an area of 162,975 km2.
- Andhra Pradesh is the tenth-most populous state of India.
- Amaravati is the capital of Andhra Pradesh.
- It is the first state to be formed with linguistic basis in India and was established in 1st October, 1953.
- The state is known for its mining industry.
- Andhra Pradesh is the major producer of rice in India. Hence, it is known as the “Rice Bowlof India”.
- Official language is Telugu. Which is the third most spoken language in Indiaand 11th most spoken language in the world.
- State animal is Blackbuck and Indian roller is the state bird of Andhra Pradesh.
- Odisha was formerly called as Orissa.
- The state has the third largest population of Scheduled Tribes in India.
- It is the 8th largest state by area and the 11th largest by population in India.
- It was established on 1st of April, 1936.
- Bhubaneswar is the capital of Odisha.
- Oriya (Odia) is the Official Language of Odisha.
- State animal is Sambar deer and Indian roller is the state bird of Odisha.
- Chhattisgarh is the ninth-largest state in India, with an area of 135,192 km2.
- The state was formed on 1 November, 2000.
- It is a resource-rich state of India
- Chhattisgarh is the main source of electricity and steel for the country.
- Official language of Chhattisgarh is Hindi.
- Official Animal is Wild water buffalo.
- Official bird is Common Hill Myna.
10. Tamil Nadu
- The capital and largest city of Tamil Nadu is
- State is spread over an area covering 30,058 km2.
- Modern-day Tamil Nadu was formed in 1956 after the reorganization of states on linguistic lines.
- The state is home to a number of historic buildings, multi-religious pilgrimage sites, hill stations and three World Heritage sites.
- Tamil Nadu is the tenth largest Indian state by areaand the sixth largest by population.
- Its official language is Tamil, which is one of the longest-surviving classical languagesin the world.
- Common Emerald dove state bird of Tamil Nadu.
- Nilgiri Tahr is the state animal of Tamil Nadu.
How you can use Entri app for your exam preparation:
- Entri provides an online platform to help you prepare for competitive exams.
- Download for free of cost and get access to video classes, exams and study cards with a single subscription fee.
- You can access full length mock tests and previous year question papers.
Hope you have benefited from this article. Check us for further details. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming exams.