Current affairs are one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for comprehending these current affairs sections. This article has provided the top weekly current affairs from August 02 to 08, 2021, which will help all aspirants improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 August 02 to 08
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week August 02 to 08, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Sahajeevanam program launched by the empowerment and welfare of differently-abled people
- The program launched by the Kerala Government for the empowerment and welfare of differently-abled people – Sahajeevanam
- Education empowerment program launched in Pathanamthitta for Parents of School Children – Makkalkoppam
- The project was launched by KSRTC to facilitate bus services to rural areas in association with local bodies – Grama Vandi
- The innovative program launched by Govt. of Kerala, which aims at the transformation of the state into disabled people friendly and the empowerment of differently-abled children – Anuyathra
Ebrahim Raisi was sworn in as the new President of Iran
- Ebrahim Raisi was officially sworn in as the new president of Iran on August 05, 2021.
- He won the 2021 Iranian presidential election in June, with 62 percent of the vote.
- The 60-year-old Raisi succeeds Hassan Rouhani to begin his four-year term.
- He is also been the Chief Justice of Iran since March 2019.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award rechristened as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award
- The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the highest sporting honour of India, has been renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, as per an announcement made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 06, 2021.
- The Khel Ratna award was instituted in 1991-1992 and comes with a cash prize of Rs 25 lakh. The first recipient was Chess legend, Viswanathan Anand.
- Allahabad-born Major Dhyan Chand was a legendary field hockey player, who played international hockey from 1926 to 1949, scoring over 400 goals in his career.
- The ultimate hockey hero was famously known as ‘The Wizard’.
- Dhyan Chand was part of the Olympic team that won gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936.
Neeraj Chopra wins Gold in Men’s Javelin Throw at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- India’s star javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won a historic gold medal in men’s javelin throw at the Tokyo 2020 Games on August 07, 2021.
- Neeraj Chopra threw 87.58m in his second attempt to claim the yellow medal.
- This is the first gold medal for India at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics 2020 and the 7th medal overall.
- Chopra is the first athlete of independent India to win a gold medal in the track and field discipline.
- He is also the only second Indian to win gold in Olympics, after Abhinav Bindra, who claimed gold in the 10-meter air rifle event at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
Dhriti Banerjee appointed first woman director of Zoological Survey of India
- Dr. Dhriti Banerjee has been appointed as the first woman Director of the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
- This is for the first time in the 105 years history of ZSI that a women director has been appointed.
- The 51-year-old Dr. Banerjee has had an illustrious career as a scientist at ZSI, conducting research in taxonomy, zoogeography, morphology, and molecular systematics.
- The ZSI was started in July 1916, under the ministry of environment and forests and climate change.
- It is headquartered in Kolkata and has 16 regional centers.
India’s first heart failure biobank unveiled in Thiruvananthapuram
- India’s first Heart Failure Biobank has been set up at the National Centre for Advanced Research and Excellence in HF (CARE-HF) at the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) at Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala.
- The HF (Heart Failure) Biobank will store the biospecimens such as blood, serum, tissue samples obtained during open-heart surgery, and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and genomic DNA collected from heart failure patients for research purposes.
- It would also provide guidance for future therapies and technologies to improve the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment of heart patients significantly.
Indian Men’s Hockey team beats Germany to win bronze at Tokyo Olympics
- Indian national men’s hockey team defeated Germany, 5-4, to win the bronze medal match at Tokyo Olympics 2020 on August 05, 2021.
- Indian team has claimed the medal in hockey after a gap of 41-year.
- The last time team India won a medal in hockey was at the 1980 Moscow Games when they won the gold.
Nikol Pashinyan Re-appointed as Prime Minister of Armenia
- Nikol Pashinyan was re-appointed as the prime minister of Armenia by President Armen Sarkissian on August 02, 2021.
- Pashinyan, the leader of the Civil Contract Party, won a majority of seats in parliamentary elections in June 2021.
- The 46-year-old Pashinyan was first appointed as the prime minister in 2018.
Deepak Das takes charge as new Controller General of Accounts (CGA)
- Shri Deepak Das took over as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) on August 01, 2021.
- Deepak Das, a 1986-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) officer, is the 25th officer to hold the position of CGA.
- Prior to assuming charge of CGA, Mr. Das served as the Principal Chief Controller of Accounts in the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
PV Sindhu wins bronze in Women’s Badminton at Tokyo Olympics
- Ace Indian badminton player PV Sindhu defeated China’s He Bingjiao to win the bronze medal in the women’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics on August 01, 2021.
- With this win, Sindhu scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman and the only second Indian athlete to win two Olympic medals in individual events.
- Earlier she won the silver in women’s singles badminton at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
- This is India’s second medal at the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.