Table of Contents
International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on the observation of Mother’s Day in India, date, history, celebration and Significance. Mother’s day in India is celebrated on the second Sunday of the month of May. This year 2023 mother’s day in India is celebrated on May 14, Sunday.
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- History of Mother’s day
- Mother’s day celebrations and activities
- Famous mothers in history and across the world
- Mother’s Day Quiz
History of Mother’s Day
- Writer Julia Ward Howe is credited with first thinking of the idea of Mother’s Day in 1872.
- However, an activist in West Virgina, Anna Jarvis came up with the model of Mother’s Day that is celebrated today.
- The first Mother’s Day in the U.S. was a church service held on May 10, 1908 at Anna’s request to honor her mother. Congress officially declared the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day- May 8, 1914.
- Mother’s Day can be traced to ancient times when spring festivals included tributes to goddesses. Therefore, some people treat Mother’s Day as ‘pagan’ tradition. However, almost all countries have some sort of Mother’s Day Celebrations. While many countries celebrate on the same day as the United States, each country follows their own traditions.
- Different countries celebrate mother’s day on different dates.
- In India it is observed on the second Sunday of May every year, in honour of motherhood and to pay tribute to mothers all around the world.
- The countries that celebrate mother’s day on the second Sunday in May are USA, Canada, most European countries, Australia, New Zealand, India, China, Japan, the Philippines and South Africa.
- UK and Ireland, which celebrate Mother’s Day on the fourth Sunday in Lent.
- Most Arab countries celebrate Mother’s Day on March 21st (vernal equinox).
- Most East European countries celebrate Mother’s Day on March 8th
Mother’s Day Celebrations and Activities 2023
Mother’s Day is observed on numerous days around the world, with presents being given to mothers and mother figures. It’s more about sending cards, flowers, and jewelry, as well as going to meals and giving vacations as gifts. Although giving our mothers gifts as a token of appreciation for their unquestionably selfless love is admirable, some critics believe that this has resulted in the commercialization of the day, with the true meaning of the occasion becoming suppressed and lost. It’s more important to convey our gratitude than to give tangible things on Mother’s Day.
It is critical for the advancement and sustainability of human society that we honor our moms by carrying out our obligations to them in truth rather than creating a facade. Mothers give birth and raise their children out of pure love and affection, and they are entitled to the same from their children as they mature into responsible adults. Women who are mothers or mother figures like receiving cards, flowers, chocolates, and other gifts, but they would be even happy if they were also loved, cared for, and recognized for their unselfish efforts.
If we observe the concept of Mother’s Day in depth, we will discover, as many others have, that every day should be a Mother’s Day. They are unwavering in their commitment to assuring and working for the well-being of their children, day in and day out, without fail and without interruption. As a result, we as children must be more attentive to this truth and appreciative for it at all times, thanking them for the sacrifices they have made for us.
- Organizing mother’s day card making competition for students
- Organize best memories with mother essay competition for students
- Organize poem telling or elocution competition with topic my mother for students
- Arrange an activity for mothers at school- cooking without fire with mother
- Take sessions on importance of respecting mothers
- Spend a day together with mother
- Give her a day off
- Send her a video of family photos with her in happy and smiling
- If away from her now, organize a virtual party online
- Communicate with her, talk to her, value her and appreciate her
Traditional Gifts for mother’s day
- Flowering shrub
- Home décor item
- A letter expressing gratitude
Famous Mothers in History and Across the World
- Marie Curie-known as the “Mother of Modern Physics,” was twice a Nobel Prize winner (in different fields). Her daughter Irene also was awarded a Nobel Prize, sharing it with her mother.
- Olympias-mother of Alexander the Great, was also known as an ambitious and violent ruler.
- Mother Teresa-won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work as part of an order of nuns serving in Calcutta.
- Abigail Adams-was married to one US president and was also the mother of a president. She managed the family’s business when her husband was overseas.
- Michelle Obama-mother of two girls, first African-American First Lady
- Indira Gandhi-mother, first woman Prime Minister of India
- Margaret Thatcher-mother, first woman Prime Minister of Britain
Mothers Day 2023 Significance
Mother’s Day is a worldwide celebration honoring moms and expressing respect, honor, and love for them.
Mother’s Day is a time to honor mothers’ work, maternal relationships, and the importance of moms in our society. Many people will never be able to express their gratitude to their mothers in a single day. The event provides an opportunity for everyone to do something special for the mothers in our lives. Motherhood is celebrated on this day, making it a significant celebration.
Mothers Day 2023 Quiz
1. What Beatles song was inspired by Paul’s mum Mary?
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Attempt the following Quiz by Entri to boost your score in the examination
- World Students day quiz
- Global Hand washing day quiz
- World Mental Health day quiz
- International day of Girl Child quiz
- Indian Air force quiz
- Modern Agriculture quiz
- World Animal Welfare day quiz
- World Rivers day Quiz
- Gandhi Jayanti Quiz
- World Maritime day Quiz
- World Heart day Quiz
- World Alzheimer’s day Quiz
Few important international days and its significance by Entri.