World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day, observed on May 8th, is a global day to celebrate the uniqueness and unity of International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. On this day, we celebrate the principles, values, history and impact of International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. We also take this opportunity to show gratitude to the volunteers, members and staff to prevent and alleviate human suffering all over the world. These heroes risk their lives to save humanity and the least we can do is to shoe respect and gratitude to these selfless souls.
History of World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
Red Cross Day is the birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, the founder of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the first person to receive the Nobel Peace prize. A contribution to peace initiative known as Red Cross Truce was started after World War I. It was a three day truce in former Czechoslovakia which took place during Easter time. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) was founded in 1919 in Paris in the aftermath of World War I with five founding members namely Britain, France, Italy, Japan and the United States. Currently there are 192 recognized National Societies, a Secretariat in Geneva and delegations strategically located to support activities around the world. The first Red Cross and Red Crescent Day was held in 1948 on the 8th of May. The worldwide structure of the Red Cross and Red Crescent now consists of the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and the national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies. All Red Cross and Red Crescent activities have one central purpose: to help those who suffer, without discrimination, whether during conflict, in response to natural or man-made disasters, or due to conditions of chronic poverty.
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day 2022 Theme
Every year a theme is set which provides a focus for activities surrounding Red Cross and Red Crescent Day. The theme for the year 2022 is #BeHumanKIND. The past couple of years and months have been marked by several crisis. In the midst of all these, acts of kindness, however big or small, make a huge difference in people’s lives. These acts have the power to heal communities, countries and even the whole world. The theme for 2023 Red Cross Day is not disclosed
The 7 Fundamental Principles of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Humanity: To prevent and alleviate human suffering wherever it may be found. To protect the life, health and to ensure respect for every human being. It promotes mutual understanding, friendship, and cooperation among people.
- Impartiality: No discrimination should be made on the basis of nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions. To help the people only on the basis of their needs and to give priority to the most urgent cases of distress.
- Neutrality: To keep everyone neutral in providing help and the movement should not be affected by political, racial, religious or ideological controversies.
- Independence: This movement is independent. The National Societies, while auxiliaries in the humanitarian services of their governments and subject to the laws of their respective countries, must always maintain their autonomy so that they may be able at all times to act in accordance with the principles of the movement.
- Voluntary Service: It is voluntary relief movement not prompted in any manner by desire for gain.
- Unity: There will be just one Red Cross and Red Crescent in one country. This organization must carry on its humanitarian work throughout its territory and should be open to all.
- Universality: All societies have equal status and share equal liabilities and duties in helping each other, is worldwide.
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day 2023 Celebrations and Activities
- Volunteer yourself to many humanitarian activities held at your community.
- Try to learn about the activities of the Red Cross and disaster relief.
- Check for the various humanitarian services available around you and analyze on how you can be a part of it and do your best.
- At school, teachers can talk to their children about the importance of the Red Cross and Red Crescent all over the world.
- Indulge kids in activities that will help them understand the value of others life as well
- At work place start up small humanitarian service to help the needed employees when at distress
- Red Cross and Red Crescent society is launched almost everywhere. Check how you can volunteer and be a part of their service in your free time at least.
- Donate blood if you are healthy and capable. Check for blood donation camps nearby and volunteer
- Red cross and Red crescent organizes seminars and other sessions at different localities to mark this day
- National Societies that are affiliates to ICRC celebrates the World Red Cross Day in their countries to raise the need of protecting life.
- Red Cross officials assemble in various local towns or schools and encourage locals to voluntarily donate blood.
- World Red Cross Day is also celebrated through fund raising and donations. Local natives, societies, non-governmental organizations, companies, and many other types of organizations are encouraged to make their contribution to a certain account to raise money for assisting a dying life.
- Red Cross also helps people during the times of war and disasters.
- If possible help financially the humanitarian organizations in your locality so that in turn you will get an opportunity to serve the mankind who are in distress and need.
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day Quiz 2023
Which of the following is not one of the basic principles of World Red Cross Day?
d) Voluntary Service
Ans: b) Poverty
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) was formed in ___________.
Ans: b) 1919
How many did International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) win the Nobel Peace Prize?
Ans: d) 4
Who is the founder of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)?
a) Henry Dunant
b) Henry Douglas
c) Shaen Henry
d) Henry Murphy
Ans: a) Henry Dunant
Who is the current President of ICRC?
a) Alexandre Hay
b) Peter Maurer
c) Eric Martin
d) Jakob Kellenberger
Ans: b) Peter Maurer
To which convention is the ICRC inextricably linked?
a) First Geneva Convention
b) Budapest Convention
c) Washington Convention
d) Stockholm Convention
Ans: a) First Geneva Convention
Henry Dunant was the first person to receive _________ award.
a) Oscar Award
b) Nobel Peace Prize
c) Darwin Award
d) Academy Award
Ans: b) Nobel Peace Prize
What is the emblem of Red Cross?
a) Red cross with white background
b) Yellow cross with red background
c) Red cross with blue background
d) Red cross with yellow background
Ans: a) Red cross with white background
Where are the headquarters of The International Committee of the Red Cross?
d) New York
Ans: a) Geneva
Why is May 8th observed as Red Cross Day?
a) Birthday of Henry Durant
b) Death Anniversary of Henry Durant
c) The day Red Cross was established
d) The day ICRC was formed
Ans: a) Birthday of Henry Durant
There are _______ principles of Red Cross.
Ans: c) Seven
World Red Cross Day is meant to inspire, facilitate and also promote all humanitarian activities that are carried out by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and National Societies which are its members. This World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day, we’re celebrating all types of acts of kindness and showing how they have a truly global impact.
Entri App provides a great online platform for all those aspiring to appear for various bank exams, government exams and other competitive exams. Our team of experts provide short and precise video classes which helps in learning the concepts. Users get access to flash cards and quizzes and can attempt unlimited mock exams with the same pattern as that of the real exams. We also provide PDFs of previous years’ question papers with solutions. So kickstart your exam preparations with Entri App!