Table of Contents
Indian Army is one of the most renowned professions in India. Joining the Indian Army requires a minimum qualification of being a graduate. As per the Short Service Commission scheme, females willing to be a part of the Indian Army can serve for fourteen years. They are free to enter different branches like Medical, Engineering, Law, and others.
The Indian Army has 6,807 women and constitutes 0.56% of the Army, the Indian Air Force has 1,607 women representing 1.08% of the Force and the Indian Navy has 704 female officers who constitute 6.5% of the Naval Force.
Women In Indian Army: How to join
Female candidates can join the Indian Army in the mentioned three ways,
- Graduate UPSC (Non-Technical)
- Graduate UPSC (Technical)
- Graduate Non-UPSC
Graduate UPSC (Non-Technical)
Short Service Commission (non-technical) is one option for applicants with a non-engineering background to enter the armed forces. Every year, the UPSC conducts a recruitment examination to select eligible candidates in the non-technical post. The process generally takes place twice a year, in February and September. Candidates who pass the written test are subsequently invited to an interview with the Service Selection Board (SSB).
The posts coming under UPSC Non-Technical branch are:
- Indian Foreign Service
- The Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service Group A
- Indian Postal Service Group A
- Indian Revenue Service (IT) Group A
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Central Excise) Group A
- Indian Civil Accounts Service Group A
- Indian Railway Account Service Group A
- Indian Railway Personnel Service Group A
- The Indian Defence Estates Service Group A
- Indian Corporate Law Service Group A
- Indian Information Service, Junior Grade Group A
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service Group B.
- Female applicants should be unmarried.
- Candidates should be between 19 to 25 years of age.
- They should also have a graduation/post graduation in any discipline from an acknowledged university.
Graduate UPSC (Technical)
The conducting authority selects female candidates only based on merit in the UPSC Technical branch and there is no written examination. Candidates should be shortlisted according to the cut-off percentage that is applied to the candidate’s marks that they receive till the sixth semester in college. Candidates should have graduate degree in any engineering subject are eligible to apply for the Short Service Commission (Technical) posts.
The UPSC Technical posts include:
- The Indian Railway Traffic Service Group A
- Indian Police Service (IPS) Group A
- Railway Protection Force (RPF) Group A
- Pondicherry Police Service Group B
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service Group B
- Only unmarried candidates can apply.
- Female candidates should be between 20 to 27 years.
There are two categories under the Graduate Non-UPSC category: National Cadet Corps, Judge Advocate General.
National Cadet Corps (NCC)
The National Cadet Corps, commonly known as the NCC, it is an organization dedicated to youth development and trains young individuals in small arms and parades. Female applicants who have served as active volunteers in the NCC are eligible to join the Indian Army through this way. It is an excellent opportunity for female candidates to join the Indian Army through this medium.
- Only unmarried female candidates can apply.
- Females candidates between the age group of 19 to 25 years are eligible.
- The candidates must be graduates from a recognized university with a total 50% aggregate.
- Two years of service in NCC Senior Division Army obtaining a minimum ‘B’ Grade in ‘C’ certificate exam.
Short Service Commission (Joint Advocate General)
The Joint Advocate General is an Indian Army component that offers legal assistance to the military, primarily in court-martials and military law. Candidates applying for this position need to have a law degree. There is no written exam for JAG entry, and the nominated candidates are called for an SSB interview. Candidates who pass the SSB interview are need to undergo for a medical examination by the military hospital.
This is a very appropriate job for women, along with other prestigious Government Jobs. The Indian Army selects eight female candidates via the JAG entrance process.
- Females candidates applying for this position must be unmarried and within the age group 21 and 27 are eligible.
- Candidates should have the LLB degree from a college recognized University/ Board with at least 55% aggregate.
- Candidates need to be registered with the Indian or State Bar Council.
Women In Indian Army: Eligibility
- Candidates who have passed the SSLC, Plus two Examination or its equivalent with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics from recognized education boards are eligible to apply for the posts in the Indian Army.
- Only unmarried candidates can apply.
- Female candidates should be between 20 to 27 years.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field or a B. tech. Degree with at least 60 percent marks can apply.
- Various posts women can served in Indian Army as Army Aviation Corps, Army Corps of Signals, Army Dental Corps, Army Education Corps, Army Medical Corps, Army Ordnance Corps, Army Postal Service Corps, Army Service Corps, Corps of Army Air Defence, Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers, Corps of Engineers, Corps of Military Police, Intelligence Corps, Judge Advocate General’s Department, Military Nursing Service, Regiments (Artillery), Territorial Army.
(i) For SSC(Tech)- SSCW(Tech)- 30 Women. 20 to 27 years as on 01 Oct 2022 (Candidates born between 02 Oct 1995 and 01 Oct 2002, both days inclusive).
