Table of Contents
“Thermodynamics is the branch of physics dealing with the relationship between heat and other energy formations” like mechanical, chemical, and electrical and in extend to other forms of energy. Thermal management of electronics is crucial to ensure survival and reliability, yet the thermal professionals who make this practicable only gets a little consideration. So, in the year 2014, to value the profession, the diligence and the hard work of thermal engineers, the “National Thermal Engineer day” is celebrated. Even though, it is encircled with a wide range of applications all over the globe. The term “Thermal” designates anything related to heat. Thus heat deals with the production and convey of heat energy. Some important applications of thermal energy are in the form of thermal power plants, cooling and solar heating appliances and in HVACs (heating ventilation and air conditioning). National Thermal Engineer Day is celebrated on July 24 2023. Check here to know more about the History, Significance, Quotes, Applications and celebrations of Thermal Engineer Day.
History of National Thermal Engineer Day
There are series of circumstances in the history that lead to the evolution of National Thermal Engineer Day,
- The Advanced Thermal Solution, Inc.(ATS) first acknowledged July 24 as the National Thermal Engineer Day in the year 2014 with an intention to highlight the innovation and dedication of thermal industries.
- According to the firm belief of ATS, the effort of thermal industries is often concealed by other sections such as software and electronic sectors. However actuality is that, it is the thermal sector that stern the electronic and software sectors.
- Why is July 24? ATS announced July 24 as the National Thermal Engineer day because this day is well known as the hottest day of the year. Seems ideal for the thermal engineers to celebrate as they work under excess heat.
What is Inc. (ATS)?
- Advanced Thermal Solution, Inc. (ATS) is a firm/company that deals with heat management of electronics by providing efficient thermal energy and electronic package solutions.
- Since 1989, it started as a consulting company with an intention to value the importance of thermal industries. And later recognized as a complete solution for thermal management.
- ATS is well known for its holdings of more than 450 high performance heat sink, quality test equipment and leading edge R&D.
- Its primary goal is to have successful customer value added services.
Significance of National Thermal Engineer Day 2023
The thermal/heat energy has a great part in technological advancement and in the development of a country. As we know that electrical energy is produced from thermal energy. Moreover, thermal energy plays a big role in maintenance and renovation of mechanical systems which work with heat transfer into other forms of energy. The top numerous electronic appliances will be of no use if thermal energy was not developed. Thermal engineering has the greatest contribution to the growth of a country.
National Thermal Engineer Day Quotes 2023
Check here for few quotes on Engineering
- “Science is about knowing; engineering is about doing.”- Henry Petroski
- “There’s nothing I believe in more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind.”- Bill Nye
- “What we usually consider as impossible are simply engineering problems… there’s no law of physics preventing them.” – Michio Kaku
- “We will always have STEM with us. Some things will drop out of the public eye and will go away, but there will always be science, engineering, and technology. And there will always, always be mathematics.” – Katherine Johnson
- “At its heart, engineering is about using science to find creative, practical solutions. It is a noble profession.” – Queen Elizabeth II
- “Engineering stimulates the mind.”- Bruce Dickinson
- “A rainbow is the product of physics working for your appreciation of beauty.”- Kyle Hill
- “Physics is about questioning, studying, probing nature. You probe, and, if you’re lucky, you get strange clues.”- Lene Hau
- “Science is beautiful when it makes simple explanations of phenomena or connections between different observations. Examples include the double helix in biology and the fundamental equations of physics.”- Stephen Hawking
Facts about Thermal Energy
Read more to know about the facts of Thermal Energy
- The unit of Thermal Energy is Joule ‘J’.
- The heat brought by sun is the heat lost by earth.
- James Joule is recognized as the first person who studied loss and gain of heat.
- The term ‘Heat’ is used only when heat is transferred from one to another.
- Convection, Conduction and Radiation are the three types of heat transfer.
- Did you know? The thermal energy and temperature are not same.
- Thermal energy was first discovered in the year 1847.
- Did you know? A cup of water and a gallon of water can be of same temperature, but a gallon of water has much more thermal energy because of its relative volume.
- Every year $15.2 billion of pharmaceutical products are lost because of temperature excursion.
- Did you know? 1 megawatt hour of electricity developed from solar heat energy prevents the emission of 1 ton of Co2 getting into the atmosphere.
Celebration of National Thermal Engineer Day 2023
Here’s some effective ways to celebrate national thermal engineer day;
- Conduct an awareness program as a part of National Thermal Engineer Day.
- Celebrate this day by planning a model making contest, and by arranging a presentation of different models of thermal power plants.
- On this very special day spend some time learning and obtaining information related to thermal energy. And also making your own journal will be a great experience.
- Organize a quiz completion in college and schools.
- Schools and colleges can educate the students more about Thermal energy and its applications
- Schools can conduct STEM based activities to let the students think, explore and act in the field of science.
- Career exploration can be conducted in high school to let the students know more about the applications and career choices they have with respect to thermal engineering
- The scope of Thermal engineering can be highlighted at schools so that students will get an opportunity to think and explore in that area.
- “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”- Ronald Reagan
Application of Thermal Engineering
Some of the Thermal Engineering Application are is listed below;
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)
- For boiler design
- In computer chips cooling process
- Used in combustion engine
- Heat exchangers and in cooling systems
- Solar heating and in thermal power plants
- Applied in fired heaters process
Moreover, Thermal Engineering takes part in our day to day life. Let’s celebrate this hottest July 24th as National Thermal Engineer Day!