International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, address global problems, and celebrate and reinforce the achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities, and citizens make the international day a springboard for awareness-raising actions. In this article let us check on World Development Information Day 2022 – History, Goals, Quiz and Quotes . Information and communications technologies have the potential to provide new solutions to development challenges, particularly in the context of globalization, and can foster economic growth, competitiveness, access to information and knowledge, poverty eradication and social inclusion. The United Nations’ (UN) World Development Information Day is annually held on October 24 to draw attention of worldwide public opinion to development problems and the need to strengthen international cooperation to solve them.
World Development Information Day 2022 – Sunday, 24 October
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- History of World Development Information Day
- World Development Information Day – Goals
- Ways to observe World Development Information Day
- World Development Information Day Quotes
- World Development Information Day Quiz
History of World Development Information Day 2022
In 1972, the United Nations General Assembly decided to institute a World Development Information Day coinciding with United Nations Day on October 24. The General Assembly had the object of drawing the attention of world public opinion each year to development problems and the necessity of strengthening international co-operation to solve them.The day was further recognized as the date on which the International Development Strategy for the Second Nations Development Decade was adopted in 1970. World Development Information Day was first held on October 24, 1973.
On May 17, 1972, the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) proposed measures for information dissemination and for the mobilization of public opinion relative to trade and development problems. These became known as resolution 3038 (XXVII), which the UN General Assembly passed on December 19, 1972. This resolution called for introducing World Development Information Day to help draw the attention of people worldwide to development problems.
The UN General Assembly in 1964 established The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), with the primary objective of formulating policies relating to all aspects of development including trade, transport, aid, finance, and technology. UNCTAD is a part of the UN secretariat.
Prior to officially announcing 24th October as World Development Information Day, the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) proposed measures for dissemination of information and for the mobilization of public opinion, relative to trade and development problems on May 17th, 1972. It was then passed by the UN General Assembly on May 19th, 1972.
World Development Information Day – Goals
A aim of the event is to explain to the general public why it is necessary to strengthen international cooperation to find ways to solve these problems. The assembly also decided that the day should coincide with United Nations Day to stress the central role of development in the UN’s work.
These have concentrated on the role that modern information-technologies, such as the Internet and mobile telephones free from digital divide can play in alerting people and finding solutions to problems of trade and development. One of the specific aims of World Development Information Day was to inform and motivate young people and this change may help to further this aim.
In 2016, world leaders launched their 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- To end poverty
- To end hunger and improve sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being
- Ensure inclusive and quality education
- Achieve gender equality
- Ensure the availability of water and sanitation
- Ensure access to affordable energy
- Build resilient infrastructure
- Reduce inequality
- Make all cities inclusive and safe
- Ensure sustainable consumption
- Combat climate change
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans and marine resources
- Protect and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems
- Promote peaceful societies and provide access to justice
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
To achieve all of these goals, the UN needs to implement improved communication and information dissemination. World leaders hope that improvements in modern technology will also help to achieve these goals.
World Development Information Day – Activities
The main aim of this day is to propagate information and mobilize public opinion, especially among young people, in order to draw their attention and create awareness of the problems surrounding development, promoting efforts in the field of international cooperation for growth and development.
- Work towards the sustainable development goals set by the United nations. Pick any from it and try to work towards a better world. Initiate the great act on this day by taking a resolution on which issue you shall work for and also involves others to join
- Use technology and social media platform to create awareness and involve the world towards the achievement of the sustainable development goals
- Promote peace. Promote activities that will help in instilling peace and harmony in the society. As the main objective of United nations was to spread peace across the world. Help in involving voluntarily in such activities and help in promoting peace in day to day lives.
- Conflict resolutions skills has to be included as activities in day to day life to help us handle emotions. Learning to handle stress and conflict is very important to promote peace and harmony. hence activities and training can be conducted on handling emotional and mental well-being of people.
- Take part in humanitarian cause. Volunteer for charity works. Fund raise for Charity. Conduct surveys and find out the people in need of basic needs of livelihood. Conduct Humanitarian drive and involve many to work together for this cause.
- Working towards sustainable environment is also one of the major objective of United Nations. Involving in environmental activities will also help in obtaining this objective. Awareness sessions can be conducted online and people can be made aware on the importance of protecting the environment.
World Development Information Day Quotes 2022
- “The developing world is full of entrepreneurs and visionaries, who with access to education, equity and credit would play a key role in developing the economic situations in their countries.”– Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Prize winner
- “We get so little news about the developing world that we often forget that there are literally millions of people out there struggling to change things to be fairer, freer, more democratic, less corrupt.” – Alex Steffen, American futurist
- To grow it is important to learn. Learning from more developed nations and working together to ensure growth and development of our nation is what World Development Information Day is all about
- Facing the struggle today is important to develop the strength the nation needs for the future. Don’t give up.
- World Development Information Day help to make people realize that information and communications technologies have the potential in them to provide new solutions to developmental challenges of a nation.
- You have believed in it before you see it. Believe in development and it will come true.
- Build a strong team and use others strengths to overcome your weakness. Achieve all goals of development growth of the nation
World Development Information Day Quiz 2022
1. On what date did the U. N. O. adopt the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?
A) 20th October, 1945
B) 24th October, 1945
C) 26th June, 1945
D) 10th December, 1948
2. Which of the following is not one of the official languages of the U.N.O.?
3. Who coined the term United Nations?
A) Franklin D Roosevelt
B) Harry Truman
C) Winston Churchill
D) Joseph Stalin
4. Which organ of the UNO functions from Peace Palace in The Hague, The Netherlands?
A) Security Council
B) General Assembly
C) Economic and Social Council
D) International Court of Justice
5. Which of the following is NOT a specialized agency of the United Nations Organisation?
A) World Trade Organisation
B) World Health Organisation
C) World Meteorological Organisation
D) World Intellectual Property Organisation
6. What is the term of the President of the UN General Assembly?
A) 4 years
B) 2 years
C) 1 year
D) 5 years
7. Who was the first Indian to be the President of U. N. General Assembly ?
A) Natwar Singh
B) V. K. Krishna Menon
C) Smt. Vijay Laxmi Pandit
D) Romesh Bhandari