Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from October 05 to 11, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 October 05 to 11
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week October 05 to 11, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Indian Coast Guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua commissioned at Kolkata
- The Indian Coast Guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua was commissioned at Kolkata.
- It is the fifth and last in a series of Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd.
- The FPVs are upgraded versions of the inshore patrol vessels with a modified form of the hull and can achieve a speed of 34 knots.
- Such vessels have also been delivered to Indian Navy by GRSE.
- Indian Coast Guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua was named after a teenage freedom fighter who was shot dead in Assam during the Quit India Movement.
2nd edition of India-Bangladesh Navy Bilateral Exercise “Bongosagar”
- The second edition of Indian Navy (IN) – Bangladesh Navy (BN) Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar commences in Northern Bay of Bengal.
- Exercise Bongosagar, is aimed at developing interoperability and joint operational skills through conduct of a wide spectrum of maritime exercises and operations.
- In the 2nd edition of Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar, ships from both navies will participate in surface warfare drills, seamanship evolutions and helicopter operations.
- This exercise will be followed by the 3rd edition of IN – BN Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) in Northern Bay of Bengal from 4 to 5 October 2020, wherein IN and BN units will undertake joint patrolling along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).
Right Livelihood Award 2020 announced
- The Right Livelihood Award Foundation has announced the four winners of the 2020 Right Livelihood Award 2020 which is also known as the alternative Nobel Prize in Stockholm.
- The four activists Ales Bialiatski of Belarus, Nasrin Sotoudeh of Iran, Bryan Stevenson of the United States(US) and Lottie Cunningham Wren of Nicaragua shared the 2020 award for their contribution towards equality, democracy, justice and freedom.
- Ales Bialiatski and Nasrin Sotoudeh received the award for their contribution to the realisation of democracy in Belarus and human rights in Iran respectively.
- Bryan Stevenson, a US civil rights lawyer, received the award for his efforts to reform the criminal justice system and the advance racial reconciliation in the US.
- Lottie Cunningham Wren received the award for her contribution in protecting indigenous lands and communities from exploitation.
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 announced
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 was awarded jointly to Harvey J. Alter(America), Charles M. Rice (America) and Michael Houghton (Britain) for the discovery of the Hepatitis C virus.
- The head of the Nobel Committee, Thomas Perlmann has announced the winners in Stockholm.
- This year’s Nobel Prize is awarded to three scientists who have made a decisive contribution to the fight against blood-borne hepatitis, a major global health problem that causes cirrhosis and liver cancer in people around the world.
The first Occupational Lung Disease Research Centre in the state will come up in Alappuzha
- The first Occupational Lung Disease Research Centre in the state will come up at the TD Medical College, Alappuzha.
- Incidentally, the move to set up the centre at the department of pulmonary medicine of the Medical College comes in the wake of various study reports which found high incidence of lung problems among coir workers and prawn peelers in the district.
- It is expected to conduct population-based study to assess the real magnitude of this major public health issue mainly plaguing those belonging to the weaker sections of society.
- It is learnt that the help of the central government and international agencies like the World Health Organisation and International Labour Organisation might be sought for running the centre’s operations in the future.
Puducherry airport becomes AAI’s first 100% solar-powered airport
- The Puducherry airport has become the first airport of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) which is entirely solar-powered.
- The 500KWp ground-mounted solar power plant was commissioned on 2nd October 2020.
- The approx cost of the plant is Rs 2.8 crore. With becoming absolutely power-neutral, the Puducherry airport will be able to meet its entire power requirement through the solar power plant.
12th BRICS Summit to be held on 17 November virtually under Russia’s Chairmanship
- The 12th BRICS Summit is scheduled to be held on 17th November 2020 via video conference.
- This is the first time in the history of the forum that the meeting will be held virtually, due to the global COVID pandemic.
- The Summit is being held under the Chairmanship of Russia.
- The theme of the Meeting of the Leaders of BRICS countries is “BRICS Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- The five member BRICS states are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Cabinet gives nod for appointment of Mubarak Pasha as VC of Sree Narayana Guru Open University
- The cabinet has decided to appoint Mubarak Pasha as the first Vice Chancellor of Sree Narayana Guru Open University.
- The cabinet is also learnt to have endorsed the selection of SV Sudheer as Pro Vice Chancellor and PN Dileep as Registrar of the Open University which was formally inaugurated on October 2.
- Sree Narayana Guru Open University is an open university in Kerala established by the Kerala Government.
- It is the fourteenth State university in Kerala and the fifteenth open university in India.
- The University has been named after the great social reformer Sree Narayana Guru and has its headquarters in Kollam city.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2020 announced
- The 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna “for the development of a method for genome editing”.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna have discovered one of gene technology’s sharpest tools: the CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors.
- Using these, researchers can change the DNA of animals, plants and microorganisms with extremely high precision.
- This technology has had a revolutionary impact on the life sciences, is contributing to new cancer therapies and may make the dream of curing inherited diseases come true.
Indian Cotton gets Brand Name; To be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ globally
- Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, launched the first ever Brand & Logo for Indian Cotton on 7th October, 2020 through Video Conferencing.
- It means that from now on, the premium Cotton of India would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton Trade.
- The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
Quad Countries’ Foreign Minister Meet held in Tokyo
- Quad Countries’ Foreign Minister meet held in Tokyo, Japan.
- All four Quad countries the United States, Japan, India and Australia to hold bilateral discussions over the “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” (FOIP) initiative amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- This is the second Quad FM meeting.
- The first was held in 2019.
- The Quad Foreign Minister meeting was represented by External Affairs Minister of India S Jaishankar, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne, and Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi.
Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 announced
- The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2020 is awarded to the American poet Louise Glück “for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal”.
- The Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded by The Swedish Academy, Stockholm, Sweden.
- The American poet Louise Glück was born in 1943 in New York and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- She has received several prestigious awards, among them the Pulitzer Prize (1993) and the National Book Award (2014).
India’s first advanced manufacturing hub (AMHUB) to be set up in Tamil Nadu
- The Advanced Manufacturing Hub (AMHUB) which is first of its kind in the country will be jointly set up by the World Economic Forum and Guidance in Tamil Nadu.
- AMHUB is one among the nineteen platforms that has been designed by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Tamil Nadu’s nodal investment promotion agency called Guidance will also be joining hands with WEF.
- The Hub would help the state Tamil Nadu in sectors of solar energy, electronics, electric mobility and textiles.
Nobel Prize in Peace 2020 announced
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020 to the World Food Programme (WFP). The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
- In 2019, the WFP provided assistance to close to 100 million people in 88 countries who are victims of acute food insecurity and hunger.
About the World Food Programme (WFP):
- The work of the World Food Programme to the benefit of humankind is an endeavour that all the nations of the world should be able to endorse and support.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) is an effort to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.
Nobel Prize in Physics 2020 announced
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2020 was divided, one half awarded to Roger Penrose for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity.
- The other half jointly to Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez for the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
Ezhacherry Ramachandran bags Vayalar Award
- Noted Malayalam poet Ezhacherry Ramachandran has bagged the Vayalar Award this year.
- His creation ‘Oru Virginian Veyilkalam’ won him the honour.
- The award consists of a memento designed in bronze by Kanayi Kunhiraman, certificate and a purse of Rs 1 lakh.
- ‘Oru Virginian Veyilkalam’ is a collection of 41 poems.
- Ardrasamudram, Bhandurangeepuram, Neeli and Kayyur are some of his noted works. Other works include Uyarum Njan Nadake and Kattuchikkiya Thelimanalil.
- The award was announced at a press conference by Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Trust President Perumbadavam Sreedharan.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.