Table of Contents
The DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) has announced two successfully performed flight tests of the Indian Army version of MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missile) against high-speed aerial targets at Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the region of Odisha. The missiles took hold of the aerial targets and destroyed them entirely, recording straight hits at both ranges. The very first launch was to intercept a medium-altitude long-range target and the second launch was to demonstrate the capacity of a low altitude short-range target.
Two Pune-based DRDO authorities have contributed to the evolution of the missile system. The ground system and launcher of this system have been formulated and developed by the Pune-based Research and Development Establishment i.e Engineers and the High Energy Material Research Laboratory has encouraged and helped the propellant.
For the test trial on Wednesday, the execution of all weapon system elements, also including missile, weapon system radar and command post have been registered and validated. The flight tests were executed in the attendance of the senior officials from DRDO and the Indian Army. The Ministry of Defence said that “With the conclusion of flight trials for different scenarios and ranges, the system has accomplished its evolution trials” .
This MRSAM version is a Surface-to-Air Missile formulated collectively by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and DRDO, Israel for use by the Indian Army. The MRSAM Army weapon system consists of mobile launcher system, multi-function radar and other vehicles. The flight tests were conducted with the weapon system in deliverable configuration. The execution of the weapon system was validated through the flight data arranged by electro-optical tracking systems ,range instruments like radars and telemetry deployed by ITR, Chandipur. The flight tests were executed in the presence of senior officials from DRDO and Indian Army.
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has complimented and praised Indian Army, DRDO and the Industry for the successful flight tests of MRSAM-Army. He said that both the successful tests proved the capability of the weapon system in intercepting targets at critical ranges.
Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy and Secretary Department of Defence R&D congratulated the teams active in the successful flight trial of the Army version of MRSAM and declared that these tests are the major milestones for an ‘Independent Nation’.
MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missile) Test: Key Highlights
Given below are the key highlights MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missile).
- The Medium Range Surface to Air Missile tests were executed as a portion of the live firing trials against high-speed aerial targets.
- The first test interested intercepting a long-range and medium-altitude
- The second test interested a short-range and low-altitude
- The two missiles successfully intercepted the targets and wiped them out entirely, recording straight hits at both ranges.
- The missiles have been formulated collectively by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI)and DRDO for the Indian Army.
- The Medium Range Surface to Air Missile weapon system consists of a multi-function radar, mobile launcher system and other vehicles.
The execution of the system was registered and validated through the flight data that was arranged by range instruments like radars , selectro-optical tracking systems and telemetry deployed.
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh complimented and praised DRDO, the Indian Army and the industry for the successful flight tests of MRSAM-Army. He said that both the successful tests proves the capability of the weapon system in intercepting targets at critical ranges. .Out of INR 39 crore and 45 lakh overall outlay envisaged by the Union Budget 2022-23, the Ministry of Defence has got a share of Rs 5 crore 25 lakh which is 13.31% of the total budget. The total defence budget represents an improvement of Rs 46,970 crore (9.82 percent) over previous year’s budget approximation.
About This MRSAM version Surface-to-Air Missile
The main points about This MRSAM version Surface-to-Air Missile is given below.
1. This MRSAM version is a Surface-to-Air Missile formulated collectively by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and DRDO for use by the Indian Army.
2. The first test of the missile was executed in the month December in 2020.
3. The first test interested intercepting a long-range and medium-altitude target.
4. The Indian Army version of MRSAM is a Surface-to-Air Missile. The missiles have been formulated collectively by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and DRDO for the Indian Army.
Our R&D team provides the best material and books for the complete preparation of all government exams. We provide PDFs of the previous year’s question papers with solutions and detailed analysis. All you need to do is download the Entri app and start practicing.