Easily regarded as one of the most versatile fruits ever to be in nature, a Coconut is itself a miracle. Its health benefits added with the economical sake, it is truly a boon to mankind. Therefore, in order to appreciate the love for this marvelous fruit, we observe a holiday to mark World Coconut Day. Every year, the 2nd of September is celebrated as World Coconut Day across the globe. As the Asian and Pacific regions celebrate this unique fruit with great fervor, all the other regions of the world also join hand in hand to popularize this fruit. While World Coconut Day is just around the corner, let us willfully take some time to learn all about the celebration! Keep Reading for more!
World Coconut Day 2022
You will obviously fall in love with a rich and creamy, Kerala style coconut infused Prawn curry , which is definitely a delicacy! Or a great Pina Colada! Don’t dare to imagine these mouth watering treats without the wonder fruit – Coconut! Not only for being an outstanding fruit or an exceptional ingredient in food, there are many prominent reasons to celebrate Coconut Day.
World Coconut Day History
Until 2009, there was no specific day to celebrate this incredible fruit called coconut. When a non-beneficiary organization called as Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) took birth in 2009 to facilitate the coconut production centers across the world, that is when the celebration of World Coconut Day actually came into existence. Hence, to commemorate the formation of APCC, every year, the 2nd of September is celebrated as World Coconut Day.
Coconut – The Elemental Facts
To begin with, coconut is the edible fruit of the Coconut Palm. Scientifically known as Cocos nucifera, this tree belongs to the palm family of Arecaceae. As a matter of fact, these trees are widely seen and cultivated as crops in the tropical regions. The major countries where coconut palms are found flourishing are South East Asia, Indonesia, India, Australia, the Pacific Islands, South America, Africa, the Caribbean, and the southern extremes of North America.
A coconut is obviously regarded as an exceptional fruit primarily due to its interesting physical nature. Some of the noteworthy physical features of a coconut.
- Shape- ovoid or ellipsoid
- Size – 300–450 mm (12–18 inches) in length and 150–200 mm (6–8 inches) in diameter.
- A thick and fibrous husk that covers the fruit.
- The embryo is enclosed by a hard shell.
- The fleshy part of the fruit is the endosperm.
When is World Coconut Day Date Celebrated
As we know by now, World Coconut Day is celebrated on 2nd September 2022, Friday
World Coconut Day Date 2021- 2nd September 2022, Thursday
World Coconut Day Theme 2022
Each year, the organizers of World Coconut Day come up with unique themes to celebrate this special day. Have a look at the table below for the themes upon which World Coconut Day is celebrated.
|2020||Invest In Coconut To Save The World. ‘|
|2019||Coconut For Family Wellness|
|2018||Coconut for Good Health, Wealth & Wellness|
|2017||A Healthy Wealthy Life with Coconut|
|2016||Coconut for Family Nutrition, Health and Wellness|
World Coconut Day Quotes
Believe it or not, there are many interesting quotes about this interesting fruit. Let us have a look at some of them.
- Coconut is one of those love-hate ingredients. – Marcus Samuelsson
- Coconut milk is the only thing on this planet that comes identically to mother’s milk. – Dick Gregory
- The two basic items necessary to sustain life are sunshine and coconut milk. – Dustin Hoffman
- For I am coconut / and the heart of me / is sweeter / than you know. – Nikki Grimes
- Yes, we could solve for why, but we could also eat another slice of coconut cake. – Sam Lipsyte
- I think that the heart is a lot like those wonderful fruits, like coconut and mangoes. You know, you have to break the skin, you have to break it open to get to the good part. – Saul Williams
- In the garden of gentle sanity, May you be bombarded by coconuts of wakefulness. – Chogyam Trungpa
- The cyclone ends. The sun returns; the lofty coconut trees lift up their plumes again; man does likewise. The great anguish is over; joy has returned; the sea smiles like a child. – Paul Gauguin
- Her hands were empty now, as empty as her heart, which itself was a coconut shell with its meat scooped out. – Thrity Umrigar
- But the coconut is also a symbol of resilience, Samar. Even in the conditions where there’s very little nourishment and even less nurturance, it flourishes, growing taller than most of the plants around it. – Neesha Meminger
Nutritional Facts of Coconut
Coconut is itself a rich source of various nutrients. Apart from the flesh of the coconut, coconut water also has many health benefits and great nutritional value. Check out the table below to know about the nutritional facts of coconut.
