Table of Contents
In this article, we will be discussing about the National Sports Day 2022- Date, significance and quiz on Sports day. The National Sports Day in our country is celebrated on 29th of August every year. It is also known as the Rastriya Khel Divas. The National Sports Day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of the hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand, the famous hockey player who won gold medals in Olympics for our country in the years 1928, 1932 and 1936. He was born on this day at Allahabad and he was the captain of the Indian hockey team at the Berlin Olympics. Also, he was known as the ‘Wizard of hockey’.
National Sports Day 2022 – Significance
This day is celebrated to emphasis the significance of staying fit and healthy. It also aims to spread awareness about the importance of sports and daily activities in every individual’s life.
The National Sports Day was added to the list of celebratory days in the year 2012. On this day,
- The President of our country gives away all sports related awards like Dronacharya, Arjuna and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award to honor coaches and sportsperson for their service in their respective fields.
- Several walkathons and various football tournaments are conducted.
- Every year, the Selection Committee for Khel Ratna Award nominates two athletes.
Who is Dhyan Chand – Profile
Dhyan Chand, also known as the Magician or Wizard of hockey, was the greatest hockey player in the history of the sport. He played internationally from 1926 to 1949. As per his autobiography, Goal, he scored 570 goals in 185 matches. He was honored with Padma Bhushan in the year 1956. The 20th National Award 2012, the Gem of India, awarded by the Union Minister of India, was given to Dhyan Chand. On behalf of his deceased father, the award was received by Dhyan Chand’s son, Ashok Dhyan Chand (a hockey Olympian in his own right).
What is Fit India Movement – An Overview
In the year 2019, our Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Fit India’ Campaign on the National Sports Day. The campaign aims to promote the inclusion of physical activities and sports in our everyday lives. A committee comprising of various Government officials, members of the Indian Olympic Association, national sports federation etc was formed to provide advises on the campaign. Headed by the Union Ports Minister, the committee consists of 29 members.
National Sports Day 2022- Quiz
1. National Sports Day celebrated is on the birth anniversary
Ans. Major Dhyan Chand.
2. Name the Para Athletic who won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the recently announced National Sports Awards 2020?
Ans. Shri Mariyappan T.
3. Which Indian cricketer won Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in the recently announced National Sports Award 2020?
Ans. Rohit Sharma
4. Name the head of the selection committee for the National Sports Awards 2020.
Ans. Retired Supreme Court Justice, Mukundakam Sharma
5. Which actress played the role of Mary Kom in her biopic?
Ans. Priyanka Chopra.
6. Name the Indian football player who was listed in the top 10 scorers of all time in International football.
Ans. Sunil Chhetri.
7. Name the National Game of India.
8. The total number of gold medal won by Indian Hockey Team in Olympics is
9. Name the first individual Olympic medal winner in Independent India.
Ans. K D Jadav
10. The Flying Sikh of India is
Ans. Milka Singh
11. Who was India’s first football captain?
Ans. Talimerem Ao
12. On the basis of year of starting what will be the correct order from start to latest of following Awards?
a. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
b. Dhyanchand Award
c. Arjuna Award
d. Dronacharya Award