Current affairs are one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for comprehending these current affairs sections. This article has provided the top weekly current affairs from August 16 to 22, 2021, which will help all aspirants improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 August 16 to 22
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week August 16 to 22, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Mahatma Gandhi to be given the US Congressional Gold Medal
- An influential US lawmaker from New York reintroduced a resolution in the US House of Representatives to posthumously award the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal to Mahatma Gandhi in recognition of his promotion of peace and nonviolence.
- The Congressional Gold Medal is the highest civilian award in the United States.
- Gandhi would be the first Indian to receive a Congressional Gold Medal, an honor bestowed upon such great figures as George Washington, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, and Rosa Parks.
Indian Film Festival of Melbourne Awards 2021 Announced
The Family Man 2 actors Manoj Bajpayee and Samantha Akkineni were among the winners of the latest edition of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne Awards.
- Best Feature Film: Soorarai Pottru
- Best Performance Female (Feature): Vidya Balan (Sherni) & Honourable mention to Nimisha Sajayan (The Great Indian Kitchen)
- Best Performance Male (Feature): Suriya Sivakumar (Soorarai Pottru)
- Best Director: Anurag Basu (Ludo) & Honorary Mention Prithvi Konanur (Pinki Elli?)
- Equality in Cinema Award (Feature Film): The Great Indian Kitchen
India’s highest herbal park inaugurated in Uttarakhand
- India’s highest altitude herbal park was inaugurated on Saturday at Mana village in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand.
- The herbal park is situated at a height of 11,000 feet and is close to the Indo-China border.
- Mana is the last Indian village in Chamoli bordering China and is adjacent to Badrinath temple.
India’s largest Floating Solar PV Project commissioned in Andhra Pradesh
- NTPC has commissioned the largest floating solar PV project in India of 25MW power on the reservoir of its Simhadri thermal station in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- This is also the first solar project to be set up under the Flexibilisation Scheme.
- This scheme was notified by the Government of India in 2018.
- NTPC is also planning to set up a hydrogen-based micro-grid system on a pilot basis at Simhadri.
Delhi-Chandigarh Highway becomes India’s first e-vehicle friendly highway
- The Delhi-Chandigarh Highway has become the first e-vehicle friendly highway in India.
- The Union Heavy Industries Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey inaugurated India’s first Solar Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station at the Karnal Lake Resort on August 19, 2021.
- The newly launched EV charging station at the Karnal lake resort is strategically located at the midpoint of the Delhi-Chandigarh highway.
- Besides, all other charging stations on this highway will also be upgraded into EV-friendly stations within a year.
Hisar Airport in Haryana was renamed Maharaja Agrasen International Airport
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced to rename the Hisar Airport as Maharaja Agrasen International Airport.
- The Hisar Airport is a domestic airport and the first DGCA licensed Public Aerodrome of the State.
- This airport is presently under up-gradation to be transformed into an international airport by 30 March 2024.
Ismail Sabri Yaakob was appointed as new Prime Minister of Malaysia
- Ismail Sabri Yaakob has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- Before this, he was the Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- He will succeed Muhyiddin Yassin as the PM, who resigned from the post after losing majority support in the lower house of parliament.
- The appointment of Yaakob was done by Malaysia’s King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
Nakul Chopra was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of BARC India
- Television monitoring agency Broadcast Audience Research Council (Barc) has announced the appointment of Nakul Chopra as its chief executive officer (CEO) effective 25 August 2021.
- Former CEO Sunil Lulla has resigned to pursue his ambition as an entrepreneur.
- This announcement comes as Sunil Lulla has decided to resign from the position of CEO to pursue his entrepreneurial ambitions.
- Broadcast Audience Research Council Founded: 2010;
- Broadcast Audience Research Council
75 Vande Bharat Express trains will connect every corner of the country in 75 weeks of ‘Amrit Mahotsav’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on the occasion of 75th Independence Day on August 15, 2021, and announced that 75 ‘Vande Bharat’ trains would connect different parts of the country in 75 weeks of the celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav
- The 75 Vande Bharat trains will connect every corner of the country, in 75 weeks of the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, which is being celebrated from March 12, 2021, up to August 15, 2023.
- Presently two Vande Bharat Express trains are operating in the country by the Indian Railways.
- The first Vande Bharat Express operates between Varanasi and New Delhi and the other Vande Bharat Express operates between Katra and New Delhi.
Union Minister flags off ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ to create a World Record at Siachen Glacier
- The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar flagged off a pioneering world record expedition named ‘Operation Blue Freedom’ from Dr. Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi on the occasion of 75th Independence Day on August 15, 2021.
- The Operation Blue Freedom expedition comprises a team of people with disabilities from across the country to reach Siachen Glacier, to create a new World Record, for the largest team of people with disabilities reaching the world’s highest battlefield.
- The team of people with disabilities was trained by ‘Team CLAW’, a team of Armed Forces veterans.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.