Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs sections. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from May 10 to 16, 2021 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Attempt Daily Current Affairs Quiz for free! Download App!
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 May 10 to 16
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week May 10 to 16, 2021 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Indian wrestler Sumit Malik recently qualified for Tokyo Olympics 2021
- Sumit Malik (born 9 January 1993) is a freestyle wrestler from India who competes in the 125 kg category.
- He was a gold medallist at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- He has also been a silver medalist at both the Asian Wrestling Championships and the Commonwealth Wrestling Championship in 2017.
Laureus World Sports Award 2021
- Sportsman of the year – Rafael Nadal (Spain)
- Sportswoman of the year – Naomi Osaka (Japan)
- Come back of the year – Max Parrot (Canada)
- World Team of the year – Bayern Munich
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Billie Jean King (USA)
- Athlete Advocate of the year – Lewis Hamilton (Britain)
- Sporting Inspiration – Mohamed Salah (Egypt)
- Breakthrough of the year – Patrick Mahomes (USA)
- The Laureus World Sports Awards is an annual award ceremony honoring individuals and teams from the world of sports along with sporting achievements throughout the year.
- It was established in 1999 by Laureus Sport for Good Foundation founding patrons Daimler and Richemont.
Eight Asiatic lions have tested positive for coronavirus in Hyderabad zoo
- In what appears to be the first of its kind case in India, eight Asiatic lions have tested positive for coronavirus in Hyderabad zoo.
- The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology told the Nehru Zoological Park (NZP) on April 29 that the RT-PCR tests of these lions had come out positive for coronavirus.
- Zoo officials raised an alarm last week when they saw the pack of Lions wheezing with dry cough, nasal discharge, and loss of appetite.
Canada approves Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for children aged 12-15
- Canada announced its approval of administering the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine to children ages 12 to 15 on Wednesday.
- Canada became the first country in the world to have okayed the two-dose Pfizer vaccine shots to the younger age group.
- The Canadian government authorized the vaccine for use in individuals 16 years of age and older last December.
- Health Canada based its decision on data from Phase 3 clinical trials in participants aged 12 to 15 years old. The trial enrolled 2,260 adolescents 12 to 15 years of age in the United States.
- All participants in the trial will continue to be monitored for long-term protection and safety for an additional two years after their second dose.
Kozhikode Community Kitchen selected for Skoch Award
- Kozhikode Municipal Corporation’s Community Kitchen set up during the lockdown in March-April 2020, has been selected for the Skoch award 2021.
- The project has been given the ‘Silver’ award for projects by local bodies in the country, in the subcategory ‘Inspirational or Transformational Performance during COVID’.
- Instituted in 2003, SKOCH Award salutes people, projects, and institutions that go the extra mile to make India a better nation.
- SKOCH Award winners include the mighty and the ordinary alike.
- They receive this award for their extraordinary achievements in contributing to society.
A book titled ‘Life in the Clock Tower Valley’ author by Shakoor Rather
- “Life in the Clock Tower Valley” is the debut book of Press Trust of India (PTI) journalist Shakoor Rather.
- The book is published by Speaking Tiger, it talks about Kashmir’s pristine past, its grievous present and always-uncertain future.
- It also includes historical and political information about Kashmir as well as environmental issues that are seldom talked about.
Assam, first Indian state to have a digital flood reporting system
- Jishnu Barua, Chief Secretary, Assam, launched a digital real-time Flood Reporting and Information Management System (FIRMS) in the state of Assam.
- With the launch of FRIMS, Assam becomes the first Indian state to have a real-time digital flood reporting system.
- With the river Brahmaputra flowing at the crux, Assam is prone to severe floods and erosion every year.
- FRIMS, a digital real-time flood reporting system, has been developed jointly by Assam State Disaster Management Agency (ASDMA) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted wins World Food Prize 2021
- Indian-origin Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted has been named as the winner of the 2021 World Food Prize. The 71-year-old Thilsted was born and grew up in Trinidad and Tobago and later became a citizen of Denmark.
- She has been awarded the prize in recognition of her achievements in pioneering fish-based food systems to improve nutrition, health, and livelihoods for millions around the world.
- Thilsted is a nutrition expert who pioneered innovative ways of raising fish rich in micronutrients and fatty acids and incorporating them into diets in developing countries.
- Her family was descendants of Indian families brought there as agricultural labourers.
- The award is also referred to as the Nobel Prize for Food and Agriculture.
Champions of English Premier League 2020-21-Manchester City FC
- The 2020–21 Premier League is the 29th season of the Premier League, the top English professional league for association football clubs since its establishment in 1992.
- The season was initially scheduled to start on 8 August, but this was delayed until 12 September as a consequence of the postponement of the previous season’s conclusion due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manchester City secured a fifth Premier League title and seventh English league title overall with three matches to spare; it was also the club’s third title in the last four seasons.
Download Entri App and Start using Discussion Forum
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.
Discussion about this post