In every 100g of coconut flesh, there are approximately 354 calories.
|Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary fiber 9 g
Sugar 6 g
|Total Fat 33 g
Saturated fat 30 g
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Potassium 356 mg||10%|
|Protein 3.3 g||6%|
Interesting Facts About Coconut
- Coconut is not a nut, but a fruit.
- The word “coconut” was coined from “coco” which means laughing faced, as the three dots on coconut resembled a human face.
- Under ideal conditions, a healthy coconut tree bears fruit for up to 80 years!
- Coconut can float in water.
- Coconut water was amazingly used as a replacement for IV drip due to the shortage of plasma during the second world war.
- The national tree of Maldives is the Coconut Palm.
- On an average, coconut water contains 94% water.
- Indonesia, Philippines and India are the world’s top three producers of coconut.
- The husk of a coconut shall be used as a natural mosquito repellent when burnt.
- Coconut oil is used in the cosmetic industry like no other oil owing to the results.
Benefits of Coconut
- It is a great source of healthy fats.
- Along with protein and fibre, the flesh of coconut contains minerals like magnesium, manganese, copper and iron.
- It is used as a traditional medicine to cure inflammations, infections, etc.
- The coconut flesh contains an enormous amount of Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA). This boosts endurance, oral health and in losing weight.
- It acts as a great moisturizer to the skin.
- In countries where coconut is the major crop plant, it contributes heavily to the GDF.
- The coconut plantations give a decent employment to thousands of people.
- Many eatable products like coconut butter, coconut milk, coconut spread, coconut puree, coconut desiccated, coconut flour, coconut sugar, ice cream are now readily available in the market for consumers.
- Products made from coir such as broom, yarn, mats, rugs, chips, textiles, mattresses, etc also contribute to the economy of the country.
World Coconut Day Celebrations
There are plenty of ways by which we can celebrate the holiday on World Coconut Day. All you need to do is try to incorporate the essence of the theme and familiarize the common people with more facts and knowledge about coconut.
Crack a Nut & Make it Fun
Why not take this day lightly and try opening up some coconuts! People who have been through it earlier clearly know that cracking a coconut can be tricky. So have some fun this time and hold a game with your peers.
Try different cuisines
Coconut is a versatile fruit. No matter what part of it we consider, it comes to use in one way or the other. The flesh of coconut and coconut water are mostly used in a variety of food preparations ranging from curries to desserts. So, try out any lip smacking delicacy using coconut and serve it to your loved ones!
Throw a theme party
Now, this is going to be fun! Throw a coconut based theme party to your friends or family and have some fun. Make use of the fruit in whatever way possible in order to enhance its versatility.
Organize events at schools
School children are the most curious, when it comes to celebrations and related activities. So, give an opportunity for these little children to showcase their talents on this World Coconut Day. Organize events like painting, poster designing, slogan writing, etc but all related to the observance of coconut day!
Participate in Events by APCC
The Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) is the parent organization responsible for the observance of World Coconut Day across different countries. Also, APCC has regional offices in almost every country of the world. Moreover, the Coconut Development Board (CBD) in association with the APCC conducts various campaigns and events to celebrate the World Coconut Day. These events that are conducted locally, are mainly meant for the participation of the people residing in that area. So, try your maximum to participate and spread the news about the celebration.
Use Social Media for the Spread
In the present scenario, online celebrations through social media have the most important role in making any event a success. So, on this World Coconut Day make the maximum use of social media to educate the masses about the importance and value of coconut. Use the hashtag #worldcoconutday and post relevant images or news.
Let’s go coconuts this season! Enjoy this holiday in the most beautiful way possible and make it a memorable one! Together with that make sure to educate people on the uses , health benefits and nutritional value of this amazing fruit. A Gleamy Coconut Day Wish to all our readers!