World Sight Day is celebrated every year on the second Thursday of the month of October. It is an event when people are’s attention is drawn towards blindness and vision impairment. there are almost 1 billion people who have near or distance vision impairment. This includes the cases that could have been prevented or still needs to be addressed. This includes people of all ages but concentrates mostly on people who have reached the age of 50 or above. People are quite excited to celebrate world sight day 2021 india.
There are various topics related to Sight that we will be discussing here. So keep reading!
History of World Sight Day
It was in the year 1990 that the idea of World Sight Day originated. it was an initiative taken by the SightFirst Campaign of Lions Club International Foundation (LCIF). it is an organization that was run by several sight programmes globally. This includes the development and maintenance of eye care systems, providing facilities for sight-restoring surgeries and distributing medication for people who are at a high risk of suffering from eye diseases. As claimed by LCIF, almost 30 million people have been able to restore and improve their vision.
World Sight Day 2021 Theme
Every year a new theme is set on World Sight Day. The themes are set by IAPB and create the main materials for the event. So for this year’s World Sight Day 2021 theme for the 14th of October, 2021 is – “Love Your Eyes.”
In the 74th World Health Assembly, the Member States adopted two new global targets related to eye care by 2030. The goal being there should be an increase of 40 per cent relating to effective coverage of refractive errors and a 30 per cent increase in effective coverage of cataract surgery. his will not only help increase global eye care coverage in the future but also will deliver quality services.
Different kinds of vision problems
There are quite a number of types of vision impairment and here we have discussed a few:
Blurred vision also known as refractive errors
- Nearsightedness is also known as myopia refers to when one can see clearly up close but it is blurry in the distance.
- Farsightedness that is also called hyperopia is when one can see clearly in the distance but it is blurry up close.
- One who is older than 40 and can have trouble reading small print or focusing up close so this is usually because of a condition called presbyopia.
- Astigmatism is a condition that results in blurred vision and is because of the shape of the cornea.
Crossed Eyes also known as strabismus
- Esotropia – a condition where the eye(s) turn inward towards the nose
- Exotropia – in this the eye(s) turn out and is also called wall-eyed
- Hypertropia – here one or both eyes turn up
- Hypotropia – in this one or both eyes turn down
Lazy Eye also known as Amblyopia
Amblyopia is often known as lazy eye. It is a problem that is common in children. It happens when the brain and the eyes do not work together. The treatment for amblyopia goes properly if found early. When not treated on time, it can lead to permanent vision loss.
How to Have Healthy Eyes?
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet: It is important to have a balanced diet that will include plenty of fruits and vegetables. Mostly deep yellow and green leafy vegetables are necessary. One should have fish if possible that helps in getting omega-3 fatty acids. Fishes like salmon, tuna are helpful for the eyes.
- Being regular with exercise: Exercises help in preventing and controlling diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. It is these diseases that can cause some eye or vision problems.
- Wear sunglasses whenever necessary: Sun exposure is not good for the eyes. It can damage the eyes and increase the chances of cataracts and other age-related macular degeneration.
As per surveys, almost six hundred million people are functionally blind either because they cannot access eye examinations or cannot afford glasses. The main aim of this day is to let people know how important it is to take steps towards taking care of one’s eye health, highlighting the reason why one needs to go to eye care services.
You can learn get more information about topics from the Entri app. Get mock test papers, video lectures and much more.