Table of Contents
National Student-Athlete Day is a celebration that’s celebrated on the 6th of April every year. The purpose of this day is to give the mass the opportunity to acknowledge the accomplishments of student-athletes. Millions of student-athletes compete in individual and team sports In the U.S.. Yet, only about half of these students will improve and carry their careers to the college level. And most of these students hold up their high level of athleticism while they’re maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA. A lot of these student-athletes will grow up to become leaders and role models in their communities, so maybe it’s time to honor what they do by celebrating this day. Student-athletes are often supporters and main pillars of their schools’ communities, and the public look up to them, as they are able to achieve impressive things both in the field and in the classroom.
This day was created by the National Consortium for Academics and Sports—also known as the NCAS. They founded this holiday back in 1987 to award those high school and college students who are not only doing well in academics but are also doing well in the classroom. It’s also a day to celebrate those student-athletes who take the time out of their very busy schedule to contribute to the school and their community in a significant way.
Since this day was created, over 4-million student-athletes have been awarded with the National Student-Athlete award certificate. People can ask for special silicone wristbands . These wristbands are silver and black and “National Student-Athlete Day” is written on them.
People honor student-athletes at their school by putting forward their names for this award or by seeking special wristbands. They also use the #NationalStudentAthleteDay to inspire all student-athletes all around U.S.
National Student-Athlete Day: History
The National Student-Athlete Day discovered in 1987 by the NCAS (National Consortium for Academics and Sports) , National Student-Athlete Day was founded to honor the high school and college student-athletes who not only have achieved quality in all their activities but also actively contribute to their communities and schools. The day also received the support of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Student-athletes that have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and who are active in community service, receive a National Student-Athlete Day Award Certificate.
There are presently around 8,000,000 student-athletes in the United States, and a medium over 500,000 of them carry on their career to university level. Several of them even move to playing professionally.
Annually, the Institute for Sport & Social Justice (previously the NCAS) awards the Giant Steps Awards to student-athletes and coaches who have overcome adversity, shown courage, and were activists for the community through the knowledge of sports. A selection committee select candidates nationwide and honors them by awarding them.
Who are Student-Athletes?
A student-athlete is a full-time student that take part in organized competitive sports, in a team or on an individual basis, sponsored by their school. While being good at their sports, they also have to hold up a high GPA and make meaningful contributions to their communities and have a optimistic and positive influence on other students.
Student-athletes that who are good at both their studies and in their sport are often offered scholarships to colleges and universities. If they are specially talented at a specific sport, educate can be offered a full-ride scholarship to keep playing that sport at a university level.
How is National Student-Athlete Day Celebrated?
To celebrate the National Student-Athlete day you can do some of the things listed below.
- Encourage your student-athlete friends by letting them see how much you respect their ambition and dedication.
- Give a student-athlete you know a shout out using #StudentAthleteDay to post on social media.
- Get your favourite student-athlete some new gear.
- If you know a specific excellent student-athlete, you can nominate them for the Giant Steps Award.
- If you’re a student-athlete think of new ways in which you can inspire other students, and pay back your community
- Also help your student-athlete by ensuring that they are taking enough rest and eating right.
- If your child is student-athlete teach them how to cope with stress and the importance of injury care and also while they are at home, ensure that they have knowledge of all their academic resources.
- Also, Help them to balance school, practice and a social life.
Benefits of Celebrating National Student-Athlete Day
Listed below are few of the benefits of Benefits of Celebrating National Student-Athlete Day.
- It showcases dedication
- It reminds us that school is important
- Helps student-athletes improve their self-esteem and take part in volunteering.
- Helps Student-athletes have a better relationship with their family and be grateful to them.
- Also help them cooperate with others better.
Facts about Student-athletes
- In the United States, almost or even more than 8,000,000 student-athletes take part both in team and individual sports.
- Additionally, the day recognizes student-athletes who have a positive impact on their communities while maintaining and earning GPAs of 3.0 or higher.
- Not only do they excel in athletic programs such as volleyball and baseball, , lacrosse, and track and field , but they do very well in academics, too.
- As much as 500,000 shall advance their career on to the college level.
National Student-Athletes Day Dates
Given below are the dates when the National Student-Athletes Day will be celebrated for the next 4 years.
National Student-Athletes Day: Quiz
1.When is National Student-Athletes Day celebrated?
2.Who founded the National Student-Athletes Day?
a)Institute for Sport & Social Justice
c)the National Consortium for Academics and Sports.
d)Australian Sports Commission
3.Every year, the Institute for Sport & Social Justice awards the _________ to student-athletes and coaches who have shown courage, overcome adversity, and were activists for the community through the power of sports.
a)NCAA Inspiration Award
b)NCAA Sportsmanship Award
c)Giant Steps Awards
4.When was the National Student-Athletes Day founded?
Our R&D team provides the best material and books for the complete preparation of all government exams. We provide PDFs of the previous year’s question papers with solutions and detailed analysis. All you need to do is download the Entri app and start practicing.