(ii) For widows of Indian Armed Forces Defence Personnel who Died in Harness Only. SSCW (Non Tech) [Non UPSC] and SSCW(Tech)- A maximum of 35 years of age as on 01 Oct 2022.
Women In Indian Army: Pay Scale
The salary structure for the personnel in the Indian army is same for all officers, whether he is a male or a female of the same rank. The salary structure differs according to the position they are assigned to. Indian Army gets benefits like ranks and salaries with additional perks and advantages. Only difference is the additional allowances based on deployment such as Siachen, classified hard areas, CI duties, special forces, aviation pilot, class of city, etc.
A male officer and a female officer of same rank and tenure (Years of service after commissioning) will be deployed at the same location on same duties with same specialization, and will have the salary and allowances available without any differences.
Indian Army Basic Pay- It is a fixed amount and it is the lowest earnings of any employee based mostly on his/her designation. It generally incorporates 35-50% of the overall salary, besides for any bonuses, allowances, or deductions.
Indian Army Grade Pay- The Grade pay of any government employee is calculated on the idea of its class, category, and pay band. It is calculated steady with the norms of the 7th pay rate performed on the placed up of the employee.
Indian Army Salary By Rank
|Indian Army Post
|Pay Scale||Grade Pay||Army Service Pay|
|Brigadier||–||37,400 – 67,000 (Level 13A)||8,900||6,000|
|Captain||75,000||15,600 – 39,100 (Level 10 B)||6,100||6,000|
|Colonel||1,30,000||37,400 – 67,000 (Level 13)||8,700||6,000|
|Havaldar||40,000||5,200 – 20,200 (Level 5)||2,800||2,000|
|Lance Naik||30,000||5,200 – 20,200||2,000||2,000|
|Lieutenant||68,000||15,600 – 39,100 (Level 10)||5,400||6,000|
|Lieutenant Colonel||1,12,000||37,400 – 67,000 (Level 12)||8,000||6,000|
|Lieutenant General||–||37,400 – 67,000||–||–|
|Major||1,00,000||15,600 – 39,100 (Level 11)||6,600||6,000|
|Major General||–||37,400 – 67,000 (Level 14)||10,000||–|
|Naib Subedar||45,000||9,300 – 34,800 (Level 6)||4,200||2,000|
|Naik||35,000||5,200 – 20,200 (Level 4)||2,400||2,000|
|Sepoy||25,000||5,200 – 20,200 (Level 3)||1,800||2,000|
|Subedar||50,000||9,300 – 34,800 (Level 7)||4,600||2,000|
|Subedar Major||65,000||9,300 – 34,800 (Level 8)||4,800||2,000|
Indian Army Rank-wise Salary: After 7th Pay Commission
|Rank / Pay Level||Salary (After 7th Pay Commission)|
|Chief of Army Staff (Level 18)||INR 2,50,000/- (Fixed)|
|VCOAS/ Army Cmdr./ Lieutenant General (NEGS) (Level 17)||INR 2,25,000/- (Fixed)|
|Indian Army Lieutenant General Salary (level 15)||INR 1,82,200/- – INR 2,24,100/-|
|Indian Army Major General Salary (level 14)||INR 1,44,200/- – INR 2,18,200/-|
|Indian Army Brigadier Salary (level 13 A)||INR 1,39,600/- – INR 2,17,600/-|
|Indian Army Colonel Salary (level 13)||INR 1,30,600/- – INR 2,15,900/-|
|Indian Army Lieutenant Colonel Salary (level 12)||INR 1,21,200/- – INR 2,12,400/-|
|Indian Army Major Salary (level 11)||INR 69400/- – INR 2,07,200/-|
|Indian Army Captain Salary (level 10 B)||INR 61,300/- – INR 1,93,900/-|
|Indian Army Lieutenant Salary (level 10)||INR 56,100/- – INR 1,77,500/-|
|Indian Army Subedar Major Salary (level 8)||INR 34,800/-|
|Indian Army Subedar Salary (level 7)||INR 34,800/-|
|Indian Army Naib Subedar Salary (level 6)||INR 34,800/-|
|Indian Army Havaldar Salary (level 5)||INR 34,800/-|
|Indian Army Naik Salary (level 4)||INR 20,200/-|
|Indian Army Lance Naik Salary (level 3)||INR 20,200/-|
|Indian Army Sepoy Salary (level 3)||INR 20,200/-|
Indian Army Allowances
Apart from the salary and the House Rent Allowances (HRA) the Indian army officers are provided with lots of allowances and perks. Some of the extra various allowances are outlined below,
- Transportation Allowances – INR 3,600/- +DA – INR 7200/- +DA
- Military Service Pay – INR 15,500/- (From Lt. Post to Brig)
- Counterinsurgency – INR 6300/-
- Uniform Allowances – INR 20,000/- per Year
- Field Area Allowances – INR10,500/-
- Parachute Pay – INR 1200/-
- High Altitude Allowances – INR 5300/-
- Siachen – INR 42,500/- per month
- Special Forces – INR 9000/- per month
- Flying Pay – INR 25,000
- Casual Leave of 20 Days
- Encash of Leave up to 300 Days of Last Pay Drawn
- Study Leave of up to 2 Years with Full Pay and all Benefits
- Lifelong Pension
- Dearness Allowance: same as civilian personnel
- Death Cum Retirement Gratuity and Foreign Postings.
