First Indian-origin WWII spy, Noor Inayat, to get Blue Plaque in UK
- British Indian World War II spy, Noor Inayat Khan, confirmed as the first Indian-origin woman to be honoured with a Blue Plaque at 4 Taviton Street in Bloomsbury, London (her former home).
- She was the daughter of Indian Sufi saint Hazrat Inayat Khan and an agent for Britain’s Special Operations Executive (SOE) during World War II. She was captured and killed by the Nazis in 1944 at the age of 30 years.
Commemorative notes to be released to mark Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
- UAE based company will release 12 bank notes of zero value which is the first ever limited edition commemorative series to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Dubai based Indian artist Akbar Saheb has designed these special notes. He was the main illustrator for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s book ‘Mann Ki Baat’.
Chris Gayle reached 10,000 ODI runs and became 1st batsman in the world to hit 500 sixes
- West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle became the first player in the world to hit 500 sixes the 14th batsman and second from the Caribbean after Brian Lara, to reach the milestone of 10,000 ODI runs, after scoring 162 off 97 balls against England in the fourth ODI at the National Cricket Stadium in St George’s, Grenada.
- He had announced on 17 February 2019 that he will retire from One-Day International cricket after this 2019’s World Cup in England and Wales.
Titanwala Museum has been inaugurated by Smriti Irani at Bagru, Rajasthan
- Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the ‘Titanwala Museum‘ which showcases the Chhipa community’s art of traditional hand-block printing at Bagru, Rajasthan.
- The initiative of setting up the museum was taken up by Suraj Narayan Titanwala, as an effort towards preserving the art of traditional Bagru block printing.
800-kg “Astounding Bhagavad Gita” unveiled by Narendra Modi in Delhi
- Narendra Modi has unveiled a 800-kg “Astounding Bhagavad Gita” at ISKCON temple in Delhi. This book is the world’s largest sacred book and was prepared by ISKCON devotees.
- 700 Sanskrit verses” after “original” and “along with the commentary of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (ISKCON’s Founder-Acharya)”.
Muhammadu Buhari got his second term as Nigeria’s President
- Muhammadu Buhari, who is a member of All Progressive Congress (APC) has defeated Atiku Abubakar with more than three million votes in the election to become the President of Africa’s most populous country – Nigeria for the second time.
World NGO Day 2019 was observed on 27th Feb
- the human Right activists and all individuals celebrated world NGO Day 2019. It was officially recognized and declared by the 12 member countries of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States and first time marked by the rest of the world, UN, EU leaders and international organizations in 2014.
- The day is for NGOs around the globe to display the efforts and achievements of non-profit and non-governmental organizations from all sectors. It also plays a significant role and is appreciated around the world.
National War Memorial to the nation dedicated to the nation by PM Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the National War Memorial(NWM) near India Gate in New Delhi which commemorates the soldiers who participated and made the supreme sacrifice in Peacekeeping Missions and Counter Insurgency Operations.
- The complex includes a central obelisk, an eternal flame and six bronze murals depicting famous battles fought by Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. Busts of the 21 awardees of Param Veer Chakra have been installed at Param Yoddha Sthal.
Playwright Mahesh Elkunchwar chosen for the META lifetime achievement award
- Mahesh Elkunchwar, an eminent Indian Playwright, has been chosen for 2019’s META Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be conferred upon him at the 14th Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META) festival to be held in New Delhi on 12th March 2019.
- He is critically-acclaimed and famous for having experimented with a wide range of drama and is considered a powerful force in both Indian and Marathi theatre scene. His 1985 play ‘Wada Chirebandi‘ (Old Stone Mansion) has been staged in Marathi,Hindi and Bengali and also adapted for television.
The 91st Academy Awards (Oscars 2019)
- The 91st Academy Awards (commonly known as Oscars), presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 2018, on February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
- It was the first ceremony in three decades, since the 61st Academy Awards in 1989, to be conducted with no host.
- Bohemian Rhapsody won the most awards in total with 4, while Roma, Green Book, and Black Panther won 3 awards each.
- India-set short film, “Period. End of Sentence.”, a short documentary film based on mensuration won the Oscar for “Best Documentary Short” category. It is directed by Iranian-American film director, Rayka Zehtabchi.
- ”Black Panther” became the first superhero film to win “Best Original Score”.
- ”Roma” created history by becoming the first Mexican feature to win “Best Foreign Film” Oscar.
- Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart became the first African-Americans to win Oscar in Product Design category for Black Panther.
- A suicide terror attack was conducted by a Pakistan-based terrorist organization Jaish-e-Mohammad at Pulwama lead to the martyrdom of 40 CRPF soldiers.
The Indian Air Force strikes against Jaish-e- Mohammed camps in Pakistan
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has struck against Jaish-e-Mohammed camp in Pakistan in the pre-dawn hours of 26th February 2019.
- Twelve Indian Air Force Mirage 2000-5 IN fighter jets crossed the Line of Control around and dropped laser-guided bombs over the terrorist camp.
The 49th Kerala state film awards:
- The 49th Kerala State Film Awards was announced on February 27 by the state government.
- Actors Jayasurya and Soubin Shahir won the ‘Best Actor’ award.
- Nimisha Sajayan won the ‘Best
- The movie Kaanthan, The Lover of Colour starring Daya Bai and Master Prajith won the Best Film award.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.
Entri wishes all the candidates the very best for the upcoming examination!