Current affairs are one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for comprehending these current affairs sections. This article has provided the top weekly current affairs from October 18 to October 24, 2021, which will help all aspirants improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 October 18 to 24
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week October 18 to 24, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
India re-elected to UN Human Rights Council
- The headquarters of the UNHRC is in Geneva, Switzerland.India was re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) for a sixth term on October 14, 2021, with an overwhelming majority.
- The new three-year term of India will be effective from January 2022 to December 2024.
- India received 184 votes of the 193 votes cast in the election.
- The elections were held for a total of 18 seats and countries needed a minimum of 97 votes to get elected to the 47 UN member council.
Election Commission of India launches Garuda App
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the Garuda app for digital mapping of all polling stations, to ensure faster, smarter, transparent and timely completion of election work.
- Through the Garuda app, Booth Level Officers (BLO) will upload photos and location information of the polling stations, along with data like latitude and longitude of the centre, from their registered mobile numbers.
- The app will also help in reducing the paperwork.
FIFA Ranking 2021: India ranked 106th
- India has ranked 106th in the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) Rankings 2021, the position of team India was increased to one spot.
- After the victory in the SAFF (South Asian Football Federation) Championship 2021 of team India led by Sunil Chhetri, it has secured the 106th position.
- The team has defeated Nepal in the summit clash. Under the FIFA Rankings, Belgium is at 1st position. Brazil holds 2nd position, France holds 3rd position.
South Korea flight tests first homegrown space rocket “Nuri”
- South Korea recently launched its first indigenously developed rocket, known as “Korean Satellite Launch Vehicle II” or “Nuri”.
- The launch vehicle lifted off from the Naro Space Center, in Goheung, built on an island nearly 300 miles (500 kilometers) south of Seoul.
- The Nuri rocket is 47.2 metres long and weighs 200 tons. The three-stage rocket is fitted with six liquid-fuelled engines. It has been built at an estimated cost of 2 trillion won (£1.23bn or $1.6bn).
Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation wins Earth Heroes Awards 2021
- The Parambikulam Tiger Conservation Foundation has bagged the Earth Guardian Award instituted by the NatWest Group.
- The eight winners of the award were felicitated by the UN Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora secretary-general Ivonne Higuero through a virtual ceremony.
- Parambikulam Tiger Reserve also includes erstwhile Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, which is spread across 391 square kilometres.
- It is a protected area in Palakkad district of Kerala.
- It was established in 1973.
Indian Fencer Bhavani Devi wins Charlellville National Competition in France
- Indian Fencer Bhavani Devi has won the Charlellville National Competition in France in the individual women’s sabre event.
- Bhavani Devi is currently ranked 50th in the world and is the top-ranked fencer from India.
- Bhavani Devi, India’s first Olympic fencer, wins Charlellville National Competition in France.
China successfully launches its first solar exploration satellite ‘Xihe’
- China has launched its first solar exploration satellite into space to study the violent and sudden physical processes behind solar flares.
- The 550 kg (121-pound) satellite named Xihe (Name of Sun God in Chinese mythology) was launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province aboard a Long March-2D rocket.
- Meanwhile, ten small satellites and a commercial meteorological detection constellation experimental satellite were also sent to space along with Xihe satellite.
India ranks 71st on 2021 Global Food Security Index among 113 nations
- India has achieved 71st position in the Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021 from among a list of 113 countries.
- The GFS Index is designed and constructed by London-based Economist Impact and is sponsored by Corteva Agriscience.
- Ireland, Australia, the UK, Finland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan, France and the US shared the top rank. Their overall GFS scores were in the range of 77.8 and 80 points on the index.
Russian filmmaker Klim Shipenko becomes first to shoot film in space
- A Russian film crew has scripted a record by undertaking the first-ever motion picture shooting session in the International Space Station (ISS).
- The Russian film director Klim Shipenko and actress Yulia Peresild spent 12 days in the ISS filming 30 minutes duration scenes for the film “The Challenge”.
- It took around 30 hours to record the material while in space.
- “The Challenge” is the first feature film to be shot in space.
Kerala to institute its own ‘Padma awards’
- The Cabinet decided to institute State awards on the lines of the Padma awards presented nationally for exemplary contribution to various fields.
- The State awards will be titled Kerala Puraskarangal. They will be given away in three categories – ‘Kerala Jyothi,’ ‘Kerala Prabha,’ and ‘Kerala Sree.’
- The Kerala Jyothi award will be presented to one individual in a year. The Kerala Prabha award will be given away to two persons, and Kerala Sree to five.
- The awards will be announced on November 1, Kerala Piravi Day.
- The award distribution function will be held at Raj Bhavan.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.