Indian Army Salary: Other Allowances
In addition to the allowances mentioned above, some of the other allowances and benefits given to the Indian Army.
- Air/ Rail Travel Concession
- Free Hospital Facilities
- Low-Interest Rates on Loans
- Canteen Facilities, Rations, and others.
Women In Indian Army: Ranks
|Army Aviation Corps||2020|
|Army Service Corps||2020|
|Corps of Army Defence||2020|
|Corps of Military Police||2020|
|Corps of Engineers||2020|
|Regiments (Artillery)||1992 (Non combatant roles)|
|Army Ordnance Corps||1992|
|Army Postal Service Corps||1992|
|Army Education Corps||1992|
|Corps of Electronics and Mechanical Engineers||1992|
|Judge Advocate General’s Department||1992|
|Army Dental Corps||1888|
|Military Nursing Service||1888|
Revised Terms and Conditions of Service of SSCOs (Men and Women both Technical and Non-Technical)
Prominent features of the revised policy are :
Extension of Tenure
- Tenure of Short Service Commission. Short Service Commission (SSC), in the Regular Army will be granted for 14 years i.e. for an initial period of 10 years, extendable by four years.
- Duration of Training 49 weeks.
Substantive Promotion: SSCOs will be eligible for substantive promotion.
- To the rank of Capt. – on completion of two years reckonable commissioned service.
- To the rank of Maj – on completion of six years reckonable commissioned service.
- To the rank of Lt Col – on completion of 13 years reckonable commissioned service.
Indian Air Force for Women
To join the Air Force, you must pass the AFCAT test, which is given twice a year (February and August). The shortlisted candidates are summoned for the Air Force Selection Board (AFSB) interview round. On successful completion of the interview round, the candidates need to undergo medical tests.
Flying branch will involve flying fighter planes, helicopters, cargo aircraft, etc. Applying for this position will need the candidate to have a B.Tech/B.E. degree with a minimum of 60% marks from a recognized university. Female candidates who hold an Air Wing Senior Division ‘C’ certificate, can directly apply to the post. Maths and Physics in the 12th grade are compulsory.
- Females between the age of 19 to 23 years can apply for this branch.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field or a B.Tech Degree with at least 60 percent marks.
- As an Air Wing Senior Division ’C’ Certificate holder of the National Cadet Corps, you can apply to the Flying Branch of the Indian Air Force directly.
Candidates are hired based on the AFCAT exam. There are two types of services under this branch- Aeronautical Engineer (Mechanical) and Aeronautical Engineer (Electrical). Female engineering students in the age group 20 and 26 can apply for this position.
- A four-year degree from an acknowledged university with at least 60 percent marks in at least eight courses as specified in the announcement.
- Cleared Section A and B exam of Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers or Aeronautical Society of India in regular courses.
- OR graduate membership exam of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers in regular courses.
Women In Indian Army FAQs
Q. Can female candidates apply in Indian Army?
Answer: Yes, Female candidates can get jobs in Indian Army.
Q. What is the starting salary in Indian Army?
Answer: Average salaries for soldiers starting range from INR 25,000 to INR 30,000.
Q. How could female candidates can apply in Indian Army?
Answer: The most recent opening for women in Indian army is the NDA Exam.
Q. Is salary structure in the Indian army is same for female as well as male candidates?
Answer: The salary structure differs according to the position they are assigned to.
Download the Entri App, the best educational and preparation app to secure a job. Through Entri you can access practice papers, previous questions papers, crash courses and can attempt a number of mock tests. Entri provides you with effective and customized study materials and provides well accurate study habits. The expert teachers in Entri will help you to identify your weak zones and help you to build your confidence. Entri provides you effective learnings in a period of time with the help of expert teams and you can accomplish the goal with the Entri App. Start your preparation for your dream government job with Entri App. We provide a wide range of courses over different government exams. We are providing you the best platform for the preparations for every prestigious exam.