Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs sections. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from April 26 to May 2, 2021, which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 April 26 to May 2
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week April 26 to May 2, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Kerala Folklore Academy Award 2021
- Recent recipient of Kerala Folklore Academy Award for his efforts in promoting tribal traditional art form Chattu Pattu – Chempancode Manikandan.
- Kerala Folklore Academy is an autonomous center for cultural affairs constituted by the Government of Kerala and works under the Department of Cultural Affairs.
- It was established on 28 June 1995 to promote and project the traditional art forms of Kerala. It is located at Chirakkal, Kannur.
Kerala to start ‘Prana Project’ which supplies oxygen directly to Hospital Beds through pipelines
- First Hospital in Kerala to start ‘Prana Project’ which supplies oxygen directly to Hospital Beds through pipelines – Thrissur Medical College
- Oxygen is supplied to 500 beds in 6 wards.
- The project was designed by the doctors of the hospital.
- The first of a kind project was implemented in association with public participation.
Krithi Karanth becomes 1st Indian woman to get ‘Wild Innovator Award’
- Dr. Krithi K Karanth, Chief Conservation Scientist at Bengaluru-based Centre for Wildlife Studies (CWS), has been chosen as the first Indian and Asian woman for the 2021 ‘WILD Innovator Award’.
- This award given by the ‘‘WILD ELEMENTS Foundation” brings together a coalition of innovators, advocates, and partners to “disrupt the status quo and identify solutions to global sustainability and conservation,”.
- The Foundation’s distinctive approach to addressing climate change is the “Power of Three,” recognizing the interconnectedness of animal-kind, humankind, and plant kind for the future planetary wellness of our shared home.
India Ranks 49th in Chandler Good Government Index 2021
- India has been placed at 49th position among 104 nations in the Chandler Good Government Index (CGGI) 2021.
- Finland has topped the CGGI Index 2021.
- Venezuela is the last ranked country at 104
- The CGGI is an annual index developed by the Chandler Institute of Governance, based in Singapore, that measures the effectiveness of governments in 104 countries across the world in terms of government capabilities and outcomes.
Chinese first mars rover named as ‘Zhurong’
- China has named its first Mars rover as ‘Zhurong’.
- In Chinese tradition, Zhurong means the mythical god of fire and war.
- The solar-powered rover was launched aboard the Tianwen-1 probe in July 2020.
- The rover reached the red planet’s orbit on February 24, 2021.
- Zhurong is likely to make a landing attempt in May 2021.
- If the Tianwen-1 mission is successful, China would become the third country after the former Soviet Union and the US to land a robot on Mars.
LIC among top ten most-valuable insurance brand globally
- The state-owned insurance behemoth ‘Life Insurance Corporation (LIC)’ has emerged as the third strongest and the tenth most valuable insurance brand globally, in Brand Finance Insurance 100 report for 2021.
- The brand value of LIC increased by almost 7 percent to $8.65 billion in 2021.
- The annual report is released by London-based brand valuation consultancy firm Brand Finance, to identify the most valuable and strongest insurance brands globally.
- Chinese firm ‘Ping An Insurance’ emerged as the world’s most valuable insurance brand, despite recording a 26 percent drop in brand value in 2021 over the previous year.
UK becomes the first country to announce regulation for use of self-driving vehicles on motorways
- The United Kingdom has become the first country to announce a regulation that allows the use of self-driving vehicles at slow speeds on motorways.
- For this, the Transport Ministry of the UK will begin the service with Automated Lane Keeping Systems (ALKS), which use sensors and software to keep cars within a lane, allowing them to accelerate and brake without driver input.
- The ALKS technology controls the position and speed of a car in a single lane and it will be limited to 37mph (60km/h).
93rd Academy Awards (Oscars Awards 2021)
- The 93rd Academy Awards ceremony, also known as the Oscars Award, took place in Los Angeles on April 25, 2021.
- Chloe Zhao, who directed “Nomadland”, was crowned best director, and with this, she became the only second woman to claim the title and the first woman of color to win that award.
- Indian film personalities Irrfan Khan and Bhanu Athaiya were honored in the “In Memoriam” montage showcased at the event.
- Top Award Winners
- Best Picture: Nomadland
- Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Nomadland
- Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins, The Father
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.