Table of Contents
World Patient Safety Day date is on September 17. 2022. WHO has introduced the theme for 2022 as to ‘Safe maternal and new born care’ and put forward the slogan ‘Act now for safe and respectful childbirth!’ The WHO has put forward the theme specifically due to the high rate of childbirth deaths and pregnancy complications.
Also, the WHO pointed out these complications were sometimes preventable and necessary action need to be taken for this. To raise awareness and bring adequate precautions measures, the WHO has encourages all the governmental and non-governmental organizations to hold the notion of safe maternal and newborn care.
Significance of World Patient Safety Day 2022
The safety of the future is in our hands and a tiny carelessness can make a huge mistake. Thus, this year precautions measures for pregnancy and newborn babies are advised. Creating awareness and letting the world know the actual truth regarding the death rates too stands as a priority.
It is recorded that, approximately 810 women and 6700 newborns are endangered and suffering under the plight of loss due to many complex situations which could have been avoided. The medical field is being alert in this fact and ready to support the campaign which pronounces the slogan Act now for Safe and Respectful Childbirth. The necessity to act now for the future is implied by the WHO this year.
In this covid scenario, the death rates have increased immensely due to the loaded covid cases and the endangering situation newborn had to withstand. Thus, World Patient Safety Day fights on the behalf of the newborn and helpless ones.
Objectives of World Patient Safety Day 2022
- To build global awareness on the problems of maternal and newborn security, especially throughout childbirth.
- Involve various stakeholders and utilize efficient and practical approaches to improve maternal and newborn safety.
- For sustainable efforts by all stakeholders to build up efforts and ensure safe maternal and newborn care, especially through childbirth.
- Promote the adoption of best methods at the period of care to limit avoidable dangers and injury to all women and newborns throughout childbirth.
History of World Patient Safety Day 2022
World Patient Safety Day is organized by the World Health Assembly in 2019 for purpose of WHA72.6 on “Global action on patient safety”. It is commemorated yearly on 17 September. The goals of the day are to improve global knowledge of patient safety, improve government action in health care safety, and support global efforts to limit and decrease avoidable harm in the wellness sector and healthcare sector. Every year, a new theme is chosen to cast light on a preference patient safety field wherever development is required to decrease avoidable harm in health care.
Recognizing the important responsibility of harm women and newborns are shown to due to unreliable care, 2021 year’s World Patient Safety Day is committed to the necessity to prioritize and discuss safety in maternal and newborn care, especially about the time of childbirth, while most harm happens. This is particularly relevant in the context of disruption of health services due to the COVID-19 situations.
Themes of World Patient Safety Day 2022
World Patient Safety Day 2021 theme is Safe maternal and newborn care
This year, the World Patient Safety Day ensures to create awareness regarding the safety issues faced in childbirth and pregnancy. As the death rates and complications are still raising in this field, the WHO has decided to introduce awareness for childbirth this year. The Slogan for this year’s campaign is “Act now for safe and respectful childbirth!”
Health Worker Safety: A Priority for Patient Safety (2020)
“World Patient Safety Day 2020 concentrated on the relationship within health worker security and patient protection. The motto, ‘Safe health workers, Safe patients’ was used worldwide. The demand for a safe functioning condition for health workers is a requirement for ensuring patient safety. Simultaneously with this slogan, WHO offered the call for progress: ‘Speak up for health worker safety!’.
Patient Safety: A Global Health Priority (2019)
The motive for the initial World Patient Safety Day was ‘Patient Safety: A Global Health Priority. To encourage open discussion for learning from mistakes and to highlight the value of everyone’s voice in prioritizing patient safety, the motto for the 2019 World Patient Safety Day was ‘Speak up for patient safety!’.
Activities and Celebration of World Patient Safety Day
World Patient Safety Day urges to create awareness worldwide to promote the safety and security of pregnant women and newborn babies. During the pandemic time, the activities and celebrations on the day are limited to the virtual stage. The WHO introduces the campaign Act now for safe and respectful childbirth! The WHO also encourages the stockholders and other governmental and non-governmental organizations to come forward to donate and make the future generation a better one with much safety and security. The possible activities for the day are
- You can conduct a webinar on the topic of childbirth and the safety of pregnant women
- You can trace out the records and create awareness to the world regarding the death rates and careless mistakes
- To can highlight the need for developed equipment’s in hospitals and ensure to help them reach out for more facilities
- You can help poor suffering women and children by donation
- The actual interference on this topic can be made through online platforms like social media where you can introduce a doctor or a gynecologist to talk about something related to the day and enlighten the listeners
- Build posters and Cards to build awareness
- Ask the victims to share their stories and create an awareness in the society
- Ask for an experience of a doctor or a person related to the medical field to create awareness for the listeners
World Patient Safety Day 2022 Quotes
- A healthy body is the guest-chamber of the soul; a sick, its prison. -Francis Bacon.
- In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties. -Henri Frederic Amiel
- Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness. -Earl of Derby
- Life is not merely being alive, but being well. – Marcus Aureli
Make this World Patient Safety Day 2022 on September 17. 2022 memorable with effective measures to enhance hospitality and minimize health care mistakes. In turn, provide the future generation with much hospitality and security. Raise awareness regarding the medical necessities and bring up the future generation healthy and happy!
Read More Articles on International Days Here