Table of Contents
US Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students: The United States of America has been one of the top destinations for Indian students for many years. Indian students account for almost 18% of total international students in the country. It means we are the second community with the highest number of international students in the USA. Congratulations if you got a call letter from your desired university. Applying for a visa is the next step you have to take towards your dream. If you do not have much idea about the VISA application process for Indian students who are going to American Universities, read this guide that will surely help to get started with this process.
Different Types of Student Visas
Three types of Visas are offered to Indian students by the US government namely J, M and F respectively. Before applying for any of these Visas you have to get an acceptance letter from the educational institution of your choice. Another important fact is that the institution should be approved by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).
US Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students for F-1 Visa
It is a non-immigrant student Visa that allows international students to enter the USA and pursue their higher education in SEVP-approved institutions. This visa is for full-time students. But these students are also permitted to work off-campus on a case-by-case basis. Students having this visa are allowed to work in special situations like in cases of extreme economic hardship. The Visa fee needs to be paid in whole and it is not refundable. Things that are to be submitted while applying for an F1 visa are listed below.
- A valid passport
- Academic transcripts proving 12 years of schooling
- Evidence for financial stability ( to prove that you can support yourself without working)
- Certificate of English language proficiency i.e. documents proving that you passed exams like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- Medical insurance to cover your health expenses
- The I-20 form issued by the chosen university along with the admission so that the student can apply for F1 Visa.
US Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students for M1 Visa
This is the type of visa that is offered to people who are joining non-academic programs or vocational programs and training institutions. A person holding an M1 visa can apply for vocational training programs and technical programs during the period of their course without any work permit. things required for applying for an M1 visa are listed below.
- Proper documentation as a piece of evidence that the student will be able to pay for the university fee and take care of living expenses for the period of their stay without joining the workforce of the United States.
- A DS-160 or Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application should be completed and submitted by the international students.
- A valid passport whose date of validity is last till the completion of the said course
- Academic transcripts, certificate and other documents as proof of completing a certain level of education
- Age over 18 years. Students younger than 18 years of age are not allowed to apply for an M1 visa
- Proof of appearing and clearing an English language proficiency test.
US Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students for J1 Visa
This visa is for people who wish to get employment in study-based student exchange or visitor programs in the USA. This is specifically intended for applicants who need training. The requirement for a J! via are given below.
- Age above 18 years. students below 18 years of age are not eligible for a j1 visa
- Proficiency in the English language. have to appear and clear the language proficiency exams.
- Good health. applicants with health issues might be considered ineligible.
- Absolutely no criminal record. The police verification results should be absolutely clean and positive.
- An international driving licence and experience exceeding 50 hours.
- The applicant should be able to live 12 months away from home. they cannot return home before that.
- They shouldn’t have stayed as an au pair in the USA before this application
- A valid passport
Other General Information
Besides the information listed above there are a few things that an Indian student requires when applying for these visas. They are:
- A passport having extra six months validity than the student’s intended period of stay
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
- Proof of the payment of the application fee
- The required amount of photographs
- Your intent to leave the USA upon completion of the course should be clearly stated. Give clear evidence of a strong bond to India such as family, friends, employment etc.
Fly To Your Dream Foreign University with Entri Fly
Are you dreaming of being a student at a prestigious foreign university? Do you dream of learning at the best universities in the world but don’t know where to begin? Entri Fly is here to help you. Entri Fly provide many services for aiding your wish to go search for better opportunities. The services offered by Entri Fly are listed below.
- Student Accommodation Support
- Forex for International transfer
- Visa Interview Guidance
- Visa Support
- LOR format guidance
- One-on-one Assistance
- SOP Writing
- Fast Offer Letter
- Education Loan Support
- University Registration
- CAS Support
- Free IELTS Course
- SOP writing
- Credibility interview support
- Pre-departure Session
All Necessary details regarding the documents required for Indian students for applying for a USA student visa are given in this article. Collect them all beforehand so that there won’t be any rush or confusion at the last minute.
US Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students FAQs
- Which document should be sent by the university so that the student can apply for the visa?
- Which Visa can be applied even before reaching 18 years old?
F1 student visa