When a person is injured or deformed and suffers from chronic pain, most of the time it is the Physical Therapists that come to the rescue! Their role in our lives is incomparable to any. However, most of the time, it is underestimated and we tend to forget about their contributions to society. Therefore, to appreciate all the physical therapists around the world and raise a toast to the awesome job that they do in serving humanity, every year, the 8th of September is celebrated as the World Physical Therapy Day. The Physical therapists around the globe gather in unity and harmony to observe this special day. As we are nearing this important day, let us check out some of the major details about the World Physical Therapy Day 2021, in this article. Happy Reading Guys!
Physical Therapy – An Insight
One of the most prominent branches of allied health science, physical therapy or physiotherapy , is a form of treatment for patients who have trouble in movement due to any sort of immobilization or impairments. It is basically an exercise regime where the focus is on bringing back the patient to the best possible way and accelerates a speedy recovery.
Physiotherapy or physical therapy is often performed in order to encourage a patient’s ability to move after being immobilized due to any birth defect or an accident. Some of the major contexts in which physiotherapy is recommended or advised are given below:
- Boost the patient movement.
- Mitigate pain.
- Cope chronic illnesses like heart ailments, diabetes, etc.
- Adjust to the use of artificial limbs.
- Help with the use of assistive apparatus.
- Restoration of health after surgery, injury, stroke, etc.
World Physical Therapy Day 2022
Every year, the 8th of September is marked as the World Physical Therapy Day or the World Physiotherapy Day. This is specially observed in order to create awareness in the minds of the people about the role of physiotherapists in the allied health sciences and in keeping people fit. Apart from treating people who struggle with mobility and movement issues, the Physical Therapists around the globe strives to educate the patient in the most appreciable way about the damaged functionality. These licensed professionals are involved in treating patients of all age groups and lots of people around the globe are benefitted from this form of treatment every year. As the World Physical Therapy Day 2022 is just around the corner, it will be highly substantial, if the readers are aware of the details regarding it! So keep reading!
The one and only organization in the world that represents all the physical therapists or physiotherapists in the world is the World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT). It was founded on September 8th 1951 and is commonly called as World Physiotherapy. In order to commemorate the historic formation of this significant organization, the official declaration of World Physical Therapy Day was held on September 8th 1996. Since then, the World Physical Therapy Day is celebrated world wide in great fervour.
The first ever case of performing the physiotherapy dates back to the times of Hippocrates. He put forth the theory of pain treatment using simple techniques. This is advanced to many specialized therapies and applications in the modern era. However, there was limited progress in the field of Physiotherapy for centuries.
In 1813, a legal group of Physiotherapists was formed by the Swedish practitioner Henrik Ling. Known as the ‘Father of Swedish Gymnastics, he took efforts to create the Royal Central Institute of Gymnastics (RCIG). From then on, the popularity of physiotherapy began to rise.
Today, the field of Physical Therapy is used as a treatment for many different medical conditions. Some of the situations where Physical Therapy is widely used are osteoarthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, Back pain, Parkinson’s disease, muscular strains, bursitis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, asthma, fibromyalgia, wounds, rheumatoid arthritis, balance disorders, burns and other accidents. Even though the major goal of physiotherapy is relief from pain, it comes along with various other benefits like stress reduction, endurance, etc
World Physical Therapy Day Dates
As is known to us, the Physical Therapists around the globe are remembered for their efforts especially on September 8th every year. Check out the table below to know about the World Physical therapy Day Dates.
World Physical Therapy Day 2022 – September 8, Thursday
World Physical Therapy Day 2022 Theme
Every year, the organization celebrates the World Physical therapy Day or the physiotherapists Day with unique themes.
This year, World Physical Therapy Day 2022 Theme is “Rehabilitation and Long COVID-19”. Surprisingly the organization has decided to move on with the theme that was adopted last year in order to combat the issues of the pandemic.
Check out the table for more details regarding the previous year themes.
|2020||Rehabilitation and Long COVID-19|
|2018||Physical Therapy and Mental Health|
|2017||Physical activity for life|
|2016||Add life to years|
World Physical Therapy Day 2022 Quotes
Here are some great quotes related to World Physical Therapy Day. Have a look!
- “That which enhances performance, prevents injury. – Larry Hamilton.
- “I chose PT because I wanted to fuse my love of science and biomechanics with the ability to be on the frontlines of hands-on patient care.” – Ben Fung.
- “Strength training is coordination training against resistance.” -Frans Bosch.
- “It’s not the load that breaks an individual down. It’s the load they are not prepared for.” – Tim Gabbett.
- “Movement Principles produce movement techniques” – Ido Portal.
- “Being physically healthy is not expensive! Being injured is. So prevent injuries!” -Joerg Teichmann.
- “Rest is not the answer , Activity and therapy help healing most” ― Joerg Teichmann
- “Because if there’s anything you need to be a physical therapist, it’s a sense of humor.”― Adele Levine
- “Let’s not wait for perfect conditions to begin. Let’s begin to make perfect conditions for a healthy physical condition” -Joerg Teichmann.
- “I like going to the gym every day because I’m in physiotherapy every day.” -Daniel Craig
- “No class in physical therapy school prepared me to counsel a patient dealing with a life-changing injury.” ― Adele Levine
- “Effective reassurance is a bloody good pain killer” – Louis Gifford.
How to celebrate World Physical Therapy Day 2022 ?
Here are some of the activities by which we can observe World Physical Therapy Day 2021.
Shower your love
There are many physical therapists or physiotherapists in and around our locality. So, spare this day to shower your love and affection upon them in any possible way. Put efforts to bring a smile on their faces and show that you care!
Take part in events
In connection with the World Physical Therapy Day, many events and programs are organized world wide. So, join and take part in the event of your choice and share the responsibility.
Use Social Media for good
On this day, use all of the social media platforms to spread awareness and educate people about the role of Physiotherapists in society. Use the appropriate hashtag and serve your part.
Make a Short Exercise Video
In association with a certified physical therapist, create a short video that consists of exercises to make you physically fit. Spread and circulate the video to a larger audience.
Some Amazing Physical Therapy Facts
- As a matter of fact, Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy are the same. They do not bear any major differences.
- Physiotherapy is the most loved drug free alternative to many treatments.
- Arthritis and osteoporosis that are mostly associated with old age can be treated with proper physical therapy.
- Physiotherapy became widely popular during the second world war.
- Sessions of physical therapy shall be organized even in swimming pools.
As we wind up this article, let us all together take an oath and pledge ourselves to observe the World Physical Therapy Day 2021 in the best possible way. We wish all our readers a Happy and Healthy Life on this World Physical Therapy Day! Have a Great One, Folks!